New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

abraxsis

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

I recently ordered a 1Ds Mk II from eBay, but it is beginning to look like it might have gotten lost in the mail ... or a scam. The tracking number and insurance numbers the seller gave me are invalid. Not to mention that he was supposed to send it via UPS and decided to send it via USPS Parcel Post instead. Nevertheless, I got it for a decent price if it actually shows up, if not I'm covered.

While I work on getting it sorted out I began to read more on the 7D. I have a 5D and a 5D MkII now, but was considering selling the Mk II (AF is just horrible IMO) once I got the 1Ds Mk II. In everyone's opinion, which would be the best choice? Keep the 1Ds Mk II or just return it to the guy and get a 7D instead? I know the Ds is older but it is FF after all.

I mainly shoot available light portraits, on location shots w/ a full strobe setup, landscapes, nature, and urban decay. I am also "on call" for shoots with a Suicide Girl and I also do boudoir setups.

Jan 29, 2013 at 06:08 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

I cannot comment intelligently on the cameras, but USPS Parcel Post can be quite slow, so be patient. How long since it was supposed to be sent?
Steve

Jan 29, 2013 at 06:18 PM
abraxsis

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

Sjjindra wrote:
I cannot comment intelligently on the cameras, but USPS Parcel Post can be quite slow, so be patient. How long since it was supposed to be sent?
Steve

He claims to have shipped it out last Tuesday, so a week now. Seller is only 2 states away and the post office said 2-5 days max since it is in the same zone. The part that worries me is that none of the number he has sent me are valid. I even had the local Postmaster look for me. According to his database neither of the numbers (Delivery Confirmation and Insurance) have been issued or are valid. So either the package just vanished into the ether or the Seller is scamming me. He has a really high rating though, 2500+ w/ 99.6% positive feedback.

Jan 29, 2013 at 06:23 PM
macentropist
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

I would sell it all, get a 5D mkIII, and a cheap T4i, this makes for one killer combo. Though the 7D is pretty awesome if you can swing it as well as the mkIII.

Hell, even just a 5D mkIII all by itself would float your world. I dont hardly touch anything else. It is that good!

Edited on Jan 29, 2013 at 06:46 PM · View previous versions

Jan 29, 2013 at 06:44 PM
Mr645
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

I have both, and the 7D is better for tethering, faster frame rate and faster buffer clearing. But the 1DsII delivers far better IQ, better focus, lower noise at higher ISO, simply a better camera IMHO.

My main bag has a pair of 1DsII bodies and 1 1DII, which I would still take all day long over the 7D. The 7D is used for second shooters, party favors, along with a 60D and various Rebels.

Jan 29, 2013 at 06:45 PM
abraxsis

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

macentropist wrote:
I would sell it all, get a 5D mkIII, and a cheap T4i, this makes for one killer combo. Though the 7D is pretty awesome if you can swing it as well as the mkIII.

Hell, even just a 5D mkIII all by itself would float your world. I dont hardly touch anything else. It is that good!

Does the Mk III have the "magical colors" that the 5Dc has and is known for? This camera was actually a gift to me along with a 16-35L 2.8 II. It was the camera that switched me to Nikon. I love it for portraits.

Jan 29, 2013 at 07:42 PM
abraxsis

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

Mr645 wrote:
I have both, and the 7D is better for tethering, faster frame rate and faster buffer clearing. But the 1DsII delivers far better IQ, better focus, lower noise at higher ISO, simply a better camera IMHO.

My main bag has a pair of 1DsII bodies and 1 1DII, which I would still take all day long over the 7D. The 7D is used for second shooters, party favors, along with a 60D and various Rebels.

Excellent, this is the kind of advice I needed to hear. Everything Ive read said the Ds Mk II had great IQ and even some people still say it is one of the best cameras Canon has ever produced.

Jan 29, 2013 at 08:05 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

I prefer the IQ of the 5D2 to the 1Ds2.

Otherwise, get the 5D3 or 6D.

What has the seller said when you asked for confirmation of the Delivery Confirmation number?

Jan 29, 2013 at 09:03 PM
abraxsis

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

Gunzorro wrote:
I prefer the IQ of the 5D2 to the 1Ds2.

Otherwise, get the 5D3 or 6D.

What has the seller said when you asked for confirmation of the Delivery Confirmation number?

He has sent scans of the Confirmation tag, the Insurance tag, and a receipt from the postal service. All with proper stamps, so he is legit. But apparently the postal service has screwed up big time somewhere, so I don't know what they outcome will be.

6D is too small IMO, Im 6'2" with huge hands. The 5D is actually a little small w/o a grip on it, which is one of the reason I was shooting for a 1Ds. 5D3 is a little out of my price range currently, but it is a nice camera.

Jan 29, 2013 at 09:22 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

Funny thing, I had a problem with a 1Ds2 that I had to send back to the seller -- USPS bounced it around with wrong addresses for almost three weeks! I was freaking out, since I hadn't fully insured it, I would have been out $1600. It eventually got delivered -- very odd. That was out of hundreds of transactions I've shipped from eBay and other deals. So it's an anomaly -- doesn't help when you are in the middle of it though!

