Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

onegreatcity
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

Just a casual observation, but are there a lot more Canon 1DIVs for sale than usual right now? There seems to be an increasing number appearing on the b & s board and I wonder what market forces are at play.

Are these sellers upgrading and, if so, is the 1Dx the natural progression or is the 5D3 proving itself a capable replacement? Are 1DIV owners naturally at a 'refresh point' for their gear? Is replacement a scheduled event for those owners who have had the MKIV for years? This routine no doubt helps when trying to recoup as much as possible in the resale market.

The namesake of this very forum has his 1DIV for sale and recently posted landscape shots take with a 6D (this could be a red herring; Fred perhaps never used his 1DIV for landscapes!)

As someone who recently parted with a 1DIII, I often envisioned an upgrade to the MKIV but the temptation to go full frame is strong so I remain firmly on the fence.

The obvious effect is that pricing will go down but in the spirit of speculation, how far and how fast?

Jan 27, 2013 at 08:18 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

My main cameras right now are a 1DX and a 1DIV. The 1DX is so darn good that I'm pretty sure that I'd like to sell the 1DIV and get a second 1DX. Unfortunately, I can't get enough money from selling the 1DIV to pay for a second 1DX. Besides, the 1DIV is OK...

I sold my 1DsIII to help pay for my first 1DX. My two main goals were to maintain a 1D-series FF body and also get high fps that I could use alongside my 1DIV for fast action photography. The 1DX does that quite well, thank you very much.

It's possible that 1DIV shooters are now convinced that the 1DX AF advantage* offsets the 1DIV's pixel-per-duck advantage, and so they're going for it.

* not to mention high ISO.

The obvious effect is that pricing will go down but in the spirit of speculation, how far and how fast?

The price for a used 1DX will start to fall in a couple of years, after the 1DXII is announced. If you don't need high fps, the 5DIII sounds pretty nice. If you don't need SOTA autofocus, the 6D sounds pretty nice. I'm just sayin'...

edit: see Oops!

Edited on Jan 27, 2013 at 08:49 PM · View previous versions

Jan 27, 2013 at 08:26 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

jcolwell wrote:
The 1DX is so darn good that I'm pretty sure that I'd like to sell the 1DIV and get a second 1DIV.

? Que ?

Jan 27, 2013 at 08:41 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

PetKal wrote:
? Que ?

Oops! That should be "a second 1DX".

Jan 27, 2013 at 08:49 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

jcolwell wrote:
Oops! That should be .

In that case I'd wait for 1DXs.........higher pixel density, (-3EV) AF, better active AF point illumination etc..

Jan 27, 2013 at 09:06 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

PetKal wrote:
In that case I'd wait for 1DXs.........higher pixel density, (-3EV) AF, better active AF point illumination etc..

Yes, but will it do 10 to 12 fps?

Jan 27, 2013 at 09:07 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

jcolwell wrote:
Yes, but will it do 10 to 12 fps?

Probably not, but hey, 6-8 FPS is not chopped liver either.

Jan 27, 2013 at 09:08 PM
adamx12m

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

I think the 1D IV still holds up pretty well to the recent 3 FF cameras until an extreme threshold is hit. The 1DX is the obvious upgrade path IMO but best time to buy has been early in the product cycle.

Google trends past 30 days for keywords, canon 5d, canon 1dx, canon 6d. Looks to me like people looking for the cheaper FF models.

Jan 27, 2013 at 09:48 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

I agree, the 1DIV holds up very well.

OTOH, trends with respect to "cheaper FF models" is a statistic that's not relevant to a discussion on 1D-series bodies. YMMV.

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:06 PM
convergent
• • •
p.1 #10 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

I think its just part of the natural progression of DSLR bodies. If anything the 1D4 is holding its value way higher than its recent predecessors 1D2N, 1D3, due to the fact that Canon eliminated the $4,500 category and brought a replacement that cost $2K more. That has kept a lot of people shooting with the 1D4, held its price high, and prompted a lot of people to probably look hard at the 5D3. When I sold my 1D3 to upgrade, I was not able to justify the jump to a 1DX, but looked solidly at both the 5D3 and a used 1D4. My opinion is had the 1D4 been replaced by a 1.3 crop body at the $4500 price, we'd see 1D4 used prices of $2200-2500 now instead of $2900-3300. They may actually just stay there unless the 7D follow-on does something magical to fill the void. I'm kind of hoping Canon takes the 1D4 guts and puts it in a 5D3 body and calls it a 3D for around $3500, with a street price of about $3K.

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ggreene
• • •
p.1 #11 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

I upgraded to a 1DX from a 1D4 and had initially decided to keep both but the $7K was a stretch for me so I sold the 1D4 while I could get a good price for it. I do miss it for field sports in daylight as that is where the 1D4 shines as I am FL limited. Above 2000 ISO though and the advantage goes to the 1DX.

I can see 1D4 used prices dropping as more info comes out about the 7D2. That looks to be Canon's pseudo replacement for it.

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:33 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

I plan on selling both mine when I get 2 1DX's.

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:12 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

RobertLynn wrote:
I plan on selling both mine when I get 2 1DX's.

The cash flow is better if you sell them first. Not that I've ever done that...

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:26 AM
onegreatcity
• • •
p.1 #14 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

convergent wrote:
I think its just part of the natural progression of DSLR bodies. If anything the 1D4 is holding its value way higher than its recent predecessors 1D2N, 1D3, due to the fact that Canon eliminated the $4,500 category and brought a replacement that cost $2K more. That has kept a lot of people shooting with the 1D4, held its price high, and prompted a lot of people to probably look hard at the 5D3. When I sold my 1D3 to upgrade, I was not able to justify the jump to a 1DX, but looked solidly at both the 5D3 and
...Show more

This seems insightful to me, the significance of price premium for the 1DX combined with the 1DIV being the last APS-H (that we know of) so maybe people are inclined to hold them a bit longer. I'm likely on my own planet here but I foresee a day this calendar year when I could pick up a lightly used 6D for $1500 and 1DIV for $2500. $4k for two bodies that would see me through almost any scenario. Crazy?

Jan 28, 2013 at 03:45 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

onegreatcity wrote:
...I foresee a day this calendar year when I could pick up a lightly used 6D for $1500 and 1DIV for $2500. $4k for two bodies that would see me through almost any scenario. Crazy?

Time will tell.

Jan 28, 2013 at 04:16 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

jcolwell wrote:
Time will tell.

That's an insightful answer, Jim....real "crazy" seldom gets better with a passage of time.

Jan 28, 2013 at 04:39 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

PetKal wrote:
That's an insightful answer, Jim....

Thanks. I do what I can. As we all do.

PetKal wrote:
...real "crazy" seldom gets better with a passage of time.

That depends on how much time you have to give it...

As my dog Ollie says, "all things must pass".

Jan 28, 2013 at 04:44 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

OTOH, as Ian and the rest of the Jethro Tull gang says, "it's up to me".

Jan 28, 2013 at 04:46 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

jcolwell wrote:
Thanks. I do what I can. As we all do.

That depends on how much time you have to give it...

As my dog Ollie says, "all things must pass".

Hmmmm.

Jan 28, 2013 at 04:47 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · Used 1DIV Values - Cause & Effect?

jcolwell wrote:
OTOH, as Ian and the rest of the Jethro Tull gang says, "it's up to me".

Good Lord........haven't heard anyone mention them in decades.

Jan 28, 2013 at 04:51 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password