Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Local JV Team

Hybrid AWD
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Local JV Team

I met up with another local photographer to shoot his sons JV basketball game (something I've never shot before). I have been on the fence about a 1D MKIV so after shooting with my 5D MkII (which the below pictures were taken with) he let me shoot with his 1D. Worlds different (in a good way).

Here are some shots from my 5D MKII.

1) F/2.8 @ 1/250 ISO 3200 @ 120mm (70-200 IS II)

2) F/2.0 @ 1/250 ISO 800 @ 50mm (50mm 1.4)

3) F/4.0 @ 1/250 ISO 1250 @ 50mm (50mm 1.4)

I definitely want to upgrade to the 1D MKIV after shooting with it. It's definitely a stronger camera for sports and the faster fps shooting rate was awesome. Hopefully it won't be too much of a learning curve.

Jan 30, 2013 at 08:04 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Local JV Team

Yes, a 1 series for sports is nice to have, a couple suggestions, crop closer, use at least 1/500 shutter speed-faster if possible. For the far basket focus on the defense or on side shots-people typically don't want shots that don't show face/expression.

Jan 30, 2013 at 08:28 AM
Hybrid AWD
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Local JV Team

Thanks John.

Yeah shooting with the 1D definitely showed my how much more important it is to be able to shoot much faster. Next time I head out to a game, I'm going to shoot for a faster shutter for sure.

As for the far shot, you're definitely right, no faces = no care lol.

Question on cropping: Would you say Image 2 is better cropped than 3? The reason I ask is because I was asking myself "Should I include or exclude the rim if possible".

Jan 30, 2013 at 09:35 AM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Local JV Team

Here's my take on you cropping question....the only reason to leave the net or the rim is to give some perspective of where the player is -- RELATIVE TO THE BASKET. Meaning, if the bottom of the net is showing, you can tell how high off the floor s/he is. It their hand is a foot over the rim, same thing. The corner of the backboard and bottom of the net provide that reference point in photo 2.

As for number three, I would crop it even tighter. Here's why. If I had to guess, this photo was taken during warm-ups, right? Couple of dead giveaways. 1) "Offensive rebounder" looks like a backup player still wearing warm-ups & 2) fans are completely disinterested in what should be an exciting moment. So with that being said, get rid of those distractions by cropping them out of the photo. Keep in mind, the amount that you can crop is based on the resolution of the image you start with -- and the sharpness of that image based on equuipment, technique, lights, etc. But with that being said, number 3 could be a very nice photo by tightening it up by losing the player on the left and the dead space at the bottom.

Jan 30, 2013 at 07:37 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Local JV Team

Frames per second is nice, but not necessary-the 5d2 is very capable at shooting sports if that's what you have. Work on your timing and understanding where the action is going to be instead of playing catchup to where it is. Plenty of togs shoot strobed and only get one shot to get it right. As far as cropping, it's more of a personal thing, but I would have cropped/framed both 2 and 3 as waiste up shots unlesss you want to show their feet for some odd reason. All the emotion/action is in the upper body and face so focus on that. And as RD pointed out on the basket, only include enough to give you perspective of how close the player is to it. I typically shoot a bit loose in the game and then crop tighter when people order.

Jan 30, 2013 at 08:14 PM
Geoffrey Bolte
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Local JV Team

Images look good, but why the change in ISO and aperture?? I would have preset to a set ISO to 3200 and had my aperture set to around 2.0 or so with the 1.4. As well shot at a minimum of 1/500th of a second.

Granted your shots look pretty sharp at this size but what about larger?

Nice work for first time out, but try manual settings with a set ISO next time!

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:44 AM
Hybrid AWD
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Local JV Team

Thanks for the input.

I was shooting with a 5D MKII, 50mm 1.4 and then my 70-200 IS II. All shots were in manual mode.

As far as the ISO and shutter jumping around - like mentioned before, it was during warm-ups. I was really just playing with the settings to get an idea of what I needed to shoot with. Not really knowing what to expect (lighting wise) in the gym, I was doing some adjusting.

Higher ISO is definitely key. When I shoot again, I'll already know round about where I want to be.

Jan 31, 2013 at 07:59 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.