Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · NEC PA301W-BK-SV vs. Apple 27" Display

gpchase
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · NEC PA301W-BK-SV vs. Apple 27" Display

I currently use an iMAC 27" as my display and drive it with a MACPRO.

I've never have the need to use the iMAC as a computer and recently my neighbor has been nagging me to sell it to him to use as a computer so I've been looking around and like the odds of the NEC 30" with spectra view calibrator.

Can anyone provide feedback as to the performance of this screen, possibly the difference between the two and if maybe I should be considering any other contenders ?

Prior to purchasing the iMAC I side by sided a Dell 2711 and my iMAC (kept the iMAC) and couldn't get past constantl focusing in the screen texture of the Dell. I hope this will not be an issue with the NEC for me..

Comments ?

Jan 26, 2013 at 09:08 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · NEC PA301W-BK-SV vs. Apple 27" Display

I have the NEC 24" and I have *read* a small number of people complain about the NEC 30" backlight 'bleed' around the edges and also you need a Dual DVI or better video card to drive it. Unless you gotta have 30", you may want to consider the NEC 27"

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:49 PM
gpchase
• • •
p.1 #3 · NEC PA301W-BK-SV vs. Apple 27" Display

Good in fo thanks..yes I have a dual dvi card

Jan 27, 2013 at 04:15 PM
Keith B.
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · NEC PA301W-BK-SV vs. Apple 27" Display

My NEC PA271 has the 'sparkly' screen texture effect. Doesn't bother me in practical use, but it'd be nice if it wasn't there. Be sure to purchase from a retailer that has a workable return policy.

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:27 PM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #5 · NEC PA301W-BK-SV vs. Apple 27" Display

gpchase wrote:
... and if maybe I should be considering any other contenders ?

Having used it for the last week, I recommend the Eizo SX2762W. It's their current flagship, with the SX Series replacing CG for color-critical work. Features include 27" IPS panel, 2560x1440, 10 bits/channel, three inputs (all digital), monitor LUT calibration with optional puck, selectable aRGB/sRGB gamuts. Comes with a fancy adjustable stand: I'm using portrait mode for looong FM threads. No problems with dead pixels, backlight bleed, uniformity, or sparkling. Am using an nVidia quadro 600 to drive this beast.

Jan 28, 2013 at 05:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #6 · NEC PA301W-BK-SV vs. Apple 27" Display

I use the Apple 27" LED cinema display on my 2010 Mac Pro
-- 2560-by-1440
-- this has been an excellent monitor and given me no issues
-- colors are very nice for editing
-- it calibrates easily with the DataColor Spyder 4 Express
(almost does not need calibration - change is subtle)
-- I prefer the glossy display over matte for a few reasons -- glossy IPS displays are sharper than matte, simple to clean (matte is difficult to get spots off)

Jan 29, 2013 at 09:12 PM
gpchase
• • •
p.1 #7 · NEC PA301W-BK-SV vs. Apple 27" Display

abqnmusa wrote:
I use the Apple 27" LED cinema display on my 2010 Mac Pro
-- 2560-by-1440
-- this has been an excellent monitor and given me no issues
-- colors are very nice for editing
-- it calibrates easily with the DataColor Spyder 4 Express
(almost does not need calibration - change is subtle)
-- I prefer the glossy display over matte for a few reasons -- glossy IPS displays are sharper than matte, simple to clean (matte is difficult to get spots off)

Yes this is what I have (27" Apple display)..I agree that the display is very nice but what appeals to me with the NEC is
- 30" size
- acts as a KVM switch as I'm building a Hackintosh to compliment my MacPro and switching will be simple with a single mouse and keyboard
-I have an instant sale for my iMac

Feb 07, 2013 at 06:01 AM
gpchase
• • •
p.1 #8 · NEC PA301W-BK-SV vs. Apple 27" Display

Keith B. wrote:
My NEC PA271 has the 'sparkly' screen texture effect. Doesn't bother me in practical use, but it'd be nice if it wasn't there. Be sure to purchase from a retailer that has a workable return policy.

Do you notice it to be noisy ? I've read where one fellow went though 3 before getting a quiet one..

Feb 07, 2013 at 06:03 AM
gpchase
• • •
p.1 #9 · NEC PA301W-BK-SV vs. Apple 27" Display

rico wrote:
Having used it for the last week, I recommend the Eizo SX2762W. It's their current flagship, with the SX Series replacing CG for color-critical work. Features include 27" IPS panel, 2560x1440, 10 bits/channel, three inputs (all digital), monitor LUT calibration with optional puck, selectable aRGB/sRGB gamuts. Comes with a fancy adjustable stand: I'm using portrait mode for looong FM threads. No problems with dead pixels, backlight bleed, uniformity, or sparkling. Am using an nVidia quadro 600 to drive this beast.

How does this price compared to the $2k NEC ? If I was to go to 27" i'd have to also compare the 27" NEC then..

Feb 07, 2013 at 06:04 AM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #10 · NEC PA301W-BK-SV vs. Apple 27" Display

It's about $1400 - which is very decent for Eizo. They unbundled the calibration puck and fancy hood, so price is lower. The big displays in the (discontinued) CG line were expensive ($2.5K and up).

Feb 07, 2013 at 08:08 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password