Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 5d III or 1DX AF settings for basketball?

jakita33
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5d III or 1DX AF settings for basketball?

(I am posting this here because per the rules of the sports forum this is a Canon forum type of question so please don't point me in that direction )

I have a 5D Mark iii makes its way to me on a UPS truck as we speak so before I break open the box I was hoping to hear from anyone using this AF system to shoot basketball has been doing that works. From reading other members posts and an article by Peter Read Miller over at SportsShooters, I gather that case 1 and 4 are the way to go. Has this been true for you? Have you modified these cases at all? Have you strayed from the center AF point with success? Any additional adjustments you have made that may have helped?

I am currently using the Mark IV so this level of customization in the AF system will be very new to me. I appreciate all your help.

Jay

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:12 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5d III or 1DX AF settings for basketball?

Here`s two great information resources for the 1DX AF system.

"EOS-1D X AF Settings Guidebook", see link near bottom left of "Master the EOS-1D X's AF System"
http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/1dx_guidebook.shtml

"Back-Button Auto Focus Explained"
http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/backbutton_af_article.shtml

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:23 PM
ggreene
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5d III or 1DX AF settings for basketball?

I have a 1DX and for basketball I've been using case 4 with no additional mods. In fact, I've been using case 4 for almost everything. I use orientation linked AF points with center for horizontal shooting and a couple points up for vertical so it hits more body/face then legs.

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jakita33
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5d III or 1DX AF settings for basketball?

Thanks guys! Appreciate the help.

Jan 27, 2013 at 01:14 AM
Chris Humphrey

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5d III or 1DX AF settings for basketball?

I've experimented a good bit with different options and I've found case 1 and 4 both work pretty well, but maybe case 4 is slightly better.

I've found the AF is good at non center points as well and I have it set so that it will flip the points as I go vertical. Very very handy tool.

Also, I've found the lock settings really useful as I kept accidentally bumping the shutter speed as I would switch cameras and by using the lock settings you can't accidentally change the exposure settings. Very very helpful.

Jan 28, 2013 at 08:38 PM
jakita33
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5d III or 1DX AF settings for basketball?

Thanks Chris.

Anyone have any thoughts on 1 AF point vs. expansion AF?

Jan 29, 2013 at 06:54 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password