Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · looking for MF prime ~17-24 mm, cheap, sharp, slow

Kisutch
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · looking for MF prime ~17-24 mm, cheap, sharp, slow

I'm looking for a lens to put on a remote camera (Canon t2i) that will be used almost exclusively at f/8. I want a prime in the 17-24 mm range. I already have Canon ef-s 17-55 and 10-22 for other remote cameras, but I'm looking for a cheaper option here. I don't need AF or fast apertures.

Are there any alt options for <$300 that would have comparable IQ to the above-mentioned lenses. I realize the newer kit Canon lenses are pretty sharp, but the MF rings are so bad that it's actually a deal breaker for this application.

Thanks for any insight.

Jan 29, 2013 at 08:08 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · looking for MF prime ~17-24 mm, cheap, sharp, slow

On the longer end of your range, the Olympus OM 24/2.8 is a superb lens for uniformity of high resolution and fine detail across the frame. It's also very small/light, so you'll end up taking it everywhere.

Jan 29, 2013 at 08:11 PM
Kisutch
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · looking for MF prime ~17-24 mm, cheap, sharp, slow

Thanks a bunch, that looks perfect. I like the small size too, will be easier to build a housing for.

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Johnny B Goode
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · looking for MF prime ~17-24 mm, cheap, sharp, slow

I've read good things about the Zuiko 21mm 3.5.

Jan 31, 2013 at 01:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · looking for MF prime ~17-24 mm, cheap, sharp, slow

The Zuiko 21/3.5 is, indeed, also quite good. It might cost slightly over a $300 budget (but not by much).

At least in my experience, the 21/3.5 has somewhat more lateral CA (red/cyan fringes on high-contrast edges increasing towards the corners) than the 24/2.8, and the 24/2.8 has more uniform resolution out to the corners. OTOH, the 21/3.5 has less coma (fainter "wings" of light extending from bright points nearer the corners) than the 24/2.8, giving images higher larger-scale contrast (though with less fine detail) than the 24/2.8. Thus, for images that will mostly be scaled down to "web resolution" viewing sizes, I suspect the 21/3.5 will give slightly "punchier" results straight out of camera, while the 24/2.8 would need a touch more processing but provide the kind of fine detail that holds up well in medium/large prints.

EDIT: If the lens is going to be used on a crop sensor camera, the above comparison is less relevant (the 21/3.5 and 24/2.8 will be more similar across the smaller sensor).

Jan 31, 2013 at 01:34 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · looking for MF prime ~17-24 mm, cheap, sharp, slow

In addition to the Oly's the Nikon 20/4 AI was a fav of Galen Rowell, iirc. I have the 18/3.5, 21/3.5, 24/2.8 & 28/3.5 Oly's with the $$$ inverse to the FL. I also have the Nikon 20/2.8 AIS.
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/ultrawides/20mm.htm

The Oly's tend to be evenly sharp across the entire range of the image, whereas the Nikon's tend to be more centrally sharp than the Oly's, but fall off some into the corners. However, on a crop the softer corners of the Nikon wont' be that much of an issue. One other thing regarding the Oly vs. Nikon is the contrast. The Nikon is typically higher (sometimes too high) than the Oly, so that might be something to consider as well depending on your application/subject.

For something wider, the Tamron 17 is typically well regarded and some like the Tokina 17 in the "bang for the buck" category.

Edit ... WOW, the prices for the Nikon 20mm's have changed quite a bit, no longer in the sub $300 on KEH or Ebay (from current availability). Although, I think you could still find a 20/4 AI for $300 elsewhere.

Edited on Jan 31, 2013 at 02:10 PM · View previous versions

Jan 31, 2013 at 03:31 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · looking for MF prime ~17-24 mm, cheap, sharp, slow

I can easily recommend the OM 21/3.5 & 24/2.8
My current favorite shot from the 21 on my NEX-7

Jan 31, 2013 at 04:37 AM
Peire
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · looking for MF prime ~17-24 mm, cheap, sharp, slow

24mm low/moderetely priced lenses for the NEX7

Minolta Rokkor 24/2.8 - the best for colours,softens up towards corners
Zuiko 24/2.8 - the best for sharpness,small and compact
Canon FD 24/2.8 FD or SSC - very good a bit too much LCA
Nikon 24/2.8 AI/s of AF/D - very good but too soft in corners+too much LCA
Sigma super wide II 24/2.8 very good,macro facility,a bit too much LCA
Yashica 24/2.8 - soft in corners for closeups,pretty sharp at infinity but corners visibly lag behind center sharpness,nice colours
RMC II Tokina 24/2.8- good sharpness stopped to f8 with average,muted colours

Zuiko and Rokkor are my favs.Sigma is great if you like close ups.

20mm or so lenses:

21/3.5 Zuiko - very good,pretty uniform sharpness across the frame atf8
20/2.8 Rokkor - nice coloure but soft in the corners
20/2.8 Nikon AI/S,AF/D - nice colours,soft in the corners,too much LCA
Tokina 17/3.5 - soft wo but pretty sharp at f8,difficult to find one without decentering - my 3 copies were more or less decentered
Cosina MF 20/3.8 (look for all metal version with 62mm filter thread) - acceptable sharpness across the frame stopped to f8,average colours
Sigma 18/3.5 AF/MF - average sharpness and colours

Zuiko is my fav followed by Minolta.

Jan 31, 2013 at 08:46 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password