Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · How to make same day wedding slideshows?

AndreA SV

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to make same day wedding slideshows?

I need help urgently, one client is asking me to add some photos and clips of the video of her getting ready and formal shoot to their childhood and relationship Slideshow to show during the reception. I have no clue what program to use so I can take my laptop and burn the CD on that moment? Because if I do it in the iPad how can I give it to them to show in the projector?

Any suggestions? How do you guys do it?
Thank you so much for your help!

AndreA SV

Jan 29, 2013 at 03:49 AM
eephoto
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to make same day wedding slideshows?

I'm not sure if this link helps at all? I'm trying to figure out are you more concerned with actually creating the slideshow or putting it on a cd?

http://www.jasminestarblog.com/index.cfm?postID=1528&shooting-star-making-a-same-day-wedding-slideshow

Hope it helps somewhat...

Elaine

Jan 29, 2013 at 03:59 AM
AndreA SV

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to make same day wedding slideshows?

Thank you Elaine!

Actually I'm concerned with HOW do you pull it off in general? Do you have one person doing this only? Editing the whole thing while other person is shooting? In which program do you edit?

Jan 29, 2013 at 04:25 AM
AndreA SV

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to make same day wedding slideshows?

That link was very useful for photo slideshows. Thanks! About the video I'm still very confused!

Jan 29, 2013 at 04:38 AM
Ryan Britton
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to make same day wedding slideshows?

Most people that I've heard of doing this plug the ipad itself into the projector to drive it.

Jan 29, 2013 at 05:17 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to make same day wedding slideshows?

Is it just you or do you have a 2nd shooter, an assistant, another person doing video?

Because if it's you alone. You're going to have a hard time. If you have a 2nd shooter or an assistant with some experience then you're in a better position. Even more so if you have another person shooting video which I hope you do because the one man band isn't going to work for this.

Also the issue of mixing stills and video makes it more difficult. If it was just a slideshow of stills it would be simpler. But it being a mix of both mediums it's really going to be a video with some still thrown in there. So it's going to be a video production effort.

What you need to know first is how her childhood video is being presented. Is it being played from a DVD? VHS? a video file played off of a computer? Does she mind the prep playing before or after or does she want one seamless video?

Jan 29, 2013 at 05:18 AM
marko1953
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to make same day wedding slideshows?

There are a few program's that can combine stills and video clips. Proshow gold can do it easily ( windows only) so can iMovie or Final cut. If you don't have one of these you can use windows movie maker but I have little experience with that one. I would never attempt this.
1. On my own
or 2. If I wasn't already very fast and proficient at making slide shows under time pressure.

You could end up in a real mess!

Best advice...don't do it unless you have the necessary help or experience.

Jan 29, 2013 at 05:47 AM
AndreA SV

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to make same day wedding slideshows?

swoop wrote:
I hope you do because the one man band isn't going to work for this.

What you need to know first is how her childhood video is being presented. Is it being played from a DVD? VHS? a video file played off of a computer? Does she mind the prep playing before or after or does she want one seamless video?

Well my husband shoots the video and I shoot the photos but I do get the feeling we need a 3rd person to help us with the editing, right?
I am doing her childhood video myself so I get to decide how to present it.

Jan 29, 2013 at 05:48 AM
AndreA SV

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to make same day wedding slideshows?

Ryan Britton wrote:
Most people that I've heard of doing this plug the ipad itself into the projector to drive it.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of doing!

Jan 29, 2013 at 05:50 AM
AndreA SV

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to make same day wedding slideshows?

marko1953 wrote:
There are a few program's that can combine stills and video clips. Proshow gold can do it easily ( windows only) so can iMovie or Final cut. If you don't have one of these you can use windows movie maker but I have little experience with that one. I would never attempt this.
1. On my own
or 2. If I wasn't already very fast and proficient at making slide shows under time pressure.

You could end up in a real mess!

Best advice...don't do it unless you have the necessary help or experience.

I hear you! And I agree totally! Thanks for the advice! I am pretty good at making photo slideshows in iMovie, I've never tried it under pressure. :S

Jan 29, 2013 at 05:52 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

eephoto
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How to make same day wedding slideshows?

Sorry I completely missed the word "video" or just chose to
Ignore it! Lol!! That is a whole other ball of wax I know nothing about but it does sound challenging! I hope you pull it off!

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Prettym1k3
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How to make same day wedding slideshows?

Photo Mechanic should help.

