Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Yet another request for analysis from your personal baseline...

cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yet another request for analysis from your personal baseline...

These posts are more of a psychology experiment than request for critique. The premise is that every photo tells a story and if it works it should stand on it's own without setting it up in advance with a subject line like "Texture", "Cold", etc. providing the context.

So while I appreciate the generalized comments I really need you to answer the specific questions as asked to be able to quantify whether your reaction is based on personal familiarity with the subject matter and if you reacting to it as just another photo to look at or on some emotional level. I'd also like to know whether your eye path in the photo was the one I hoped for.

Yeah very analytical, but that's the way my brain got wired and those are the questions I ask when I look at your photos and comment. I think the answers to structured questions like that create a framework for understanding how to tell a story in a photo more effectively in a way that the widest possible audience will relate to.

I'll give you my answers to the same questions later as to why I took the shots.

http://super.nova.org/XP/ZZ_MiscPix/1973_BLKPwr.jpg
What do you think the story is here?
Why did you find it interesting? "I didn't find it interesting" is a valid answer but explain why.
What senses other than visual did it trigger? sound, touch, taste
What personal memories caused you to react that way?
Do you think everyone will react the same way?
What did you notice first?
Where did your eye go next?
What did you dwell longest on?
What was the last thing you saw before exiting?

Edited on Jan 29, 2013 at 10:29 PM · View previous versions

Jan 29, 2013 at 08:19 PM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yet another request for analysis from your personal baseline...

Noticed the high contrast whites. Then I got the narrative. Again, maybe this is just what I know of social concerns filling-in-the-blanks.

The high contrast highlights two tones: black and white. I'm an American, I know how tense African-American and white America's relationship has been. The clothing in the photo depict late 60's, early 70's, the pose is bold, and expression, fierce. So, my brain draws on that historical social climate and I form a narrative. So, I'm putting my own interpretation on the photographer's choice to photograph and process this film to illustrate the stark contrast, which also supports the stoic pose, and fierce expression.

A European might interpret this differently. I could be way-off. But, that's the narrative that comes to mind.

Again, subjectivity...

Jan 29, 2013 at 08:23 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yet another request for analysis from your personal baseline...

I see an overly dramatic presentation in tonal values that harmonize with the dramatic posture and dramatic expression.

That much drama with a blank/dark/bg to me conveys theater or stage production.

Eye movement is shirt, face, hat, fist, shirt, face, hat, other hand, shirt, face, hat, shirt, face.

NOTE: My brevity here is predicated upon the fact that I already know that Chuck as the OP already understands psychological eye movement in images, thus nothing for me to really offer of additional value in the way of explanation for a fellow FM'er versed such as Chuck. (Same for other images in series). Only my subjective interpretation of the narrative remains as new information for Chuck.

As a psychology experiment ... one might quickly realize that most people don't want to be construed as test subjects.

It is a special thing to have a place such as this where so many of us genuinely aspire to help others through our perspective, training and experience and to receive reciprocally in kind ... but I think that this isn't the venue for "psychological experiments". It sends a message of inferred superiority over lab rat test subjects, moreover than a collective assembly of like minded individuals with varying perspective, training & experience offered up freely for others to use at their discretion.

I can only speak for myself, but experiments, tests, questions & answers sound way too much like school vs. a very special forum of assistive sharing. I enjoy going into detail with those who are eager to solicit varying perspective, but I'll pass on additional "psychological experiments". I don't see any real contributory value to expending voluminous effort in Q&A to validate what I already know that you already know ... if that makes any sense. I hope you understand the basis for my marginal responses.

Jan 29, 2013 at 08:50 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yet another request for analysis from your personal baseline...

Powerful, strongly engaging, emotive image.
Shirt, face, top fist, bottom fist, facial expressions.
Story? Angry protest; strong proclamation of values, goals. Alternative, dramatic singing, assertive yearning.
Trigger sound: loud, strong tones.
Last? Not sure. Frame also grabs attention.
This is a super image ito me. Cropped well, presented well, and so evocative.

