Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · MJHL Hockey Canon 5D

poolek
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · MJHL Hockey Canon 5D

First try with the 5D Mark III for hockey.
C&C Welcome.

Edited on Jan 30, 2013 at 11:09 AM · View previous versions

Jan 26, 2013 at 08:05 PM
poolek
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · MJHL Hockey Canon 5D

Edited on Jan 29, 2013 at 02:58 PM · View previous versions

Jan 26, 2013 at 08:08 PM
ednotfred
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · MJHL Hockey Canon 5D

Beautiful shots.
Nice and sharp, nice whites, blacks are perfect in my view, my Mac usually shows things darker than my PC.
What lens? 300mm 2.8?
Do you have a www?
I am from Northern Ontario.

Jan 29, 2013 at 05:48 PM
poolek
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · MJHL Hockey Canon 5D

Thank You, ednotfred, much appreciate your comments. Yes I am shooting with a 300mm 2.8 IS version I. I often struggle to know if the black and whites are close to being correct so thanks for the reinforcement. I don't have a www, do you? I'm from southeast Saskatchewan, but have been driving a short distance to Virden Manitoba to catch the MJHL.

Jan 29, 2013 at 07:55 PM
ednotfred
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · MJHL Hockey Canon 5D

I am quite surprised that there are not more comments. These are some of the best I've seen in a while. Speaking in terms of sharpness. That's hard to get. Of course, your glass, and the 5Diii are top notch equipment.
You can see some of my cheesy work on FB by searching Light Art Image.
I have been shooting hockey as a hobby for a couple years now. Ramped them up a bit when I got the 70-200 2.8 II. I shoot purely for fun. Always looking for something interesting.
After I saw your photos the other day, I started looking at the 300mm 2.8. Pretty rich lens. Maybe someday I will find one at a good deal. Keep up the good work. Would love to see more.

Jan 29, 2013 at 08:39 PM
poolek
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · MJHL Hockey Canon 5D

Hey, you've got some really great photos on your FB, you should post your shots here on FM. The 300 2.8 does have a big price tag, especially the new version. I bought mine a few years back and have never regretted it. I've seen some in the buy and sell from time to time around $4000. Thanks again for your comments, its people like you who make it worth while to post!

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Rick Denham
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · MJHL Hockey Canon 5D

shots look good, whites are bit hot though. no detail in the sweaters and in the one from you almost lose the goalies stick (#6). Also number your photo's makes it easier to c+c. you have some great action here though, well done. The 5Dmkiii does very well in the rink.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:52 AM
poolek
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · MJHL Hockey Canon 5D

Thanks Rick for commenting. I was doubting myself if I had the whites properly exposed. My last step in pp was using the white eyedropper tool on the ice and then fading by about 50%. I probably could have left that step out as I think the white balance and exposure was fairly good to begin with. My original shots were sized too large and when I resized, I forgot to number the photos. Should all be there now. Thanks again for commenting!

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Rick Denham
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · MJHL Hockey Canon 5D

Wb should be off the shirts, not the ice

Jan 30, 2013 at 02:10 PM
kwkodiak
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · MJHL Hockey Canon 5D

nice set; lools like the new arena is a good place to take pictures; the old arena was a dungeon.

Jan 30, 2013 at 02:14 PM
poolek
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · MJHL Hockey Canon 5D

Thanks Rick, I'll try the shirts next time.

Jan 30, 2013 at 04:40 PM
poolek
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · MJHL Hockey Canon 5D

Thanks kwkodiak, the new arena is a good place for pictures. The lighting is quite even and consistent. I've taken a few in the old dungeon with less desirable results.

Jan 30, 2013 at 04:48 PM
ednotfred
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · MJHL Hockey Canon 5D

Poolex,
So maybe the whites are indeed a bit 'hot', but for sure the players, at least to me, are not soft, but rather sharp compared to most I've seen. Are you using any flash?
I get better results pointing my 580EX to the rafters.
Any more to post?

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:46 AM
poolek
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · MJHL Hockey Canon 5D

Thanks once again ednotfred, at your request I will post a few more. I will show exif data for the next few. No flash, a reasonably high ISO and a decent shutter speed. I tried using strobes a few years ago when my son played minor hockey, and I was amazed at the image quality. The reason I quite using the strobes is the ice would always look quite gray, and I couldn't find a way to correct it. I'm sure strobes would work well in the larger rinks where the ice already has a white appearance. I'll include one I took with a 40D and one elinchrom 600RX. The next pics I have turned down the exposure a bit in camera raw, have a look and see what you think. Since I've only used the 5D Mark III for one game, I will include some taken with the 5D Mark II.
Thanks again for looking and commenting.

© poolek 2013

© poolek 2013

12 White stick on white ice still a bit difficult to see?

© poolek 2013

© poolek 2013

15 Blast from the past with 40D and one Elinchrom 600RX

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:11 PM
amlsml
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · MJHL Hockey Canon 5D

great series, i enjoyed looking thru your images, love the last one, I assume that is your son?

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:13 PM
poolek
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · MJHL Hockey Canon 5D

Thank you for your commenting amlsml. I'm bad, I probably have a hundred or more of my son, and I post one of his friends.

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:28 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.