Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2013 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

Chris Humphrey
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

Just a side note... I really want a second 1DX, but if I could get a second 1DX AND a Mark IV that would probably satisfy my need for additional gear for quite some time. I still think of the 1D4 as a great camera, and the 1.3 crop comes in super handy for a lot of situations (i.e. football, soccer, baseball, wildlife, etc etc)

Jan 28, 2013 at 02:31 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

How can it be one of the top five without Marty Robbins, Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, Merle Haggard or Johnny Cash singing?

Can't remember any of these guys fronting any of the hot bands of the era!
As for the early '70s, I was just back from a 13 month vacation in SE Asia where I spent a lot of time hearing Marvin Gayle and Motown while knee deep in mud.

As for the topic, I think the 1DIV is actually holding up quite well considering how far we are in to the introduction of the the 1Dx. Consider what has happened to 1DsIII prices as folks have dumped it for the 5DIII. As someone else noted, when you replace a $4.5K camera with a ~$7K one, that cuts a lot of the market off. The 1DIV is a d*mn fine tool. Sure I'd like a 1Dx (mostly for the ISO), but that's some serious scratch.

Robert

Jan 28, 2013 at 03:30 PM
Reckless

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

Interesting topic, both the camera values and the bands.
I have been waiting for a company bonus to purchase a used 1D3 but in the time I have been waiting, (couple of months) I have noticed quite a change in the 1Ds3 and 1D4 prices.
Original idea was a 1D3 and some money for a nice long lens for wildlife, motorcycle and dog racing. With the prices of 1Ds3's getting down close to $2200 or so I am questioning whether or not 5 FPS would be enough or if I really need 10 FPS. I understand that I will lose range with the FF vs 1.3 crop but I will double the pixel count. I'm not sure how the 1Ds3 focus tracking is different from the 1D3 on moving objects though.
I plan on keeping the body for a long time, (current camera is a EOS3) so getting a 1D2 or 1D2n doesn't seem worthwhile as they are not being supported by Canon from what I understand.
The way 1D4 prices have dropped from $3700-3800 down to $2900-3200 though if I wait another 2-3 months I might get a 1D4 for $2500.

Jan 28, 2013 at 04:43 PM
Killergoalie
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

Reckless wrote:
Interesting topic, both the camera values and the bands.
I have been waiting for a company bonus to purchase a used 1D3 but in the time I have been waiting, (couple of months) I have noticed quite a change in the 1Ds3 and 1D4 prices.
Original idea was a 1D3 and some money for a nice long lens for wildlife, motorcycle and dog racing. With the prices of 1Ds3's getting down close to $2200 or so I am questioning whether or not 5 FPS would be enough or if I really need 10 FPS. I understand that I will lose range with
...Show more

I am in exactly the same position as you are. I'm torn between the 1Ds Mk III and 1D Mk IV. I shoot a variety of subjects from landscapes/scenics, macro, wildlife, birds, some portraits, some sports etc.

I love the IQ of the full-frame cameras esp for macro work and the D.O.F. I also love the 10 FPS of the 1D Mk IV, (sounds so cool, and may cause some nearby attractive photographers/lookiloos of the female persuasion to inquire about it, or take notice) plus it's a newer body, and has a brighter rear LCD screen. (My eyes ain't what they used to be.)

High ISO capability isn't too important as I prefer the lower end range. However I am hoping to photograph the Aurora Borealis one day and expect to shoot at ISO's 800 & 1600 possibly 3200 (but I'll try and use the latter only if absolutely necessary).

Otherwise, ISO 800 is likely as high as I would go 80% of the time, and usually no higher than 400 about 75% of the time.

I definitely WANT a 1 series body as I love the feel of them in my hand. There is a true difference between the built-in grip and the add-on grips of the non 1 series bodies.

The price difference right now isn't that much so I'm still 50/50 on trying to decide.

Good luck with your decision.

Jan 28, 2013 at 04:59 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

Killergoalie wrote:
I am in exactly the same position as you are. I'm torn between the 1Ds Mk III and 1D Mk IV. I shoot a variety of subjects from landscapes/scenics, macro, wildlife, birds, some portraits, some sports etc.