Scott

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:00 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Yet another request for analysis from your personal baseline...

I took this shot at Knox College in 1972. It was part of a series of comedy sketches by the student actors and more or less a happy accident in having the camera focused on him when he unexpected did the "black power" salute.

Message-wise it's probably one somebody who experienced the 1968 Olympics where some US athletes did it on the medal platform will relate to better than Gen X, Y or Z.

I went there mainly to try out some super high ISO survailance film (High Speed Recording) I'd found at the local photo shop. I entered in a PPofA competition at a state convention the following year judged by Jay Meisel in the "creative" category. I matted it as shown here with the title "Stand Up".

It was the only B&W in the competition and was the last one judged. The panel discussed it among themselves and it wound up getting 3rd place in the category. Then in a huge surprise it also won the prize for best of show across all categories. Talking to the panel afterwards I learned all the discussion was about retouching on the print which was visible in the bright evaluation lighting. That's why it got knocked down to 3rd. But they felt the message it delivered was timely and powerful (it was in the middle of the black power movement).

I also won first place in the creative category with "posed" color shot of a Clematis on a fence in Zucker's front yard shot for the competition. It was posed in the sense that I rearranged the vine with a staple gun. I didn't notice until after the competition one of the staples was visible in the shot. Fortunately either did the judges.

I retired from professional photography shortly afterwards. Better to know when to fold them than spending years and $$$ chasing a dead-end dream.

Jan 30, 2013 at 02:00 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Yet another request for analysis from your personal baseline...

Hard to be certain - either an actor or protestor. Could be in costume or clothes of the time.

Why did you find it interesting? "I didn't find it interesting" is a valid answer but explain why.
Any display of passion or emotion will always be interesting in some regard.

N/A

N/A

I didn't have a reaction, but this definitely would have a different reaction from people based upon generation, ethnicity and personal beliefs. That's geared more towards your subject being a protestor (civil rights?) than if he's an actor.

Subject's face. That's where I think the most contrast is located.

Followed his arm to the fist.

The face.

The subject's raised fist. Immediately made me think Black Panther fist.

Jan 30, 2013 at 03:22 PM
JHut
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Yet another request for analysis from your personal baseline...

Black Power

Somewhat interesting. The race conflict notion can bring up emotions for some. Of the images that you posted for this "exercise", this one would leave the longest lasting imprint in my memory

No other sense other than visual and memories from black power rallies.

I am a bit older and I remember the raised fists at the Olympic games and various rallies. The black and white image works well with the black power implied message of this image.

Of course not. Everyone has unique experiences and reactions will be "across the board".

Face

Raised fist

Face

?? Send Reply

Fun exercise Chuck! From my perspective, not all images need to tell a story or strive to evoke emotions. Regardless of what is photographed, an image that evokes a strong emotion tends to be more memorable to the viewer. My goal when I photograph is not to evoke an emotion, define a theme, or please the masses. It is simply for the artistic beauty of an image or to capture and enjoy a moment in time.

Jan 30, 2013 at 03:27 PM
The Box

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Yet another request for analysis from your personal baseline...

Hope no one minds a stranger jumping in here. I read a lot but hardly ever post.

What do you think the story is here? It looks to me as a Black Power member at a rally/protest in the late 60's early 70's

Why did you find it interesting? I remember some of the news stories from that era. I lived in Quebec at the time so did not experience any of it first hand but it was news worthy.

What senses other than visual did it trigger? Just visual recollection of the salute.

What personal memories caused you to react that way? I also remember the Olympics as well and I lived in Quebec at the time and for some reason this and the FLQ uprising seem to trigger each other

Do you think everyone will react the same way? No. Not sure if everyone would recognize the salute as a black power salute and I doubt anyone else would make a black power FLQ connection. I have to figure that one out myself.

What did you notice first? Face first

Where did your eye go next? to the fist

What did you dwell longest on? I'd say the raised fist

What was the last thing you saw before exiting? His left hand

Jan 30, 2013 at 03:55 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.