Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2013 · Hiking: IQ, weight, size = NEX6+kitlens?

bmwrider75
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Hiking: IQ, weight, size = NEX6+kitlens?

Awesome shot Vern.

I agree re the RX100. It's great in good light, but there is a huge difference in quality between the OMD and the RX at anything much over base ISO. I really, really like the RX100 but still would hesitate to shoot anything, even casually, much over ISO 800.

I remain very very impressed with the OM D files and lens selection. I did not like it particularly for adapted MF lenses, where folks seem to really like NEX. I wanted coupled, native mount AF lenses and the m43 system is very mature. I can a carry an astonishingly broad lens selection in a very, very small bag.

dc

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:32 AM
mortyb
• • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Hiking: IQ, weight, size = NEX6+kitlens?

Vern, that's an awesome shot!

Feb 08, 2013 at 06:01 AM
ytwong
• • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Hiking: IQ, weight, size = NEX6+kitlens?

I also don't get why stitching can't work!?
I do stitching quite often (with Autopano) but there are times stitching doesn't work, or troublesome..
1. Wind + grass/tress
2. Long exposure + Water
3. Changing light/color , that can happen during sunset.
4. When i need to do HDR as well
5. Moving objects ...ships, animals, people (crowded city.... sometimes the same people repeat in different frames)

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:19 AM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Hiking: IQ, weight, size = NEX6+kitlens?

ytwong wrote:
I do stitching quite often (with Autopano) but there are times stitching doesn't work, or troublesome..
1. Wind + grass/tress
2. Long exposure + Water
3. Changing light/color , that can happen during sunset.
4. When i need to do HDR as well
5. Moving objects ...ships, animals, people (crowded city.... sometimes the same people repeat in different frames)

Yes, obviously it can't always work, but I could list a whole bunch of scenarios where a large and heavy camera system don't work too. Or a large, heavy tripod. Or the bother of setting up a whole pano head etc... Nothing will work in every single scenario, but I've taken so many quick, handheld panos that look good at huge print sizes that I always wonder if maybe most of us are just a bit too fussy sometimes? Of course it must be different for people making a living off photography, although I have a few books by Galen Rowell and his printed photo books aren't even CLOSE to as sharp and detailed as most of my RX100 shots are!

Like someone said earlier, photography isn't always about getting every blade of grass sharp, sometimes it's about capturing a time and place that relay an emotion or special memory. Maybe that's the difference between 'serious' photographers and guys like me who just enjoy the great outdoors and want to bring home some nice memories for my living room wall or my next photobook.

The good part is that we're all free to carry as much or little as we want - there's no "right way" or "wrong way" - just your way and my way.

Feb 08, 2013 at 10:06 AM
bmwrider75
• •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Hiking: IQ, weight, size = NEX6+kitlens?

Well said!

Feb 08, 2013 at 10:12 AM
time2clmb
• •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Hiking: IQ, weight, size = NEX6+kitlens?

Vern Dewit wrote:
That's impressive! Do you have the gear hanging around your neck the whole time? I found that the weight of all that gear was taking the fun out of adventure for me. Especially when bush whacking!

A little late on the reply but side access pack is my preference...or back access if using my larger pack. I have way too much neck pain if I hang a camera off my neck by the strap for any length of time.

Feb 11, 2013 at 05:41 PM
time2clmb
• •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Hiking: IQ, weight, size = NEX6+kitlens?

Killer shot Vern. I've been curious as to when some one with a massive set of balls and some healthy dose of sillyness is going to ski that ridge / spine as a line.

Feb 11, 2013 at 05:50 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.