Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Colorshift from LR4 to PS CS6: please help!!

michaelbennati
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Colorshift from LR4 to PS CS6: please help!!

I've noticed a strange and very frustrating phenomenon that I hope someone can help me with:

I've set LR preferences/external editing to Prophoto RGB colorspace. PS CS6 (mac) Edit/Colorsetting is also set to Prophoto RGB. Proof colors (cmd+y) is turned off.

I should have identical colors. But some pictures (far from all) are considerably darker and more reddish in Photoshop.
And even more strange:
When I export from LR and save as sRGB and do the same from Photoshop (open from Lightroom to Photoshop, and don't do any editing and from from within Photoshop save as jpg in sRGB) I have two sRGB jpg files that exhibits the same colorshift.

This is to me totally incromprehensible.

Can someone please help?

--
best regards
Michael
my portfolio:
https://plus.google.com/photos/117912300035031965170/albums/5726527399663302321

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Colorshift from LR4 to PS CS6: please help!!

Some folks have reported matching problems when using V4 ICC profiles for their monitor calibration and profiling. You may want to check your monitor calibration/profiling software to see if it gives you the option of changing between V2 and V4 and try a V2 monitor profile if possible.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:15 PM
michaelbennati
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Colorshift from LR4 to PS CS6: please help!!

I use Spyder3Elite and I don't see V4 or V2 anywhere..?

When I press "edit in Photoshop" in LR so the raw file opens in Photoshop and without any editing in photoshop immediately press cmd+S so the file reverts back in LR as a tiff file in the same colourspace (ProPhoto sRGB) then I can compare the raw and the unedited tiff file from within LR and I see a clear difference - the tiff file is darker and more reddish.

The same is not true with all files which makes it even more strange. I am completely lost.

I think the colour shift phenomenon is something new. I never noticed it before. I must have done something.

Maybe I should mention that I'm on a Macbook Retina with an external 30" external HP wide gamut monitor as my editing monitor. The Macbook has the lid closed when I do my pictures so it's not a dual screen setup. When I unplug the external monitor and only use the MacBook retina I see the same colour shift .

I just recalibrated both monitors. It didn't help.

Jan 29, 2013 at 03:43 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Colorshift from LR4 to PS CS6: please help!!

I don't have the Spyder3 but everything I find online indicates that the Spyder 3 Elite can generate both v2 and v4 profiles. If you check in your Help for the Spyder 3 software and look for "ICC Settings", you may find something.

My next guess would be weirdness caused by your video card. You might want to try turning off the accelerated graphics in Edit>Preferences>Performance in CS6 temporarily and see if that resolves the problem. I have heard at least one user complain about weirdness in Photoshop with the new Retina displays.

Jan 29, 2013 at 04:27 PM
michaelbennati
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Colorshift from LR4 to PS CS6: please help!!

I've been experimenting a lot now and found - not an explanation - but something interesting:

When I use my red leaf film lightroom presets, send the file to PS, save the file without touching it in PS and compare the 2 files (raw and tiff) back in LR, then the problem occurs: darker, more reddish, more contrasty tiff file compared to the Raw file.
When I use other presets than the Red Leaf LR presets or no presets at all and do the same (send it to PS and save it as tiff and compare the files in LR) I see no difference at all. !!!!!

I don't get it. surely there is some weirdness going on with the Red Leaf LR Film presets but what? The presets are merely normal adjustments as far as I can tell.

Jan 29, 2013 at 06:30 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Colorshift from LR4 to PS CS6: please help!!

Weird. I had one more idea: Are both ACR and LR updated to the latest versions?

Jan 29, 2013 at 06:38 PM
michaelbennati
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Colorshift from LR4 to PS CS6: please help!!

Acr 7.3 and Lr 4.3.
If there was a mismatch shurely it would effect other presets than The Red Leaf ones.

Jan 29, 2013 at 06:54 PM
ouuzi

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Colorshift from LR4 to PS CS6: please help!!

When I upgraded to 4.3 the preset folder where a bit messed up.Check your camera profiles folder.I had VSCO camera profiles and not the adobe ones.So when i was exporting LR was picking the first VSCO profile and i had way off colours.Check this out,it might be the solution.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:17 AM
michaelbennati
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Colorshift from LR4 to PS CS6: please help!!

Yes mine was too. I got it sorted. I also have VSCO camera profiles and with those no colour shift happen.
In fact I think I might have just discovered that the colour shift occurs every time camera profile "Adobe Standard" is selected.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:24 AM
michaelbennati
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Colorshift from LR4 to PS CS6: please help!!

I finally nailed it!!
When I open Adobe Camera Raw and check the calibration module I can see that all the camera profiles are present as they should be EXCEPT for "Adobe Standard" which is missing.
So when I open a raw file from LR with Adobe Standard applied (all Red Leaf presets!!) then ACR can't find it and applies the next camera profile on the list.
Now all I have to do is locate where ACR (on a Mac) stores its camera profiles and install it back... I hope.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:33 AM
ouuzi

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Colorshift from LR4 to PS CS6: please help!!

Glad you sorted it out.I had the exact problem last night.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:45 AM
michaelbennati
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Colorshift from LR4 to PS CS6: please help!!

Yes!! It worked.
Thank you all for your help!
:-)

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:03 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Colorshift from LR4 to PS CS6: please help!!

For the rest of us, where did you locate the Adobe Standard file on your mac along with the location of where ACR stores it's profiles?

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:46 AM
michaelbennati
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Colorshift from LR4 to PS CS6: please help!!

schlotz wrote:
For the rest of us, where did you locate the Adobe Standard file on your mac along with the location of where ACR stores it's profiles?

Yes I found it here: (Mac 10.8.2) HD/Library/Application support/Adobe/Camera Raw 7/CameraProfiles/AdobeStandard

And I put it here: HD/users/yourusername/LibraryApplication Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfile

Here is the important lesson:
ACR 7.3 and LR 4.3 wants all the custom profiles located on your roaming folder:

Windows:
"C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles"

MAC OS:
"HD/users/yourusername/LibraryApplication Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfile"

If your Library is hidden (mine was) all you have to do is this:

From OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion and 10.7 Lion, the /Library and ~/Library are hidden from the Finder – to show these directories in the GUI, launch Terminal from Applications/Utilities and run the command below with sudo and enter your admin password when requested:

sudo chflags nohidden /Library/ ~/Library/

Jan 31, 2013 at 05:19 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.