Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Archive 2013 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

Daniel Smith
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

Waiting on Canon to produce a body with the ultimate image quality of the Nikon D800e.

Tripod mounted with prime lenses is the use.

Come on Canon, Nikon has been beating you lately.

The D800 and D800e are excellent and tho slow frame rate - if you shoot the crop mode lenses you still get a 15MB file size and faster frame rate. Very acceptable for a lot of sports photography. Your answer - the 5DMkIII is underwhelming.

The D600 wipes out the 6D in most ways. Many of us don't need gimmicks like wifi or GPS. We want higher quality images.

When will you guys respond to Nikon with much higher quality sensors?

Jan 27, 2013 at 04:34 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

If you are satisfied with your Nikon gear, why are you bothering to ask Canon to match? Are you on the correct forum? Most people here are pretty happy with Canon gear, and waiting for the next round of developments -- most have hardly digested the glut of new products released last year!

Why don't you try to buy a used Nikon full frame or pro APS-H body for under $1000 (or under $600!)? Let me know how that goes for you.

Jan 27, 2013 at 04:52 PM
Ektar25
• • •
p.1 #3 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

When will Nikon answer Canon on lenses?

Jan 27, 2013 at 04:52 PM
Daniel Smith
• •
p.1 #4 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

zorro, your assumptions are incorrect.

Jan 27, 2013 at 04:59 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

Don't feed the troll.

Jan 27, 2013 at 05:00 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

Daniel Smith wrote:
Waiting on Canon to produce a body with the ultimate image quality of the Nikon D800e.

The D800 and D800e are excellent and tho slow frame rate - if you shoot the crop mode lenses you still get a 15MB file size and faster frame rate. Very acceptable for a lot of sports photography. Your answer - the 5DMkIII is underwhelming.

The D600 wipes out the 6D in most ways. Many of us don't need gimmicks like wifi or GPS. We want higher quality images.

When will
...Show more

Jan 27, 2013 at 05:01 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

My assumption that you are inclined toward the new Nikon FF products?

Or that Nikon has a plethora of large sensor cameras (a decade of production) available at bargain prices, capable of taking quality photos on any budget?

Jan 27, 2013 at 05:02 PM
time2clmb
• •
p.1 #8 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

Post photos using 4 different cameras, 2 from Canon, 2 from Nikon. I'd put my money on you not being able to tell which one was shot with which camera. The differences are pretty small these days to the point of totally nit picking. When did photography become all about the gear? Rediculous.

Jan 27, 2013 at 05:06 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

Daniel Smith wrote:
When will you guys respond to Nikon with much higher quality sensors?

Well I guess you should have sent this to Canon, instead of trolling here.

Jan 27, 2013 at 05:06 PM
jstntym
• •
p.1 #10 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

kewlcanon wrote:
Don't feed the troll.

+1

Jan 27, 2013 at 05:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

I wouldn't say Daniel is a troll. He's used Canon, and owned at least some 1D2 bodies apparently.

I can see that he's jonesing over the nice looking Nikon bodies. I understand.

It's just a rather poor opening and and the topic seems to have been covered plenty since Nikon tweaked Canon's nose a bit with their unexpected offerings at impressive prices.

But Daniel, it's be done to death. Maybe it's new to you, but you can search threads here and dig up plenty of similar discussion.

Jan 27, 2013 at 05:26 PM
XsigmaSD
• •
p.1 #12 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

Gunzorro wrote:
I wouldn't say Daniel is a troll.

I'm sorry, but lines like this...

Daniel Smith wrote:

...are just plain, good old fashion, trolling. Neither camera, or any contemporary digital camera from either manufacturer for that matter, "Wipes out" anything. The differences between like models are minuscule at best these days, and comments like this are merely interjected to show us his obvious superiority and discerning taste. Funny, he doesn't list a single specific.. what gear is he using that is so inadequate, what subject he's shooting that are so under served by his current gear, or what fantastic creative vision is going unrealized by the woefully inadequate Canon gear.

ZZZz.. back to my Sunday nap.

Jan 27, 2013 at 05:36 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

time2clmb wrote:
Post photos using 4 different cameras, 2 from Canon, 2 from Nikon. I'd put my money on you not being able to tell which one was shot with which camera. The differences are pretty small these days to the point of totally nit picking. When did photography become all about the gear? Rediculous.

