Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · hey nX2 users

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · hey nX2 users

until now, i use ps cs3,4,5...for PP. But when the d4 came it came with NX2. I am thinking about using it instead of CS for PP. The DVD came with a big book, but since I am familiar with CS, I wonder if there is a "short cut" instruction out there so i can be efficient with NX2 in shorter time.
Thanks ahead

Jan 30, 2013 at 03:49 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · hey nX2 users

Didn't you ask this a year or two ago?

But go here, and watch a few videos: http://www.capturenx.com/en/lessons/lessons/index.html

Then go to YouTube and search for additional videos.

Here's the other thread: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1141891/0#10897585

Edited on Jan 30, 2013 at 08:23 PM · View previous versions

Jan 30, 2013 at 03:59 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · hey nX2 users

Use LR4. This will reduce your need for PS and NX2, plus give you a pretty nice DAM.

Jan 30, 2013 at 04:18 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · hey nX2 users

James R wrote:
Use LR4. This will reduce your need for PS and NX2, plus give you a pretty nice DAM.

2 years ago I installed LR, that started to take over every thing I did, all automatically! I hated it.So I unistalled it and never came back.

Jan 30, 2013 at 07:11 PM
sfb7

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · hey nX2 users

I would highly recommend Jason Odell's The Photographer's Guide to Capture NX2

http://www.luminescentphoto.com/nx2guide.html

Jan 30, 2013 at 07:56 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · hey nX2 users

One shortcut I know of is to save certain edits to presets - almost sorta like Lightroom does.

For instance, if you always have a baseline of editing options (like applying a high-pass of 2px at 75% luma and 80% transparency) you can name that set of edits and apply with a drop-down menu.

Jan 30, 2013 at 08:09 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · hey nX2 users

nugeny wrote:
2 years ago I installed LR, that started to take over every thing I did, all automatically! I hated it.So I unistalled it and never came back.

Strange, LR4 ingests the files and you decide what needs to be done. I apply completely different adjustments to images shot in the same session. BTW, LR 4 is so much better than earlier versions. Your problems with LR might have been due to a lack of training. Videos from Luminous-Landscape taught me many short cuts and improved my workflow and I have been using LR from version 1.

Jan 30, 2013 at 08:50 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · hey nX2 users

James R wrote:
Strange, LR4 ingests the files and you decide what needs to be done. I apply completely different adjustments to images shot in the same session. BTW, LR 4 is so much better than earlier versions. Your problems with LR might have been due to a lack of training. Videos from Luminous-Landscape taught me many short cuts and improved my workflow and I have been using LR from version 1.

I agree. The only time I go into photoshop anymore is basically when I need to do some really heavy editing. LR4 is the way to go IMO.

Jan 30, 2013 at 09:06 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · hey nX2 users

sfb7 wrote:

+1. That would be my recommendation.

I have CS5 and tried LR but prefer CNX2 -- IMO nothing is faster or easier or produces better results for editing images one at a time. You'll need something else if processing in volume though. And get a fast computer.

Jan 30, 2013 at 09:51 PM
RKnecht
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · hey nX2 users

sfb7 wrote:

+2

Back when LR4 came out, everyone I knew said I should ditch NX2 and try LR, I would love it. Not really. I find that I get better results faster and more consistently when using NX2. SO LR4 now lives on my wife's computer. NX2 may be "old", but why fix something that isn't broken?

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · hey nX2 users

I am sure it is lack of operator experience but I can understand nugeny's aggravation with LR. I tried a demo of LR several years ago and thought it was intuitive, very easy to use and navigate through it. It seemed like a really neat product. But I had PS so I never wound up getting LR. Now, I am on the Adobe Creative Cloud and it includes LR 4.3 so I loaded it. And it does seem to want to take over everything. If I plug in an external drive, LR automatically launches and wants to take over. It seems to want to move any photos I open to different folders. And I find it much less intuitive to my very limited LR editing knowledge. I am sure this new version is more capable but right now I am more happy using NX2.

Jan 31, 2013 at 03:01 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · hey nX2 users

Gregstx wrote:
I am sure it is lack of operator experience but I can understand nugeny's aggravation with LR. I tried a demo of LR several years ago and thought it was intuitive, very easy to use and navigate through it. It seemed like a really neat product. But I had PS so I never wound up getting LR. Now, I am on the Adobe Creative Cloud and it includes LR 4.3 so I loaded it. And it does seem to want to take over everything. If I plug in an external drive, LR automatically launches and wants to take over. It
...Show more
LR automatically launches and wants to take over. It seems to want to move any photos I open to different folders. And I find it much less intuitive to my very limited LR editing knowledge.

"LR automatically launches and wants to take over. It seems to want to move any photos I open to different folders. "
That was what I hated.

Jan 31, 2013 at 03:25 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · hey nX2 users

On large batches, I use Photo Mechanic 5. LR doesn't take over unless you want it to; also, you decide which folders, file name, Metadata, and copying files to a second folder--to name a few things. There is a reason it is so popular with photographers, amateur or pro.

Jan 31, 2013 at 07:01 AM
ReyGay
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · hey nX2 users

I still use NX2 for my D7000 files but when it comes to my D3X, Phase One just looks way better on it, without any adjustments, for my taste. The tools on NX2 is powerful enough and it's the same with Phase One with the exception that the batch processing is quicker with the latter solution and still offers great IQ. It's just Phase One is pricey and requires fast hard drives especially working on layers with adjustments...

My Flickr Gallery
My interesting photos on Flickriver
my Deviantart gallery

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:22 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · hey nX2 users

What sdo you use for D800E?

Jan 31, 2013 at 03:18 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · hey nX2 users

The D800e file size slows down any workflow, but those files are special. I went from a D3s, to a D800e, to a D4 and noticed a distinctive slow down in my workflow when processing D800e files. I used Phase One Capture One Pro for years, but gave up on it during version 4, which was too unstable. You might give the current version a try, it is faster than Nikon's NX2 or LR, but still not stable on my Mac Pro and has a higher learning curve.

Jan 31, 2013 at 04:44 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · hey nX2 users

James R wrote:
The D800e file size slows down any workflow, but those files are special. I went from a D3s, to a D800e, to a D4 and noticed a distinctive slow down in my workflow when processing D800e files. I used Phase One Capture One Pro for years, but gave up on it during version 4, which was too unstable. You might give the current version a try, it is faster than Nikon's NX2 or LR, but still not stable on my Mac Pro and has a higher learning curve.

luckly i don't do commercial. My computer has 8 gigs of RAM and I do see it is slow. Planning to get at least 16 gigs of RAM and may be more.

Feb 04, 2013 at 04:51 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · hey nX2 users

James R wrote:

luckly i don't do commercial. My computer has 8 gigs of RAM and I do see it is slow. Planning to get at least 16 gigs of RAM and may be more.

Feb 04, 2013 at 04:52 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · hey nX2 users

I've got 16 gigs and it doesn't help.

Feb 04, 2013 at 06:18 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · hey nX2 users

James R wrote: