New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · New Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM APS-C standard lens

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM APS-C standard lens

New Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM APS-C standard lens
Sigma pioneered the large-aperture APS-C format standard lens category with its 30mm F1.4 lens. They now introduced a the fully updated "Art" SIGMA 30mm F1.4 DC HSM, which offers an angle of view equivalent to 45mm on a 35mm camera. Available in Sigma, Canon and Nikon mounts
  • Lens Construction: 9 elements in 8 groups
  • Filter size: 62mm
  • Angle of view (SD1): 50.7°
  • Minimum focusing distance: 11.8in
  • Dimensions (Diameter x Length): 2.9in x 2.5in
  • Number of diaphragm blades 9 (Rounded diaphragm)
  • Maximum magnification ratio: 1:6.8
  • Weight: 435g / 15.3oz
Check out Sigma's website for more details.

MFT Graph

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:28 PM
Jon Nguy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM APS-C standard lens

I would be interested to see how this would perform on a FX camera..

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:54 PM
keithdunlop
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM APS-C standard lens

I was hoping the next "art" lens would be the 85mm. So far I'm loving the new 35mm f/1.4.

Jan 29, 2013 at 01:36 PM
matejphoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM APS-C standard lens

I was hoping for a cheapo Canon EF-s 30mm f/1.8 like Nikon has. But if the optics are good I would drop $500 on this.

Any guesses on price?
I guess $500.

Any more would be difficult because the canon 35mm f/2 IS will be around $650 soon.

Jan 29, 2013 at 01:59 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM APS-C standard lens

nice update by Sigma

quality APS-C lens option

Edited on Jan 29, 2013 at 06:02 PM · View previous versions

Jan 29, 2013 at 02:32 PM
arthurb
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM APS-C standard lens

What's the point of such a high quality lens if you can't use it on a full frame camera?

Jan 29, 2013 at 04:03 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM APS-C standard lens

It's an update to their existing 30. I'm interested in a comparison when they are available.

Jan 29, 2013 at 04:36 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM APS-C standard lens

arthurb wrote:
What's the point of such a high quality lens if you can't use it on a full frame camera?

Sigma has a 35mm 1.4 lens for FF cameras. However this 30mm 1.4 lens has been designed for the smaller image circle of APS-C cameras and as a result it is lighter, smaller and most likely cheaper. If I am an APS-C user then why would I want to pay extra money for the bigger chunk of glass that is not needed on my camera. Also for me 30mm is a better focal length for APS-C cameras than 35mm.

Jan 29, 2013 at 04:46 PM
matejphoto
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM APS-C standard lens

arthurb wrote:

I have 5Dm2 with array of L zooms and 50mm 1.4.
But for family pictures lugging the full frame setup is not fun. So lately I have been shooting most of my family pictures (outside of the house) with my T3i (600D). The cheap plasticky zooms are great (for what they are) but it would be nice to have a large aperture prime.

Generally, full frame is really pricey, there are a lot of people who can afford one nice lens. This could be it for a lot of rebel owners.

Jan 29, 2013 at 05:08 PM
mrgetalife
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM APS-C standard lens

curious80 wrote:
Sigma has a 35mm 1.4 lens for FF cameras. However this 30mm 1.4 lens has been designed for the smaller image circle of APS-C cameras and as a result it is lighter, smaller and most likely cheaper. If I am an APS-C user then why would I want to pay extra money for the bigger chunk of glass that is not needed on my camera. Also for me 30mm is a better focal length for APS-C cameras than 35mm.

Not really in regards to the retail price. When the first one came out I paid a fairly good chunk of change to get it. Only recently because they were dumping them all did they fall in price. It might be smaller and cheaper to make than a Full frame lens. But that doesn't mean they'll charge you less.

I don't see why they wasted their time doing this one. Unless it was to get practice integrating the USB feature they're trying to push.

Jan 29, 2013 at 05:35 PM
GammyKnee
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM APS-C standard lens

This surprised me a little, 'cos the original 30mm is pretty good if you don't mind the distortion (I'm fine with it)

Given that I'm currently swithering over which 50mm to buy (Canon 1.4 vs Siggie 50 1.4) I'd have preferred to have seen a revised 50mm with more consistent AF!!

Jan 29, 2013 at 05:49 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM APS-C standard lens

I'm sure they'll be redoing both 50 & 85mm lenses to thew new Art line of lenses.

