Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · m4/3 Macro: more working distance suggestions

MarcG19
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · m4/3 Macro: more working distance suggestions

Hello all,

I have the Olympus 60mm f/2.8 macro, which IMO is an awesome lens, but at the same time I'm looking for something that could give me a longer working distance. Since nothing native to m4/3 exists, I'd have to go for a conversion (not a problem).

I'd be looking for something in the 105mm-150mm range. I've considered one of a number of 105mms, in particular either the Nikon AI-S or Nikon AF-D (AI_S is manual focus, AF-D is autofocus without an internal motor. I have a non-G NIkon lens adapter which works well and am fine working MF+no exif with my OM-D) since I also have a Nikon D7000. Pros for the AI-S include lower used price, the fact that I like the build quality better on the Nikon mf lenses, and allegedly finer MF adjustments. Pros for the AF-D are the fact that it goes to 1:1 on a 35mm frame whereas the other only to 1:2. Both optics are reportedly stellar.

I've also considered a Sigma 150mm, probably in Nikon mount, since it would give me an effective 300mm macro lens. But that starts to become a very big lens.

Are there other lenses out there I should be considering? I know with adaptors there's worlds of usable lenses out there. Another one that tempts me is the zuiko 135mm macro, but there's not a huge amount of data I was able to quickly find on it, it seems to be somewhat rare, and (least important) Zuiko OM lenses are presently impossible to mount on Nikon bodies.

Thanks for any other suggestions,

Marc

Jan 29, 2013 at 04:47 AM
CVickery
• • • •
p.1 #2 · m4/3 Macro: more working distance suggestions

The Tamron Adaptall SP 90mm f2.8 and the earlier f2.5 macro lenses are well regarded. The Mamiya Macro A 120/4 is also a nice lens....almost APO and being a 645 format can be adapted to almost anything.

Jan 29, 2013 at 06:24 AM
MarcG19
• •
p.1 #3 · m4/3 Macro: more working distance suggestions

Thanks, CVickery. The Mamiya is interesting, albeit a bit large for m4/3.......

I've looked and fotodiox seems to make adapters for both. Any guesses as to whether or not doing this is worthwhile? ... (it may also be the spark I need to dabble in medium format film......)

Jan 31, 2013 at 04:19 AM
CVickery
• • • •
p.1 #4 · m4/3 Macro: more working distance suggestions

I understand what you are saying with the size, but it seems that once you get to ~100mm and above most macros are large. I've owned the Tamron 90/2.8 and still own the Mamiya 120/4. The lenses are both on the large size, but the Tamron is lighter. Here's a thread with the Tamron on m43:
http://www.mu-43.com/f40/tamron-sp-90mm-f-2-8-1-1-adaptall-ii-33192/
I don't think I've even mounted my Mamiya on m43, but here's some of my shots on Canon:
http://www.pbase.com/vickery/mamiya_120f4

If the size is the only issue you might consider this one:
http://en.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/lenses/2191.html
Never tried it but I expect if it's IQ didn't impress, the price would

Feb 01, 2013 at 07:05 AM
AhamB
• • • •
p.1 #5 · m4/3 Macro: more working distance suggestions

^Interesting that Leica call a lens that does 1:3 a macro lens.

Feb 01, 2013 at 07:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · m4/3 Macro: more working distance suggestions

It fits right in with the rest of the M system's philosophy

Feb 01, 2013 at 12:03 PM
eric1
• •
p.1 #7 · m4/3 Macro: more working distance suggestions

the Sigma 150 can be had pretty cheap used. it has a tripod ring to take the weight of the cam. it's really nice. also the Nikon 200 AIS is very good too. i think KEH has both lenses for around $500. if you want longer working distance, your gonna have to pay the weight price. on the other hand, what about some extension tubes on an existing M3/4 lens?

Feb 03, 2013 at 02:35 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · m4/3 Macro: more working distance suggestions

By the way, the Leica 90 Macro-Elmarit-M has exquisite rendering, but the f/4 was really hard to work with on an M8, which doesn't have much in the way of ISO reserves, so in the end I traded it for a 90AA.

Feb 03, 2013 at 02:52 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · m4/3 Macro: more working distance suggestions

I'd look at one of the Sigma 4/3rds macro on a MMF-3. The 150/2.8 in particular is available in 4/3rds mount.

Feb 03, 2013 at 03:34 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password