Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
  

Archive 2013 · Different Feathery Wings With Fill Flash...
  
 
BeeBalm
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Different Feathery Wings With Fill Flash...


Hi My Forum Photographers!

Itís been very cold and the lakes are frozen. Yesterday they were closed due to snow. Today I went to one of my local lakes and found these two songbirds.

What do you all think about fill flash? Iíve never used it before on songbirds.

I bought a better beamer and attached it to my 7D with the 400mm on it. These birds were backlight. If I let the meter do the exposure, they would be silhouettes. If I used exposure compensation, the sky would have been totally blown out, no blue at all. By using some fill flash the sky remains blue and the birds have some color.

I need practice in deciding how much fill flash to add as these are my first attempts. It was difficult because they kept flitting around in the brush rarely popping up to a background with sky.


Pix 1...
Canon 7D, 400mm F5.6, hand held, 1/2000, F8 + EV 1/3, ISO 400 w/FillFlash EV 0

Lincoln Sparrow







Pix 2...
Canon 7D, 400mm F5.6, hand held, 1/2000, F7.1 + EV 1/3, ISO 400 w/Fill Flash EV -1 1/3

Mockingbird







I am sharing a first songbirds thread with you all today! Hope you like them!
BeeBalm



Edited on Jan 28, 2013 at 02:30 PM · View previous versions



Jan 27, 2013 at 11:40 PM
KCollett
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Different Feathery Wings With Fill Flash...


Hi Beebalm. I like the second, but it is not a junco. Looks like something from the mockingbird family, or close ally. I'm not expert on fill flash, but you didn't overbake them, so that is a good thing.


Jan 28, 2013 at 12:16 AM
surfnron
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Different Feathery Wings With Fill Flash...


Both are nice and sharp BB. 2 is my pick too. Just enough fill to bring out the details. 1 could have used a little "-" comp on the flash - maybe -1/3. But Morris will give you the definitive answer if he sees this post. ~ Ron


Jan 28, 2013 at 01:24 AM
DonGut
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Different Feathery Wings With Fill Flash...


The images look a bit flat to me. That is the issue I have with a fill flash, however there are some that know how to make it work. Don


Jan 28, 2013 at 01:37 AM
thomas_1950
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Different Feathery Wings With Fill Flash...


HI Beebalm,

The first image is not a Chipping Sparrow but it looks good for a Lincoln's Sparrow.

I'm with Don on the flat look.

Best,
Tom




Jan 28, 2013 at 03:04 AM
Tim Kuhn
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Different Feathery Wings With Fill Flash...


I think you are a quick study BB. These may not be top shelf shots but you are trying, posting and learning. In my mind that's huge, good on you and keep it up

Tim



Jan 28, 2013 at 03:10 AM
BeeBalm
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Different Feathery Wings With Fill Flash...


KCollett wrote:
Hi Beebalm. I like the second, but it is not a junco. Looks like something from the mockingbird family, or close ally. I'm not expert on fill flash, but you didn't overbake them, so that is a good thing.


Good morning Ken,
Thanks for visiting my thread! And a big thanks for providing me the correct name!! I corrected my thread.
It's much appreciated!
Monarda



Jan 28, 2013 at 02:54 PM
David Leask
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Different Feathery Wings With Fill Flash...


Nice pair BB, well done
David



Jan 28, 2013 at 08:35 PM
BeeBalm
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Different Feathery Wings With Fill Flash...


surfnron wrote:
Both are nice and sharp BB. 2 is my pick too. Just enough fill to bring out the details. 1 could have used a little "-" comp on the flash - maybe -1/3. But Morris will give you the definitive answer if he sees this post. ~ Ron


Ron thanks so much for your post! it is appreciated!
BeeBalm



Jan 29, 2013 at 01:15 AM
BeeBalm
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Different Feathery Wings With Fill Flash...


DonGut wrote:
The images look a bit flat to me. That is the issue I have with a fill flash, however there are some that know how to make it work. Don


Don Thank you for visiting and your thoughts!
BeeBalm



Jan 29, 2013 at 03:30 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



BeeBalm
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Different Feathery Wings With Fill Flash...


thomas_1950 wrote:
HI Beebalm,

The first image is not a Chipping Sparrow but it looks good for a Lincoln's Sparrow.

I'm with Don on the flat look.

Best,
Tom



Tom thank you for the bird information. I corrected my thread! BeeBalm



Jan 30, 2013 at 01:53 AM
birdied
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · Different Feathery Wings With Fill Flash...


They look good to me and don't have that "flash" look. The last is my favorite.
I have a better beamer and am trying to learn it myself.


Birdie



Jan 30, 2013 at 02:05 AM
BeeBalm
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · Different Feathery Wings With Fill Flash...


Tim Kuhn wrote:
I think you are a quick study BB. These may not be top shelf shots but you are trying, posting and learning. In my mind that's huge, good on you and keep it up

Tim


Tim,
Thank you!!!
BeeBalm



Jan 30, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Phildan
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · Different Feathery Wings With Fill Flash...


They look ggod to me as well. Mastering a flash with a BB isn't an easy task and you did rather well. Much better than what I would have done

Phil.



Jan 31, 2013 at 12:21 AM
BeeBalm
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · Different Feathery Wings With Fill Flash...


David Leask wrote:
Nice pair BB, well done
David


David thanks a bunch!!! BeeBalm



Feb 01, 2013 at 01:24 PM
baileyjmad
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · Different Feathery Wings With Fill Flash...


Hey BB. This is a great start with fill flash on small birds. You've given some good info here as well. Thanks.
John



Feb 01, 2013 at 08:13 PM
BeeBalm
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · Different Feathery Wings With Fill Flash...


birdied wrote:
They look good to me and don't have that "flash" look. The last is my favorite.
I have a better beamer and am trying to learn it myself.

Birdie


Birdie thank you for visiting! BeeBalm



Feb 02, 2013 at 08:21 PM
Charlie Shugart
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · Different Feathery Wings With Fill Flash...


Bee-
In my simple world they both look just fine.
I especially like the tight natural framing in the first image.
Charlie



Feb 03, 2013 at 02:18 AM
BeeBalm
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · Different Feathery Wings With Fill Flash...


Phildan wrote:
They look ggod to me as well. Mastering a flash with a BB isn't an easy task and you did rather well. Much better than what I would have done

Phil.



Phil thank you!!!! BeeBalm



Feb 03, 2013 at 05:56 PM
Howard Kearley
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · Different Feathery Wings With Fill Flash...


Nice shots, I can't advise as I don't know😀

Howard



Feb 03, 2013 at 09:39 PM
1
       2       3       end




FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password