New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Finding missing lightroom raw files after converting to DNG

Nathan Padgett
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Finding missing lightroom raw files after converting to DNG

I've been converting old raw files to dng, but I've got one annoying problem. After I delete the raws, I have to find DNG version of the missing photos in lightroom. Even though "find photos close by" is on, it will not find the other ones because of the different file name (extension). I'd have to find each one individually.

Is there way around that?

Jan 27, 2013 at 08:54 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Finding missing lightroom raw files after converting to DNG

Do you need to find them ? I thought the idea was that raw files disappear and the replacement dng files contained all of the relevant info about edits, ratings, etc. If so, then perhaps you can just wipe your missing raw files from the catalog and then do a fresh import of the new dng files by synchronising each folder or perhaps just the parent folder.

Try creating a brand new catalog and import some of the dngs into it to see if it really works. If so then do it with the old catalog.

Personally I don't like dng files because any change at all to the metadata makes the file contents change and that subsequently generates a new backup file by my backup program. Too much clutter. I'd rather use raw files but I also avoid their .xmp files and rely on a well backed up catalog file.

- Alan

Feb 03, 2013 at 03:45 PM
Monkey Falls
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Finding missing lightroom raw files after converting to DNG

Probably the easiest way is to create a "watched folder" using the auto import feature in Lightroom and have your dng files created in that folder. When you change folders that you want the files to be imported into, then you just have to change the auto import destination file.

This link may help.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/lightroom/using/WS1FAB59DE-8867-4052-BA02-5CF6C163CD29.html

Feb 03, 2013 at 04:58 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.