Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Quick release plate for Gitzo?

beccaquint

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Quick release plate for Gitzo?

I recently purchased a Steadicam Merlin 2 for some of my video work and am considering getting a quick release plate so I can easily transition between my Gitzo tripod and the Steadicam. I was considering the Manfrotto 577 but am not sure if it is compatible with Gitzo tripod heads? Can someone advise?

Also, I just recently traded out my Manfrotto tripod for a Gitzo...I'm working with the GT1541T legs and would also appreciate a recommendation for a good head, preferably on the cheaper end.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:56 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Quick release plate for Gitzo?

The Manfrotto video plates aren't compatible with their camera ball heads. Personally, I really don't like their ball heads or (camera) plate system.

For a good ball head for decent money, I'd look at Sunwayfoto or Sirui. I've reviewed a couple heads for Sunwayfoto, and been very impressed with their quality, even their entry heads. The Sirui heads seem a little more consumer-grade in their build, but are even more affordable.

I don't know anything about mounting for Steadycam, but I'd consider Arca-Swiss if you're using an SLR in that setup and want compatibility with regular head/tripod systems.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Quick release plate for Gitzo?

You can use manfrotto 501 plates (standard plate that comes with the 577) in the current Gitzo QR clamp. Since the width is the same, I think it might go the other way as well (what you would need to do for this setup). I was a bit surprised when I realized that the 501 and the Gitzo QR plates are the exact same width.

Jan 30, 2013 at 06:05 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password