Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · D800 vs 5D3 High ISO in video Mode

Dave_EP
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800 vs 5D3 High ISO in video Mode

I posted this as part of a much longer post in the Canon forum, but thought it may be of interest to any one looking at video on their DSLR.

D800 vs 5D3 High ISO Low Ligh Test - ISO1250 to 12800

Make sure you play it FULL SCREEN.

Look for the sharpness in the lower ISO settings. I think the D800 is the winner. But then look at ISO3200 and up and I think the tables turn quite rapidly.

I've been evaluating both bodies for video, hence the test.

Don't bother flaming about getting a video camera for video, I already have both

Jan 27, 2013 at 09:31 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800 vs 5D3 High ISO in video Mode

Interesting, it is tough to make an accurate assessment because of the difference in contrast.

I am amazed at how poor DSLRs are at high iso with video given their still performance (and also the sharpness of the video) but no doubt from needing to use line skipping and things since they were never meant to be video cameras.

Jan 27, 2013 at 09:54 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800 vs 5D3 High ISO in video Mode

Mark_L wrote:
Interesting, it is tough to make an accurate assessment because of the difference in contrast.

That's a valid point. I did do this test several times over, increasing saturation and contrast on the Nikon and decreasing it on the Canon.

The results were broadly similar. The D800 was always the sharper camera. The 5D3 was always the lower noise.

The 5D3 benefits from some sharpening in post whereas even the slightest sharpening on the D800 makes it pretty nasty!

So, with the D800 you get what you get. The 5D3 is not as sharp SOOC but does sharpen up quite a bit (though it's never quite as sharp as the D800 SOOC).

BTW - the Canon colours were actually more accurate, which TBH surprised me.

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:10 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password