FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2013 · Decision on D700, D600 or D800

lazar223

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Decision on D700, D600 or D800

Follow-up Post Script...

It has been seven months since this thread concluded and I just want to say thank you guys for all of your help. I absolutely love the D800. It is all that it was forecast to be and more. As my luck would have it, this summer before the wedding that I shot, I bought another one used, with only 2800 clicks for $2100. My rationale was that another one would make a perfect backup/second body. There was an 85 year old photographer who was hanging up his cleats and selling all of his pristine pro Nikon glass and cameras. I also bought a 24-70 2.8 from him. The D800 and the 24-70 are an amazing combination which helped me nail the wedding. The bride was ecstatic about the images that I captured for her.

Needless to say, this has sparked a severe episode of NAS...I also picked up from him a "9.5/10" condition 85/1.4D and a 135/2DC. And then last week he decided to let go of a like new D700 with only 2900 clicks for a $1000. I figure the D700 will be perfect for sports shooting and other events where I dont want to process hundreds of huge files. Given that all of this equipment is in like new condition, I should be set for years to come. Now I am cash poor and Nikon rich for XMas. It doesnt matter if I dont get any presents from my family. My Xmas has come already!

Dec 10, 2013 at 02:59 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Decision on D700, D600 or D800

My Xmas has come already!

Ha ha - it sounds like it ... and a wise investment at those prices. Though of course you could have just shot in 12 bit RAW or fine Jpgs to reduce at least a little of the file bulk instead of buying the D700, but where is the fun in that

I would say 'enjoy' but that is totally redundant isn't it

Dec 10, 2013 at 06:29 AM

p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Decision on D700, D600 or D800

lazar223 wrote:
Follow-up Post Script...

Thanks for your after-decision post and review, it's very appreciated.
It seems I am in your boat now as I decide to upgrade from my original Canon 5D. And I look in the direction of D800 and Sig 35/1.4 as a starting combo. Thanks God I have just 1 Canon lens waiting for sale so my transition into Nikon's world would be quite painless.
I see some hidded benefits of D800 over D600 as adjusting aperture in LV mode and DOF preview, availability of live histogram in LV, multiselector center button acting as an instant zoom in button in playback and LV, and some obvious features as flash sync 1/250 over 1/180, max shortest ss 1/8000 and surely 36MP in total. D800's drawbacks are just +150g heavier and +1000$ more expensive. Did I forget to mention smth?

Dec 10, 2013 at 01:14 PM
lazar223

p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Decision on D700, D600 or D800

Much obliged Alex. I struggled with this decision for many months and am glad that I took the time to think it through well. Many people on this board helped me both directly with insight and indirectly, giving me other avenues to consider. I think the sporting thing to do is close the loop by revealing what i did and how it has turned out for me.

Under original consideration was the D600,700 and 800. Subsequently, after wise counsel i also considered the D3. All were good choices but in the end I chose to move forward with newer technology owing largely to the better sensor & dynamic range, AF, video, lighter weight and "pro" ergonomics. In retrospect, having lived with the D800 for months now, it was the only choice that I should have considered. It is a brilliant camera. While the D600 is also a great camera, I chose the pro body and ergonomics. The D700 is legendary and was the class of its day, but how might I feel about it in another 3-5 years? The same could be somewhat be said about the D3. None of these are bad choices. IMO, the D800 is the better choice.

This camera has forced me to become a better and more honest photographer. Any flaw in your technique will show up, so you have to step up your game. One times the focal length doesnt work anymore. Needs to be at least 1.5X - 2X as a standard. Which means that fast glass is also a requirement. Even the small files out of this thing are 25-40mb. I shot a wedding and filled up a 32 gb CF card. It isnt hard to do.
Like any marriage, your partner will force you to make adjustments. If you recognize that going in, life will be a lot easier............

Dec 10, 2013 at 04:32 PM
Mataz426
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Decision on D700, D600 or D800

The last generation of cameras, D700 and Canon 5D MK II are still excellent cameras. I've seen images from both and I ask you, how much better does a photo have to be? People chase tech all the time, and maybe should work on their own skills at photography. I'm not directing this to anyone, just saying.

Dec 10, 2013 at 06:22 PM
lazar223

p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Decision on D700, D600 or D800

I think it is a valid point regarding man's nature to chase tech. But it also a double edge sword. It is the photographer who chooses what goes into a picture. He can use any tool available to take his picture. The question is what drives the photographers choices? Is it "NAS" or a desire to push his craft? Few among us are pure, so I think the answer will be some of both. Good tech makes things which used to be hard much easier and more accessible. It shouldn't make us lazy. It should make us better and more curious as to how to extract more from ourselves and from our tools/ tech.

That said, my original decision was driven by an assignment which required better tools than what I owned. Luck and availability played a role in my acquisitions. I live on a small island with very high customs duty on everything brought to the island. My entire wish list came available on the local version of Craigslist . All-in probably saved me $1500-$2000. The next part of my journey is continuing mastery of my technique and tecnology.

Dec 10, 2013 at 08:13 PM
nikon65
• • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Decision on D700, D600 or D800

I don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices as all are solid cameras. I miss my D700. It was a great camera. It all comes down to what you're going to be photographing. As a wildlife shooter, low-light / high ISO, and high FPS is a must. If money isn't a major issue, you may want to consider a D3s. It's still a sweet camera.

Dec 11, 2013 at 08:24 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.