Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · NCAA Illinois women's gymnastics

quitalig1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NCAA Illinois women's gymnastics

Hello y'all.

If you don't remember me, here's a quick intro again.

I'm a longtime sports photos lurker here, and posted some gymnastics photos from an NCAA regional last spring.

I'm the Photo Editor of the student-run newspaper at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (The Daily Illini) and arguably favor photographing gymnastics compared to all of the D1 sports Illinois has to offer.

Between that and a semi-lightened course schedule this weekend, I had the chance to shoot and now even post photos from this weekend's meet. These were my favorites from the meet.

Enjoy!

(for the gearheads, all photos taken with either the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 @ f/1.6 or the Canon 70-200 IS II @ 2.8 on my 5D3)

Daryl Quitalig/The Daily Illini

Illinois' Alina Weinstein competes her vault pass during a dual meet at Huff Hall on Saturday, Jan. 26, 2013.

Illinois' Sunny Kato competes her uneven bars routine during a dual meet at Huff Hall on Saturday Jan. 26, 2013.

Illinois' Alina Weinstein reacts after competing her uneven bars routine during a dual meet at Huff Hall on Saturday Jan. 26, 2013.

Edited on Jan 29, 2013 at 08:08 PM · View previous versions

Jan 29, 2013 at 06:54 AM
quitalig1

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NCAA Illinois women's gymnastics

more photos

Illinois' Alina Weinstein competes her balance beam routine during a dual meet at Huff Hall on Saturday, Jan. 26, 2013.

Illinois' Alina Weinstein competes her floor exercise routine during a dual meet at Huff Hall on Saturday, Jan. 26, 2013.

Illinois' Alina Weinstein competes her floor exercise routine during a dual meet at Huff Hall on Saturday, Jan. 26, 2013.

Jan 29, 2013 at 06:57 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NCAA Illinois women's gymnastics

Daryl: Nicely done. That's a great vault capture. I want to like your last shot but I'm having trouble with the way her body is cut off. And I'm not sure why you've chosen to go so wide with your crop on the second-to-last image given the nature of the included background. I like the emotion you've captured in your third shot. Thanks for posting these.

Jan 30, 2013 at 05:52 PM
quitalig1

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · NCAA Illinois women's gymnastics

Fantastic to hear from you, Russ. I always enjoy looking at your gymnastics photos!

I guess this could be my rebuttal/thought process:

For the last image, that is pretty much OOC (FF 70mm) and chose not to crop out her lower back to show the extreme arch of her back, and also liked the usage of negative space.

Second-to-last: that too was pretty much OOC, I liked how the centering of her worked out with both the spectators (for the most part) watching her and also the solid color fields to divide the image into three layers (top color fields, strip of spectators/people, bottom blue color field). So the non-crop kept in more visual context, rather than a nice, super tightly-cropped image of her pose.

Would love to hear your thoughts on my thoughts.

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · NCAA Illinois women's gymnastics

Dylan: It's great to have your thought processes for these images. I often feel that one of the most important elements in all of this is WHY a particular shot is chosen for posting, and WHY it is presented as presented. Very helpful indeed, and it's great to see that you've given thought to all you have expressed. Ultimately, you're the king of your photos and you should hold strong to your vision; my comments represent considerations through another set of eyes and should be taken only as that.

Second-to-last image, it's the fact that the majority of the spectators are not watching that leads me to view them as more a distraction than an addition to the image. I see what you are saying about the levels (hadn't picked up on that). All a matter of taste.

For the last image, it's what you've described that I like very much about the photo, but the rather sudden end to her body just doesn't sit well with my eye-brain connection. It's a beautiful moment and image, and might not feel nearly as immediate with her full body captured.

Thanks very much for explaining your choices. So much of this is subjective and that part of it is too rarely shared.

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:33 PM
lhryshko
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · NCAA Illinois women's gymnastics

From the cheap seats of the photo critiquer section.......I like em. Different. Well done.

Numbers 1,2,3, and 6 for me (and 4 after using the PS knee straightener plug in).

Jan 31, 2013 at 02:12 AM
quitalig1

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · NCAA Illinois women's gymnastics

Russ - definitely true. Thus the beauty of conversation and why I do enjoy posting photos and seeing things from another's perspective, but also very valid point that in the end, they are my photos anyway, especially in such a subjective field.

Personally, I would love to get a shot of her straight on, her almost looking into the camera. Who knows, if she performs the same routine, I may get lucky...

Ihryshko - Definitely understand about #4 - I'm not sure if it was due to her not able to have her leg perfectly straight, or if the shutter was just not perfectly timed. Better luck next time for -the- perfect moment I guess?

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:33 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password