Jan 29, 2013 at 06:35 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM APS-C standard lens

mrgetalife wrote:
Not really in regards to the retail price. When the first one came out I paid a fairly good chunk of change to get it. Only recently because they were dumping them all did they fall in price. It might be smaller and cheaper to make than a Full frame lens. But that doesn't mean they'll charge you less.

I don't see why they wasted their time doing this one. Unless it was to get practice integrating the USB feature they're trying to push.

The first one was released at around $450 (and the only alternative was the canon 35mm 1.4L at around $1200-1300). The Sigma 35mm 1.4 has been released at $900. So version one was significantly cheaper than the FF versions. Lets see what they charge for this new one.

Unfortunately making an APS-C 30mm 1.4 is not as cheap as it should be, because the APS-C DSLRs have inherited the register distance of their FF brothers which is too long for this format. As a result lenses like 30mm 1.4 which should be "normal" lenses on APS-C still need to be designed in a manner similar to FF wide-angle lenses. So the costs savings are not as much. Still the size and cost savings are there and for an APS-C camera I would certainly pick the 30mm 1.4 over the 35mm 1.4.

I personally think it is great that they have updated this lens. The first one while nice was fairly weak in corners and had a lousy minimum focus distance (yes I have owned and used one). This new one fixes the MFD and if it has improved corners then it can be a great hit for APS-C users because even after all these years Canon has no normal prime for APS-C.

Jan 29, 2013 at 09:34 PM
Steady_Hands

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM APS-C standard lens

Sigma's new line has really made an impression. I tried the current 30m 1.4 and the motor was jarring in live mode. I am tempted try again with the new line.

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Crossczechfoto
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM APS-C standard lens

If Sigma is planning on completely upgrading their level of quality on their lens lines and they perform just as well as the new 35mm f/1.4 is performing, don't be too surprised if the "big boys" take note of this and their pricing starts dropping for their glass.

Granted Sigma has a long ways to go as a 3rd party lens maker. But if anything is an indication to what their new "devotion" is to producing good quality glass we are all going to benefit from it!

Ross

Jan 31, 2013 at 01:13 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM APS-C standard lens

Ross,

we can only hope that is the case. I own the Sigma 35mm F1.4 and it is fantastic.
I also get very good results with my Sigma 50mm F1.4 & Sigma 85mm F1.4

I agree. If Sigma produces lenses of this quality I will continue to by Sigma.

Jan 31, 2013 at 01:49 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM APS-C standard lens

If I was going to stick with ASP-C, I would definitely consider getting this lens. I personally enjoyed the current Sig 30. Like many others, I'm curioius to see the 50 and 85 come out.

Jan 31, 2013 at 02:41 PM
spada
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM APS-C standard lens

Crossczechfoto wrote:
If Sigma is planning on completely upgrading their level of quality on their lens lines and they perform just as well as the new 35mm f/1.4 is performing, don't be too surprised if the "big boys" take note of this and their pricing starts dropping for their glass.

Granted Sigma has a long ways to go as a 3rd party lens maker. But if anything is an indication to what their new "devotion" is to producing good quality glass we are all going to benefit from it!

Ross

Do you really think Sigma has a long ways to go as a 3rd party lens maker
Let's do a quick rundown. They have the highest resolution 35/1.4 possibly ever made, which also has the best bokeh, and the lowest price. The have an OUTSTANDING 50mm f/1.4, with good sharpness from wide open, and super creamy bokeh, and great build quality, and a decent price. The 85mm f/1.4 is also a very good lens, and can be used wide open. Suffers from the usual downfalls of a large aperture 85mm, but it also has the lowest price.
Now look at all of the great zooms, and macros that they offer. Internally focusing 105mm macro, that's awesome, and even look at their older lenses, like the 70mm macro, which can easily outresolve a lot of modern day sensors, with minimal CA, and creamy bokeh.
I don't think they have a long way to go at all. The only thing that has a long way to go, is the prices of Canon, Nikon, and Sony lenses. And they need to go DOWN.

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:35 PM

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM APS-C standard lens

Well said!
They also have some unique lenses - some of which ironically date back to the times before their upsurge in quality (like the 120-300/2.8, the 12-24 - still unbeaten as the widest rectilinear full-frame SLR lens - and the 150/2.8 macro). These alone make the brand look worthwhile.

Feb 08, 2013 at 04:02 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.