Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2013 · 6D and Optical Remote Flash?
  
 
markshelby
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 6D and Optical Remote Flash?


I was trying to trigger my Canon 580 remotely with a third-party ST-E2 clone transmitter on my 6D. The metering pre-flash would fire, but the actual flash either would not fire or was too underexposed to see/register. I tried a bunch of things to get it to work, but wasn't able to.

The same setup used to function properly on my 5D2.

Has anyone experienced this issue? I'm wondering if it's the vagaries of using a third-party accessory, or an issue with the 6D, or user malfunction somehow.

Thanks in advance.



Jan 27, 2013 at 08:11 PM
RobDickinson
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 6D and Optical Remote Flash?


I think someone else has already found theur 3rd party st-e2 clone didnt work too.


Jan 27, 2013 at 08:19 PM
BrianO
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 6D and Optical Remote Flash?


markshelby wrote:
...The metering pre-flash would fire, but the actual flash either would not fire or was too underexposed to see/register. I tried a bunch of things to get it to work, but wasn't able to.


What shutter speed were you using? Third party accessories often won't work reliably at or near the max sync speed. 1/125 or 1/60 may work.

Also, to test if the exposure flash is actually firing you can set a long shutter speed and rear-curtain sync; that way there's a long delay between the preflashes and the exposure flash, making it easier to see.



Jan 28, 2013 at 05:30 AM
cgardner
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 6D and Optical Remote Flash?


How do you have the 580ex set?

You might try "dumb" manual mode on the 580ex. Put the switch into Slave mode and press the mode button for 2 sec. until the M indicator blinks. A Canon ST-E2 should then fire it main exposure only manually (no metering pre-flashes). You need to set power manually on the 580ex in that mode.




Jan 28, 2013 at 08:30 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Ian.Dobinson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 6D and Optical Remote Flash?


cgardner wrote:
How do you have the 580ex set?

You might try "dumb" manual mode on the 580ex. Put the switch into Slave mode and press the mode button for 2 sec. until the M indicator blinks. A Canon ST-E2 should then fire it main exposure only manually (no metering pre-flashes). You need to set power manually on the 580ex in that mode.



Chuck the OP is not using the real ST-E2 but a 3rd party version (pressumably the Yunguno?)

there is another thread that says this unit does not work with the 6D
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1182369/0?keyword=6D#11272689

it seems the 6D has reached a new height of pickiness when it comes to 3rd party stuff.
Its already been mentioned a few times that it does not like clone LP-e6 batteries that are fine in other bodies (even the 5D3)
Ive not seen it mentioned but one has to assume that if the ST-e2 copy does not work then probably other 3rd party flashes may not work either (remember when the 5D2 came out and lots of guns like the Rd2000 would not work)




Jan 28, 2013 at 10:05 PM
CW100
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 6D and Optical Remote Flash?


Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Chuck the OP is not using the real ST-E2 but a 3rd party version (pressumably the Yunguno?)

there is another thread that says this unit does not work with the 6D
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1182369/0?keyword=6D#11272689

it seems the 6D has reached a new height of pickiness when it comes to 3rd party stuff.
Its already been mentioned a few times that it does not like clone LP-e6 batteries that are fine in other bodies (even the 5D3)
Ive not seen it mentioned but one has to assume that if the ST-e2 copy does not work then probably other 3rd party flashes may not work either
...Show more

a poster in that thread said the Yongnuo 622c triggers works with the 6D
third-party ST-E2 clone ?






Jan 29, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Ian.Dobinson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 6D and Optical Remote Flash?


CW100 wrote:
a poster in that thread said the Yongnuo 622c triggers works with the 6D
third-party ST-E2 clone ?



The 622 is radio , the OP (I think ) is talking about the the optical setup.

St-e2 clone
http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detail.php?ID=277


622 trigger
http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detail.php?ID=305



Jan 29, 2013 at 12:08 PM
markshelby
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 6D and Optical Remote Flash?


Thanks, this is all very helpful information.

I'll try the "dumb" mode, but I'm not sure it will work for my purposes (performance photography).



Feb 21, 2013 at 09:25 PM





FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password