I have large hands too, but can use a 60D with grip, although I prefer 1D-series myself.

I would look at the 5D2 with grip then. Great deals these days, and modern technology.

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:46 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

abraxsis wrote:
Excellent, this is the kind of advice I needed to hear. Everything Ive read said the Ds Mk II had great IQ and even some people still say it is one of the best cameras Canon has ever produced.

You are on the right track just hoping Ds2 deliverred

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:55 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

1DsMkII is certainly a great camera (IQ and AF) with a few note-worthy limitations which might, or might not matter to you, such as:

(1) The LCD display is nearly useless.
(2) The frame rate is plain slow with sadly shallow buffer.
(3) ISO noise becomes a problem above 800, particularly if you crop enlarge a fair bit, and/or if you need to lift exposure in pp.

7D has much nicer display, faster frame rate/deeper buffer, better layout of controls and menus, much lighter to carry, longer battery life, higher detail capture capability, and somewhat cleaner files at high ISO.

For your application type perhaps 1DsMkII would be a better camera.

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:13 PM
abraxsis

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

PetKal wrote:
(3) ISO noise becomes a problem above 800, particularly if you crop enlarge a fair bit, and/or if you need to lift exposure in pp.

For your application type perhaps 1DsMkII would be a better camera.

How would the 1Ds MkII's files at 800-1600 compare to the 5Dc? I used the 5Dc inside the Hoover Dam and I was kind of surprised at how well the ISO 1600 files turned out, especially once you run them through LR4 with just a touch of NR.

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:16 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

abraxsis wrote:
How would the 1Ds MkII's files at 800-1600 compare to the 5Dc? I used the 5Dc inside the Hoover Dam and I was kind of surprised at how well the ISO 1600 files turned out, especially once you run them through LR4 with just a touch of NR.

I do not know, never owned 5D. I am sure Michael Tran can tell you exactly.

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:45 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

I like the 1Ds2 better than the original 5D at ISO 1600.

I like the 5D2 better than the 1Ds2 at the same ISO.

I like the 60D about the same as the 5D2 at that same ISO, which is about the same as you'll get from a 7D.

For the cameras I've owned, IQ at low ISO it's: 5D2/1Ds3 > 1Ds2 > 60D/T2i > 1D3 > 5D > 1Ds > 1D2 > 20D

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Giules

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

I'll chime in because these are the 2 bodies i shoot with now. I'm biased, but after having the 7D for over 1.5 years I don't like the RAW files much, and even less with time.

My 1DS2 seemingly gives me amazing DR. I'm constantly impressed at what a beast this camera is and what it can do for the technology being that much older. For the kind of work you mainly shoot i'd highly recommend the 1DS2 over the 7D.

I am in fact holding out to sell the 7D and buy a 5D3, but I will never sell my 1DS2. It will go with me to the grave .

Jan 30, 2013 at 06:11 AM
leftymgp
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

I'll just say that I have had stuff shipped to me by USPS w/ a tracking number that never worked, but I still got the thing.

Jan 31, 2013 at 07:47 AM
abraxsis

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

leftymgp wrote:
I'll just say that I have had stuff shipped to me by USPS w/ a tracking number that never worked, but I still got the thing.

Yeah, Im pretty sure it should arrive today. I just feel if you are going to ship anything that is more than a couple hundred bucks you should pop for the Priority since there is usually only a few dollar difference anymore. Plus, Parcel Post generally has a higher "gone missing" rate since they just put on whatever boat/plane/truck that is the absolute cheapest. I shipped a Nikon 80-200 2.8 recently to CA from KY. The difference between Priority and Parcel post was only $2.30. Priority took 3 days and Parcel post said anywhere from 10-14 days.

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:15 AM
3catsinky
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

1Ds2. I'd still have mine if I didnt have the need for video. Id shoot it over my 5d3 most likely.

Jan 31, 2013 at 02:00 PM
abraxsis

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

Well it finally arrived today and I've been running it through its paces. So far Im pretty impressed with the performance of such an old camera. There is a certain quality to the images that I like. They're sharp and clean, but they seem to have more of a film quality to them than digital. Doubly so with the RAW colors and the oh-so-slight grain, even at ISO 100. AF is pretty darn snappy, even on the slower focusing 40mm 2.8 STM. Focus is spot on too.

Overall, camera isn't too heavy, but I workout and lift weights pretty regularly (I've lost 180lbs so far) so a 5-8lb camera isn't much in my hands. Of course, we'll talk more after a day of lugging it with the 70-200 on it. For the price I paid, I think I got a pretty decent deal. 1200.00 USD for the camera (35k actuations in 9+ shape), 3x Canon brand batteries (1x BNIP), hand strap, dual battery charger, AC power adapter, 6' Firewire cable, 6' USB cable, Sandisk 4GB Extreme III CF card, all the original paperwork/CDs, original box, Magic Lantern guide, and all the caps/covers/etc. Plus free shipping.

Jan 31, 2013 at 03:02 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.