Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2013 · Waking up with the gods... (Orig Images on 3rd page)

JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Waking up with the gods... (Orig Images on 3rd page)

Mr Grimm wrote:
Fantastic shot Jim. Really like the composition, and especially the fact that you took the time to determine the most attractive/dramatic angle of the rock to photograph it from.

Is there any way you could post the 2 original files with your finger in the shot, as well as the sunstar by itself (or small crops of each)? Ive been trying my hand at doing this but I find I can never quite paint the sunstar back in without bringing an orange tint/cast with it in the surrounding the area. It seems you have this same problem, but you have
...Show more

Thanks so much for the kind words. I am glad that you liked the shot.

Now, as to dealing with the sun star and flares and color casting that can happen. I agree, that one of the major issues can be that color cast that gets spread out from the sun. Sometimes it's worse then others. Typically I think one does want some of that color cast right around the sun, but not where it spreads out too far into the image.

With this image I had a brain storm, and made one simple change in how I processed the shot, and I am thinking it may be really cool. Now probably a bunch of people have already come to this solution, but here is how I had been processing the shots where I stick my finger over the sun on one of the frames.

I would have the layer with the finger over the sun on the bottom, and then the shot with the sun star on top. I would use a layer mask on the top layer to paint out any flares and such. But while I have produced some really cool shots that way, sometimes it was hard, with color casting in too much of the image being a big issue.

So to solve that, my brain storm (I know many of you don't want me to be hurting my brain too much) was I switched the order of the layers. For the bottom layer, I placed the sunstar shot, and for the top layer I placed the image with my finger covering the sun. I did that because it hit me finally that the image with my finger over the sun, other then the obvious finger in the shot, it was the best overall shot as there is no color casting or flares etc in the image. So my thought was to use the Finger shot as the basis for the shot, and then with a layer mask I painted on top of the my finger to let the sunstar then show through. It was very simple in the end. Otherwise I would have been painting in say a dozen spots on the image, but this way I only had to paint in over my finger and the shot was basically done! Easy Peasy!

Now usually I will poke my finger in from the top of the frame vertically, having my finger go down until it covered the sun. And I took a few shots that way, but I fortunately realized that if I instead brought my finger in from the side, my finger wouldn't be disturbing the clouds as much, and the movement of the clouds between shots concerned me as the clouds were moving fast.

So here are the two shots simply downsized from the ACR conversion. The first being the top layer with my finger in the shot, and #2 being the sunstar shot. Which again, I used a simple layer mask, painted over my finger to let the sunstar show through from the bottom image, and bango I was done!

Any questions, please ask.

Jim

Jan 30, 2013 at 01:47 AM
sierasong1
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Waking up with the gods... (Orig Images on 3rd page)

Really nice comp Jim, love it. I like the editing, the warm glow on the rocks is really pretty. You handled the sun really well.
Debbie

Jan 30, 2013 at 01:58 AM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Waking up with the gods... (Orig Images on 3rd page)

Thanks so much for the detailed reply Jim. Great points about dealing with the sun star, as well as the cloud movement. (another problem I've been running ino but didnt mention :P )

Im might try making a small sun blocker instead of using my fingers next time. Perhaps some aluminum wire with a small black disk attached to the end. With your blending techniques and this contraption, I think I might be able to solve my haze and cloud movement problems. Thanks again.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:37 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Waking up with the gods... (Orig Images on 3rd page)

Mr Grimm wrote:
Thanks so much for the detailed reply Jim. Great points about dealing with the sun star, as well as the cloud movement. (another problem I've been running ino but didnt mention :P )

Im might try making a small sun blocker instead of using my fingers next time. Perhaps some aluminum wire with a small black disk attached to the end. With your blending techniques and this contraption, I think I might be able to solve my haze and cloud movement problems. Thanks again.

Thanks!

What you are describing sounds like a tool we used to use when printing our own work and we tried to dodge certain area's in the shot. So I see no reason why something like that wouldn't just work anyway on the shooting ended of it.

I hope you are able to figure the issues out that you have.

Jim

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:47 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Waking up with the gods... (Orig Images on 3rd page)

sierasong1 wrote:
Really nice comp Jim, love it. I like the editing, the warm glow on the rocks is really pretty. You handled the sun really well.
Debbie

Thanks so much Deb, I sure really loved that light that morning.