Back up your 2-3 cards you've already shot. (15 minutes). Pick 30-45 images you love (5-10 minutes tops) - mostly moments that will capture the audience. Import into Lightroom (2-3 minute). Quick edits - (10-15 minutes). Export (1-2 minutes). Save onto thumbdrive or plug projector into the laptop. Done.

Also, I don't use Photomechanic. But I hear that should work just great for your purposes.

Jan 29, 2013 at 06:11 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How to make same day wedding slideshows?

Doing something you don't normally do and are not familiar with? Do you have time to actually learn how this will flow under pressure? Is it worth it because the results may not be something that represents you.

Learn it. Be ready.

Jan 29, 2013 at 06:26 PM
AndreA SV

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How to make same day wedding slideshows?

Prettym1k3 wrote:

Back up your 2-3 cards you've already shot. (15 minutes). Pick 30-45 images you love (5-10 minutes tops) - mostly moments that will capture the audience. Import into Lightroom (2-3 minute). Quick edits - (10-15 minutes). Export (1-2 minutes). Save onto thumbdrive or plug projector into the laptop. Done.

Thank you for your answer! It reassured me that it's actually possible timewise.

Jan 30, 2013 at 03:35 AM
AndreA SV

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How to make same day wedding slideshows?

cordellwillis wrote:
Doing something you don't normally do and are not familiar with? Do you have time to actually learn how this will flow under pressure? Is it worth it because the results may not be something that represents you.

Learn it. Be ready.

You're right Cordellwillis, that's what we're trying to decide right now! But it's definitely worth learning as we want to be one of the top and state of the art business in our region!

Jan 30, 2013 at 03:37 AM
marko1953
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How to make same day wedding slideshows?

Prettym1k3 wrote:

Also, I don't use Photomechanic. But I hear that should work just great for your purposes.

No music? I spend a lot of time choosing and adding music...fades and zooms? 30-45 images You say? I usually allow no more than 4 seconds per image ( any more creates boredom) with 1 or 2 sec transitions this means your show would only last about 4.5 minutes. I wonder if you've ever actually made a slide show or maybe we have totally different concepts of what we are talking about?

Jan 30, 2013 at 07:53 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How to make same day wedding slideshows?

I hate same day slideshows. I had people ask me for them and I have always refused. I won't do it for many reasons. but my top 2 are....1. It ruins the moment they would have got when I show them their edited photos later. 2. It makes it seem like your job is nothing and anyone can do it since you just threw up a slideshow of your work in 30 minutes. Kind of devalues your net worth in my opinion.

I had a friend who was big on this and I told him to watch out it might hurt him one day. It started to get very demanding and clients wanted more and more when they booked him. Then one wedding he couldn't get it done because they did not have enough time before the reception to get it done. The bride ended up suing him for a refund because he couldn't deliver. Now, after 3 years of doing it, he is getting complaints on why it takes him 3-4 weeks to get their wedding photos to them when he was able to do 100 or so photos on the day of in 30 minutes or less.

I say watch out.

Jan 30, 2013 at 03:04 PM
GCasey
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How to make same day wedding slideshows?

In situations like this, why not ask the client, "May I show you some 'before and after' photos?"

Then show one or two of your most dramatic 'before and after' images where your skills in editing and processing made a difference.

Showing less than your best work will de-value your worth.

Or, is this just wishful thinking?

Jan 30, 2013 at 03:43 PM
AndreA SV

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How to make same day wedding slideshows?

paparazzinick wrote:
I hate same day slideshows. I had people ask me for them and I have always refused. I won't do it for many reasons. but my top 2 are....1. It ruins the moment they would have got when I show them their edited photos later. 2. It makes it seem like your job is nothing and anyone can do it since you just threw up a slideshow of your work in 30 minutes. Kind of devalues your net worth in my opinion.

I had a friend who was big on this and I told him to watch out it might
...Show more

Wow! A completely different approach... Thank you! Something to think about definitely... Me, as a person and a bride, I also thought it was silly to show the photos of your wedding to the guests in the same day, kind of repetitive I feel, boring for other people. But I thought, if that's what clients want what does it matter what I think?

Jan 30, 2013 at 04:04 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How to make same day wedding slideshows?

AndreA SV wrote:
Wow! A completely different approach... Thank you! Something to think about definitely... Me, as a person and a bride, I also thought it was silly to show the photos of your wedding to the guests in the same day, kind of repetitive I feel, boring for other people. But I thought, if that's what clients want what does it matter what I think?

That is true. They are paying us to do them a service. So who cares what we think.... to a point.

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:44 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password