Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Attaching microscope objectives to FF camera?

jscalev

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Attaching microscope objectives to FF camera?

For some time I have been looking to improve on the 5x magnification of the MP-E 65. I have looked into this in the past and picked up equipment, but haven't spent too much time on it so far. I would like to spend more time on this in the future, but my current rig is a bit unpractical.

The following is what I am using.
Camera - Canon 5D Mark III
Objectives - Nikon 10x .25 10.5 WD, Mitutoyo 20x
Lens - Canon 100/2.8 macro IS with a 2x extender with 68mm of extension tubes
Other lenses I have tried are the 70-200/2.8 II and the 300/4 - but this combo works the best to ensure I do not have vignetting.
Lighting - I currently use an MT-24EX mounted on two Wimberley macro rails
Other - Cognisys Stackshot, Zerene Stacker
Mounting - I have all of the necessary step down adapters to fit these objectives on my lenses

My biggest issues right now are holding the specimen and the camera still. I plan to address that in the future but right now my concern is the whole thing is quite long and difficult to use. Also, I lose a bit with the 2x extender.

I am considering picking up the 200/2.8 II as I heard it will allow me to get rid of the 2x extender and extension tubes in the setup. My question is - is anyone else doing this and can verify that the 200/2.8 II will not cause vignetting without extension tubes?

I certainly have a number of other issues to solve - particularly subject handling - but I have some possible solutions there that just require some time and budget.

For example, here is a shot I took of the carpet just playing around at 10x.

Carpet at 10x by CalevPhoto, on Flickr

Jan 29, 2013 at 06:27 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Attaching microscope objectives to FF camera?

Not sure I can really help you but I do sometimes use an old 10X objective but just on the end of about 80mm of extension tubes.
see below. Many people doing this sort of photography end up constructing a rail on which both a camera and specimen can be fixed and often either can be moved
You will probably get more ideas and answers here
http://photomacrography.net/forum/

Brian v.

Jan 30, 2013 at 07:32 AM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password