I love the IQ of the full-frame cameras esp for macro work and the D.O.F. I also love the 10 FPS of the 1D Mk IV, (sounds so cool, and may cause some nearby attractive photographers/lookiloos of the female persuasion to inquire about it, or take notice) plus it's a newer body, and has a brighter rear LCD screen. (My eyes ain't what they
...Show more

Killer,
I'm close to having saved enough to purchase a nice 1DsIII. Currently it appears that no one will pay more than $2300-$2400 for one and it has to have everything with it. From your description, I offer this nickel's worth of advice. The 1DsIII would probably serve you better. I got the 1DIV because my sports work (which is paying far better than the landscape and "art") demanded the thru put and the high ISO. To swing the 1DIV purchase I had to sell my 1DsII which I sorely miss.

The FF, AF, and IQ of the 1DsIII is superb. Those who have just purchased 5DIIIs will dispute this but other than much higher ISO and better thru put, I don't think it really has anything on the 1DsIII's image quality. Again, the 5DIII being newer will have better bells and whistles (including a higher rez LCD).

Frankly if you don't need 10 FPS and fairly good ISO 6400, I can't see the 1DIV giving anything you need and there is no doubt - based upon the limited tests I've done - that the 1DsIII creates a better image.

Again $0.05 worth of advice, but it's where I'm headed.

Robert

Jan 28, 2013 at 05:48 PM
Killergoalie
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

OntheRez wrote:
Killer,
I'm close to having saved enough to purchase a nice 1DsIII. Currently it appears that no one will pay more than $2300-$2400 for one and it has to have everything with it. From your description, I offer this nickel's worth of advice. The 1DsIII would probably serve you better. I got the 1DIV because my sports work (which is paying far better than the landscape and "art") demanded the thru put and the high ISO. To swing the 1DIV purchase I had to sell my 1DsII which I sorely miss.

The FF, AF, and IQ of the 1DsIII is superb. Those
...Show more

Thanks for the feedback/input, Robert. Much appreciated.

I'm sort of leaning toward the 1Ds Mk III as it is. I "test drove" one last summer for some macro images taken with my Tamron 90mm f/2.8 non d.i. 1:1 macro lens, and the results were rather nice! I also had a little play with one at a local camera store on the weekend which happens to be selling one for $2,100 + tax. It's missing the eyepiece and the cover for the remote switch, but other than that it's in very nice shape. Unfortunately I don't have enough saved up right now. I asked the salesman to take a photo of me with the Canon 85mm f/1.2L II lens, and OMFG talk about CRISP!!

Video isn't a factor as I'm not into shooting video, so as you said, while the 5D III has a few more bells & whistles, and much better high ISO capabilities, for the type of shooting I do 80% of the time, the 1Ds Mk III would seem to fit my needs rather nicely.

It's too bad a person couldn't have a higher resolution rear LCD installed into/onto a 1Ds Mk III. That would be pretty cool if you could. Esp to aid in liveview focusing.

I guess I could live without the 10 FPS but it just sounds so friggin' cool!!

Jan 28, 2013 at 06:24 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

Until you put it beside the 1DX at 12fps.

All the 1D non-s cameras prior to the X have a bit of a springy 'bits of loose pieces jumping around' sound to them. The X *sounds* like it's put together an order of magnitude better.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Killergoalie
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

rscheffler wrote:
Until you put it beside the 1DX at 12fps.

All the 1D non-s cameras prior to the X have a bit of a springy 'bits of loose pieces jumping around' sound to them. The X *sounds* like it's put together an order of magnitude better.

Oh I know. I had a chance to "play with" a 1Dx a few months ago, and I think the word that best describes it...esp the 12 FPS is ORGASMIC!!