Posting a jpeg reduced to a small size...yes I agree with you. But who buys a D800 to post images on the net? Print a large detailed landscape, one shot with the D800 and the other with a 5d3 and I can tell them apart. Been there, done that. I too am awaiting Canon's high mpix better DR camera.

Jan 27, 2013 at 05:37 PM
outlawyer
• • •
p.1 #14 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

time2clmb wrote:

That would be easy enough. Pics where people look like corpses would be Nikon.

Jan 27, 2013 at 05:41 PM
Steve Torelli
• • •
p.1 #15 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

"Post photos using 4 different cameras, 2 from Canon, 2 from Nikon. I'd put my money on you not being able to tell which one was shot with which camera. The differences are pretty small these days to the point of totally nit picking. When did photography become all about the gear? Rediculous."

+10

Jan 27, 2013 at 05:44 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

time2clmb wrote:

-1 Spelling.

+1 potential real-world applicability

-1 strawman argument because of web-posting comparison

------------

That said, there are some scenarios I think would exhibit the differences. Print a large landscape from the 800E vs the 5D3, where the shot required some lifting of shadows. I'm betting the Nikon's print will exhibit superior quality, assuming equal glass quality mounted on each.

Whether that matters to anyone or not is up to how they shoot.

For me at least, when I reenter the DSLR world it'll be Canon - Nikon's lens lineup doesn't do it for me.

Don't get me wrong, though - I'd love to have a 5D3 with a Sony sensor for the DR/read noise and a popup flash for a commander, as long as it wouldn't interfere with the TS-E lenses or VF size/accuracy.

Jan 27, 2013 at 05:51 PM
Steve Torelli
• • •
p.1 #17 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

"When is Canon, or Nikon, take your pick, gonna build a camera that will make me into the greatest photographer in the world?"
The answer to that question, of course, is never.
Good equipment is important, I shot with Pentax (film), Canon and now Nikon. Great systems all. Canon and Nikon do things a little differently but I've never owned a camera that held me back or wasn't a better photographic tool than I am.
We're fascinated by the gear as any kind of photography requires it. But being overwhelmed by it to the point that the gear is more important to you than the results of your own efforts is a mistake.
Anything Canon or Nikon makes is better than you are. Stop worrying about what's next.
Good luck, Steve

Jan 27, 2013 at 05:58 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

Daniel Smith wrote:

When will
...Show more

Assuming they started a couple of years ago, I'd say 2014. They have to figure out where to intersect the curve of advancement. If you recall Nikon was in bad shape with sensors in the early 2000s and it took about 3-4 years to improve them.

EBH

Jan 27, 2013 at 06:00 PM
Photorph

p.1 #19 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

Nikon beating canon lately It's the quite the opposite. You must not be aware of all the issues nikon is having.

Their d600 has oil issues and they still haven't acknowledged those or found a fix for it...you just deal with it.

Their d800 also had multiple issues with certain AF points. I mean it's sad when in the Nikon forum there is a thread saying "no whine d800 photos" or something along those lines.

Their D4 is inferior in the 1dx in every way possible, see recent threads there (one of them started by me).

Their 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 lenses are not as good as canon's current versions. Their primes are slower focusing, and they have no 1.2 AF primes yet.

Nikon has issues with green tint on their LCDs, and in general their files are lacking the amazing skin tones that the new canons (mainly mark iii and 1dx) give.

So I totally disagree with you. It used to be that after the D3 and d700 came out Nikon went a step ahead of canon. But the tables have turned now, and canon is ahead in my personal opinion.

All that being said you should never switch systems because of A generation of cameras or lenses (unless you don't mind losing money and you feel that the slight benefits of something in particular helps you). Talking specifically about the d800e, it is slow, sluggish, and has nothing going for it but resolution. If you are strictly a landscape or studio photographer, and you can't wait for canon to release their big MP body...then perhaps d800e is the way to go. However in every other way, the canon full frame equivalent mark iii is a much better and balanced camera.

Jan 27, 2013 at 06:05 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #20 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

Daniel Smith wrote:

When will
...Show more

This is old news. The answer is they can't because they don't have the sensor tech. By the time they figure something out Nikon will have leap frogged them again...

Jan 27, 2013 at 06:07 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password