Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Hi : ) !!! Leica 60 mm. and Zeiss 50 mm. - your comments,...

phuang3
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Hi : ) !!! Leica 60 mm. and Zeiss 50 mm. - your comments, a couple questions

alwang wrote:
The Leica 60 is my favorite out of all the lenses I own. To me, it has a very unique look, and if I could identify any other Leica lenses that draw like it, I'd be a lot poorer right now. When people describe the Leica look as 'painterly', I don't always see it, but I absolutely see it with the 60: something about the images just look slightly less real, in a very beautiful way. It's a particularly unusual look among macros, which mostly seem designed to be cool and clinical.

+1
I had both Leica 60 Elmarit and ZF50 MP. Most of the time I bring Leica with me. You are right. It is unique!
However, ZF 50MP is sharper and with lighter color rendition, perhaps a sign of higher optical correction.

Mar 01, 2013 at 03:19 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Hi : ) !!! Leica 60 mm. and Zeiss 50 mm. - your comments, a couple questions

Erwin Puts is on record as saying the R60/2.8 is a great allround lens, its charts certainly bears this out. "If you are looking for a standard lens that delivers superior performance at medium apertures and distances, then the Macro-Elmarit-R is first choice." Another great low aberration slow lens, yes!

There is a reason many mature photographers prefer slow lenses, here is a quote from Puts some might enjoy, others maybe not so much:

"When the maximum aperture is quite large, say f/2 or f/1.4, it is no longer a simple task to get good quality in the center...Now we will encounter new types of aberrations like astigmatism and coma that are quite difficult to correct. And some of these aberrations will, depending on image height and entrance angle, increase disproportionally in magnitude. As an example we may use spherical aberration.

If we increase the aperture from f/2.8 to f/1.4, the magnitude of error increases ninefold."

The beauty is this one is still affordable, thanks in no small part to its slow lens speed

Mar 01, 2013 at 06:42 AM
lithos

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Hi : ) !!! Leica 60 mm. and Zeiss 50 mm. - your comments, a couple questions

The post I needed!
I was tempted by a summicron-r 50 to use both on canon 5d and fuji x pro.
But I was considering also 3D pop performance of zeiss MP 50, the painterly look of leica elmarit and the optical perfomance of the fuji 60 2.4 (of course limited to x-pro use).
I do not need to use it in low light, on the contrary, I ask you: which is better at infinity / long distances for landscape use?

Mar 01, 2013 at 08:56 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Hi : ) !!! Leica 60 mm. and Zeiss 50 mm. - your comments, a couple questions

The 50MP doesn't have much 3D pop; that is the 50P.

Mar 01, 2013 at 09:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Svenning

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Hi : ) !!! Leica 60 mm. and Zeiss 50 mm. - your comments, a couple questions

Mount a Leica 60 mm Macro-Elmarit f/2.8 on a Canon full-frame digital camera and use the live-view to pin-point the focus. Stop-down to about f/8 and you will get absolut wonderfull colours out of your close-up pictures. Out of my 6 Leica lenses - the 60mm Macro-Elmarit is the lens which requires the least corrections to the pictures afterwards. I can recommend that you purchase the Leica 60 mm Macro-Elmarit f/2.8.

Mar 01, 2013 at 11:36 AM
igmolinav
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Hi : ) !!! Leica 60 mm. and Zeiss 50 mm. - your comments, a couple questions

Hi,

Thank you for your posts : ) !!!

philip_pj wrote:
I'll ban myself from further 50P comment before carsten has me lynched, but will content myself by saying firstly, it would be great to own all these as they are so very different and good in their own ways. Second, the Leica, any Leica, will do a better job of portraits than the 50MP.

Thank you for your message : ) !!! I like what you say with regard to the 60 mm. macro lens
and how you compare it to the 50 MP.
I am also interested in getting a lens from Hasselblad, a 50 mm. It is a very early model. I comment about
it on a thread here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1185853/0#11381187
As you suggest, I'll look on older threads here in FM!

alwang wrote:
The Leica 60 is my favorite out of all the lenses I own. To me, it has a very unique look, and if I could identify any other Leica lenses that draw like it, I'd be a lot poorer right now.

When people describe the Leica look as 'painterly', I don't always see it, but I absolutely see it with the 60: something about the images just look slightly less real, in a very beautiful way.

It's a particularly unusual look among macros, which mostly seem designed to be cool and clinical.

+1
The pictures are very nice! I feel everytime more,
and more inclined to get it : ) !!!

Kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

Mar 01, 2013 at 07:58 PM
igmolinav
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Hi : ) !!! Leica 60 mm. and Zeiss 50 mm. - your comments, a couple questions

Hi,

Thank you again for your posts : ) !!!

quote]philip_pj wrote:
Erwin Puts is on record as saying the R60/2.8 is a great allround lens, its charts certainly bears this out. "If you are looking for a standard lens that delivers superior performance at medium apertures and distances, then the Macro-Elmarit-R is first choice." Another great low aberration slow lens, yes!

There is a reason many mature photographers prefer slow lenses, here is a quote from Puts some might enjoy, others maybe not so much:

"When the maximum aperture is quite large, say f/2 or f/1.4, it is no longer a simple task to get
...Show more
I like what you say. I'll be using the lens mostly between f/4 and f/11, excluding f/8 because
of the aforementioned diffraction at f/8.

Svenning wrote:
Mount a Leica 60 mm Macro-Elmarit f/2.8 on a Canon full-frame digital camera and use the live-view to pin-point the focus. Stop-down to about f/8 and you will get absolut wonderfull colours out of your close-up pictures. Out of my 6 Leica lenses - the 60mm Macro-Elmarit is the lens which requires the least corrections to the pictures afterwards. I can recommend that you purchase the Leica 60 mm Macro-Elmarit f/2.8.

With your comment comes one more vote of trust for this lens ; ) !!!
I wonder if focusing with a D600 or D800 from Nikon will be
relatively easy as with the Canon DSLR.

Kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

Mar 01, 2013 at 08:22 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password