If I had the shackles, the choice would be easy. But since I don't, it's between the 1Ds Mk III, and the 1D Mk IV.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Reckless

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

Yes at some point paying the rent/mortgage comes into the dream and you realize you have a budget.
When I started looking for a "1" body 9 months ago a D3 was $1600, a D4 was $3600 and a Ds3 was $3200. Things have come down a lot since then with the Ds3 suffering the most from what I can see as the 5D3 and the 1Dx have raised the bar and put all those cameras one generation behind.
That's my challenge now is that the Ds3 has become affordable and I don't know how often I will use 10 FPS but I know I will always appreciate the pixels.
Good lenses on the other hand haven't moved a cent and I don't expect them to.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:46 AM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

Ah yes, budget = the great equalizer. To follow up on my earlier (fearless) prediction that I'd be buying both a used 6D and 1DIV for $4000 this year, the colour of the sky in my world is Purple Haze (thank you Mr. Hendrix). I stand by the price points (fingers crossed) but I'm a dead man if my wife ever gets wind of my plan!

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Killergoalie
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

I'm still torn between the 1Ds Mk III and the 1D Mk IV. While I love the full frame sensor of the 1Ds Mk III and the improved D.O.F. will be great for macro shots, and the 21 MP sensor of course, the Mark IV's low light capability, newer technology, 10 FPS (if I ever need it is nice to have available) plus extra "reach" are nice features to have as well.

I don't really plan on using high ISO's very often, but it's nice to know that I wouldn't have to worry, or cross my fingers, or have to do a $h!tload of post processing if I decide to shoot @ ISO 3200 (or slightly higher even).

I might have to rent a1D Mk IV, MP-E 65 and MT-24EX Flash unit to see how well that combo works together. Esp for focus stacked images of subjects such as bees, and dewdrop refractions.

I'd hate to have to spend the $500 it would cost me to rent that equipment for 4 days, but I might have no other choice but to do so.

Decisions decisions decisions!!!

Jan 29, 2013 at 04:06 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

OK. (as much on topic as anything photographic )

In order of listening (so far, I haven't even hit the vinyl yet).

Aqualung
Blunderbuss
Shields
Abraxis
Texas Flood

...and counting...

Feb 01, 2013 at 08:31 PM
jakita33
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

Sort of on topic - i bought a Mark IV less than a year ago and forgot to ask the magic question - who many clicks? Recently purchased the 5D III and was going to sell my Mark IV. I have put less than 10k clicks on it since purchasing. Ran EOSCount - 109k. I felt like I got punched in the gut. Also felt like an idiot for paying the going price for a camera with that many clicks. The camera works amazingly well and I have never had a single problem but now I know I will have to discount. What do you think it is worth?

Edited on Feb 01, 2013 at 11:49 PM · View previous versions

Feb 01, 2013 at 09:21 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

109k? It's just getting warmed up! No worries.

What's it worth? Can't say. I do lenses.

Feb 01, 2013 at 09:24 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

109k is nothing. so I don't understand you felt like you got punched in the gut. A camera made for sport, bird, wildlife and other fast action will normally have this kind of clicks and often a lot more. When people buy cameras that takes 10 pics a second there will be a few clicks on it. And it's built to last a lot longer than that. The price should be nearly the same as if it had 25 or 50k clicks, if everything else is in good shape. It's not like the price goes down with a couple of percent for every 10k of clicks it have (compared to another used body as old as yours)

Feb 01, 2013 at 09:39 PM
jakita33
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

Sounds good to me! It really is a great camera. A punch may have been a bit hyperbolic. But when you are expect 50k clicks and it says 109k it is slightly surprising ; )

Feb 01, 2013 at 09:59 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

P.S. as far as we`ve seen, EOScount doesnt seem to work reliably for 1DIV and III cameras.

Feb 01, 2013 at 10:08 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

jakita33 wrote:
A punch may have been a bit hyperbolic.
`

You`ve been reading too many of Rob`s posts.

Feb 01, 2013 at 10:08 PM
jakita33
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

What does work reliably?

Feb 01, 2013 at 10:10 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

jakita33 wrote:
What does work reliably?

Canon service.

Feb 01, 2013 at 10:11 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.