Jim

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:48 AM
teked
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Waking up with the gods... (Orig Images on 3rd page)

Wonderful shot, and tutorial, Jim. Thanks for sharing your technique.

Cheers,
Ed

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:07 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Waking up with the gods... (Orig Images on 3rd page)

Yeah, I used to solder a penny onto the end of a coat hanger wire as my darkroom dodging tool (and thus disposed of all the business profits for a year). I keep meaning to make one for sun dodging in the field. But I guess because of inflation, it would have to be a quarter now.

Great shot, Jim, and I really appreciate your showing the originals; it's good to compare techniques even if the concept is the same.

Dave

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:30 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Waking up with the gods... (Orig Images on 3rd page)

Nice Jim, I havnt done that for a while!

I tend to shoot a panoramic and blend out the flare thesedays but will give this another go one day.

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:51 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Waking up with the gods... (Orig Images on 3rd page)

Beautiful shot.

Jan 31, 2013 at 07:34 PM
astro-ep
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Waking up with the gods... (Orig Images on 3rd page)

Really cool. I do a lot of this type of masking & blending in my astro photos, but never thought to do something like this on DSLR shots. That D800 is pretty incredible, but I'm sure the photographer deserves more credit with the success of the image.

Learn something new every day... Thanks!

Eric

Jan 31, 2013 at 08:13 PM
John Richter
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Waking up with the gods... (Orig Images on 3rd page)

Jim,

Beautiful, just beautiful. It feels like I'm standing right there. Great work!

Your finger trick has got me thinking. Thanks for that idea.

JBR

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:40 PM
tfoltz
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Waking up with the gods... (Orig Images on 3rd page)

Excellent

-Tim

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:45 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Waking up with the gods... (Orig Images on 3rd page)

teked wrote:
Wonderful shot, and tutorial, Jim. Thanks for sharing your technique.

Cheers,
Ed

Hey Ed, thanks so much. Hopefully we all can share different techniques from time to time.

Jim

Feb 01, 2013 at 01:30 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Waking up with the gods... (Orig Images on 3rd page)

dsjtecserv wrote:
Yeah, I used to solder a penny onto the end of a coat hanger wire as my darkroom dodging tool (and thus disposed of all the business profits for a year). I keep meaning to make one for sun dodging in the field. But I guess because of inflation, it would have to be a quarter now.

Great shot, Jim, and I really appreciate your showing the originals; it's good to compare techniques even if the concept is the same.

Dave

Hey Dave, yeah... I really should make something up better then my finger... Not sure if I want to use a penny because I would hate to use up all my profits too...

Jim

Feb 01, 2013 at 01:31 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Waking up with the gods... (Orig Images on 3rd page)

astro-ep wrote:
Really cool. I do a lot of this type of masking & blending in my astro photos, but never thought to do something like this on DSLR shots. That D800 is pretty incredible, but I'm sure the photographer deserves more credit with the success of the image.

Learn something new every day... Thanks!

Eric

Thanks so much Eric. Yeah, it's a cool thing that we can keep learning, and it's a great thing about this forum.

Jim

Feb 01, 2013 at 01:32 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Waking up with the gods... (Orig Images on 3rd page)

John Richter wrote:
Jim,

Beautiful, just beautiful. It feels like I'm standing right there. Great work!

Your finger trick has got me thinking. Thanks for that idea.

JBR

Hey John, I am glad I could get you thinking... that's always a good thing!

Jim

Feb 01, 2013 at 01:32 AM
Slabshaft
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Waking up with the gods... (Orig Images on 3rd page)

The finger trick . . . genius.

Feb 01, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Picture This!
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Waking up with the gods... (Orig Images on 3rd page)

great shot Jim !

Feb 01, 2013 at 03:59 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Waking up with the gods... (Orig Images on 3rd page)

Nice shot Jim. I like the use of your creativity with your finger. This is similiar to the technique for people that don't have a GND and use a card, wallet, cloth, etc, for part of the exposure time.

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:54 PM
bshamilton
• • • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Waking up with the gods... (Orig Images on 3rd page)

Exxxxxcellent!! Beautiful work, Jim.

Barry

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.