Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Got three 600's canon speedlinght. What do u suggest for...

skasol
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Got three 600's canon speedlinght. What do u suggest for background.

I have been shooting portrait for a while. Mainly outdoors as I don't have a studio and I am barely this year venturing into taking my hobby pro. What would u suggest me to buy for background portability is important but not 100% necessary. I want to get those nice background that I see from many of you pros. I heard of seamless paper etc. thank u in advance.

Jan 27, 2013 at 05:39 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Got three 600's canon speedlinght. What do u suggest for background.

There's nothing wrong with using natural/existing backgrounds for portraits, and in fact "environmental portraiture" is a major style.

However, if you do want to use artificial backgrounds then seamless paper is a moderately-priced way to go. You can use narrow rolls for head shots, or wide rolls for both individuals and small groups/families.

The variety is endless, so you just need to look through a catalog or online to find one that you like.

You'll also need a support system. Background stands with cross bars are common, or if you have a dedicated studio space you can use wall-mounted racks.

For portability, you can get disk-type backgrounds that hang from a single stand, or other small portable backdrops. They are suitable for head shots and head-and-shoulders portraits.

Here's a link to Denny Manufacturing, a major supplier of backgrounds ranging from paper through lightweight fabric to heavy canvas and more:

http://www.dennymfg.com/

Here's one source of collapsable portable BGs:

http://www.photographicbackdrop.com/collapsible-backgrounds-s/1862.htm

HTH

Jan 27, 2013 at 06:01 AM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Got three 600's canon speedlinght. What do u suggest for background.

Thank u very much for your feedback.

Jan 27, 2013 at 08:48 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Got three 600's canon speedlinght. What do u suggest for background.

One of the reasons I traded up from manual Vivitars to Canon 580ex was to be able to blur distracting outdoor backgrounds by using High Speed Sync w. wide apertures when shooting portraits.

Indoors in my home studio I bought 10ft wide muslin and black king flat sheets to use as backgrounds and draping for creating / preventing "spill fill". I also hand painted a brown background on a length of muslin in my driveway. It's pretty simple, like creating faux stone texture on a wall. I did it with a rough surface roller and 4" brush for feathering with $5/gallon paint from the "returns" pile at Home Depot. I roll the backgrounds on 2" OD PVC pipe and hang on shelf brackets. Not the most convenient arrangement and not really recommended but works for me because I don't shoot studio portraits and change backgrounds very often. Details in the DIY section on my web site: http://photo.nova.org

For portablity the "pop-out" style by Lasolite and others are a treat... once you find the YouTube video and learn how to fold them back into the case. I don't own one but have used them on occasion.

Years ago I learned from a pro who did all his portraits by window light using a hand painted roll-up 8' wide linen window shade. It was hung on a board which was supported by one heavy duty light stand in the middle which allowed it to be rotated around the subject. See the illustrations in my window light tutorial to visualize how it works. It was very clever way to "travel light" because only one stand is needed and an approach you might consider for hanging a small canvas background on location.

But all things considered the pop-outs are the best option on location logistically.

Jan 27, 2013 at 01:04 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Got three 600's canon speedlinght. What do u suggest for background.

Thank u. I don't have the luxury of being able to spare a room for a studio in my 1 bedroom apt. Maybe when I buy a house I will look for that option to have an extra room for studio.

Jan 27, 2013 at 03:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

MLK-FM

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Got three 600's canon speedlinght. What do u suggest for background.

Checkout the Botero 5X7 collapsible backgrounds available at B&H. They are good for head & shoulder/torso shots and come in a multitude of patterns. I have the 023, dark grey, and with a colored filter over the background flash lens I can make the background any color. These don't need any stands; just prop up against a wall. They are very portable; collapse down to a 2ft circle.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/303021-REG/Botero_C02357_023_Collapsible_Background_5x7.html

Jan 27, 2013 at 07:03 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Got three 600's canon speedlinght. What do u suggest for background.

Thank u very much. Will look into it.

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:12 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Got three 600's canon speedlinght. What do u suggest for background.

skasol wrote:
Thank u. I don't have the luxury of being able to spare a room for a studio in my 1 bedroom apt. Maybe when I buy a house I will look for that option to have an extra room for studio.

I hear you. It took me about 30 years until I had space. I spent half of them overseas in assigned quarters and the other half in places without the space waiting for the next overseas assignment. The only reason I finally bought a set of studio lights was nearing retirement and finally having a house with the space to keep them set up all the time. If I wanted to do portraits for hire I'd be more motivated, but as a hobbyist I'm too lazy to keep tearing down and setting them up for the 3-4 times a year I use them. I still shoot mostly with natural light and speedlights, except for posed portraits indoors.

When I got the lights I found my camera wasn't up to the task of studio portraits and upgraded it and bought new lenses. In retrospect not having the space probably would have saved me about $10,000 so count your blessings and be careful what you wish for.

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:38 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Got three 600's canon speedlinght. What do u suggest for background.

cgardner wrote:
I hear you. It took me about 30 years until I had space. I spent half of them overseas in assigned quarters and the other half in places without the space waiting for the next overseas assignment. The only reason I finally bought a set of studio lights was nearing retirement and finally having a house with the space to keep them set up all the time. If I wanted to do portraits for hire I'd be more motivated, but as a hobbyist I'm too lazy to keep tearing down and setting them up for the 3-4 times a year
...Show more

Thank you. Now trying to figure how to use the umbrellas and light together outdoor.

any suggestions?

Feb 19, 2013 at 08:41 PM
Jim Cowsert
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Got three 600's canon speedlinght. What do u suggest for background.

I use this set up for all my headshots and simple one or two person portraits. Very portable, lightweight, and easy to set up.
http://fjwestcott.com/product-category/photo-basics/photo-basics-backdrops/x-drop-backdrops/

Feb 20, 2013 at 02:07 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password