Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · File Renaming

smukshots

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · File Renaming

What is the best method for file renaming for a wedding?

Is it best to rename before retouching or after?

Lately I have been renaming after retouching, but I would like some input on what is most efficient.

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:55 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · File Renaming

I rename upon export from LR. Renaming should be the final step before creating your master JPG files.

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:56 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · File Renaming

I think where it's most efficient to rename files will depend on your workflow and end purposes. Eventually you should see where it would make the most sense to do it.

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:59 PM
tdurnan
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · File Renaming

sboerup wrote:
I rename upon export from LR. Renaming should be the final step before creating your master JPG files.

This ^ or sometimes I use an automation in Mac automator which also works well depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:28 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · File Renaming

sboerup wrote:

+1....actually i do something a little different...i use aperture, but what i do is get all my files (that make the cut) edited and sorted in the order i want (sometimes chronologically isnt the best way in all cases), then i do a batch rename, with a counter starting at 001.....so that way whether i export jpgs, or have to come back to a raw file later, shot number 087 is always 087, whether i exported it to a backup drive, or it's still in Aperture as a raw file...and i only rename what i edit/deliver...the rest i could care less about...

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Michael Beard
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · File Renaming

I normally do a batch rename to the raws in Lightroom right after a wedding has been culled. In the past I have made the mistake of just exporting jpgs with a new name but had issues when I had to re-export an image for one reason or another.

Jan 28, 2013 at 03:23 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · File Renaming

sboerup wrote:

This. I reorganize them in chronological order in LR (easy if cameras are synced). Edit, tweak, blah blah blah. Then upon export, I change file names.

I use SmugMug. So I set Lightroom to export with MJP-0001 as my first file name. This gives me 4 character places, in case for some gawd awful reason I deliver over 999 images. Plus, once uploaded, I tell SmugMug to sort by file name, and boom: they're all in order. Done. Lovely. Wonderful. Good. Okay.

Jan 29, 2013 at 06:13 PM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · File Renaming

Same as most here. I rename as the last step before exporting. That way I can find a file in LR if a client needs me to. I don't keep the jpegs I make for them.

Gordon

Jan 29, 2013 at 06:41 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · File Renaming

p2fx wrote:
I normally do a batch rename to the raws in Lightroom right after a wedding has been culled. In the past I have made the mistake of just exporting jpgs with a new name but had issues when I had to re-export an image for one reason or another.

This for me for the same reason stated. If I have to go back to the RAW for re-export it makes finding it a lot easier.

Jan 29, 2013 at 06:50 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · File Renaming

cordellwillis wrote:
This for me for the same reason stated. If I have to go back to the RAW for re-export it makes finding it a lot easier.

Exactly. Ideally you want to do it immediately after culling, rename the actual files. The problem if you don't is mis-matches later. I also often provide a black and white AND color version of the same image (depending on the client and the image in question), and I prefer for those filenames to be 01, 02, 03, 04, 04-Edit, 05, 06, 06-Edit, and so on, instead of being all a unique filename if it's the same image.

Jan 29, 2013 at 08:54 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password