Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Hi : ) !!! - Unifying colors?

igmolinav
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hi : ) !!! - Unifying colors?

Hi,

Is it a hassle to "unify" colors everytime you make pictures taken with different lenses?

Thank you, kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

P.S. What program do you use? At the moment I only have one lens. I am thinking
about getting another one : ) !!!

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:15 PM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hi : ) !!! - Unifying colors?

If you mean compensate (color balance) between multiple lenses, I can't say I've ever read anyone bothering to do that. If you insist though, you'd want to look into the XRite 'Passport' and make a color profile for the lens/camera combo and use that profile in Lightroom or Photoshop. A huge waste of time, money and brain cells though.

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:52 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hi : ) !!! - Unifying colors?

Often the differences aren't so much color but contrast due to more or less internal flare and reflection of light (with color tint) off the sensor >back element of the lens > back to sensor when wide apertures are used in bright light. Even profiling each lens separately wouldn't eliminate variables like that which is why as howardm4 said it's a waste of time, practically speaking.

In PP the place where you'd want to adjust color selectively is the camera profile tab in ACR. That's where you'd apply a custom camera profile if you make one by shooting a color chart.

As an experiment to see how it works just shoot a color chart with "neutral" style set in camera then select the different styles from the menu on the camera profile tab while viewing it. You will see the colors shift around but the neutral patches on the target and scene content will not change. In addition to the styles the color can be selectively tweeked with the sliders without an overall temp/tint shift in the neutral content. Once you find a look you like save it as a preset and all the other files opening in ACR will be display with it until you change it. Thus if you are seeing consistent shifts between lenses you could create a "custom recipe" here for each lens then apply it to all the other files

In situations where you have consistent lighting, such as studio flash with the same modifers all the time profiling each lens might be worth the effort, but even then unless doing something like shooting for a clothing catalog where color match to garment is critical in the photos or reproducing artwork exact match isn't usually needed because the process of seeing color by eye is so adaptive.

In practical terms a simpler way to eliminate lens-to-lens variation in color in more general shooting would be to use a zoom lens instead.

What I do is shoot from a baseline of Neutral style in camera, then using the ACR camera profile screen find what looks best for that subject. That varies with subject. My goal isn't a technical match of color lens-to-lens or photo, but max. emotional impact from what color adds to the mood of the photo and reaction of the viewer. Isn't that the real goal of the exercise?

Jan 27, 2013 at 01:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hi : ) !!! - Unifying colors?

igmolinav wrote:
Hi,

Is it a hassle to "unify" colors everytime you make pictures taken with different lenses?

Yes,
if the two in question produce noticeable differences and you need or want to match them.

P.S. What program do you use? At the moment I only have one lens. I am thinking
about getting another one : ) !!!

Photoshop.

Jan 27, 2013 at 04:49 PM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hi : ) !!! - Unifying colors?

As was said above, it is not something that needs to be done.

Jan 29, 2013 at 02:40 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hi : ) !!! - Unifying colors?

There are enough other things to worry about without worrying about "unifying" your images. Hell, if you shoot one image in the morning and one in the afternoon with the same lens, the color rendition will be different. Would you "unify" that difference? Nah. Just go out and shoot.

Jan 29, 2013 at 08:32 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password