Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Canon 1D Mark 2 N

lowa2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Canon 1D Mark 2 N

Just got a wicked deal on this rig on the B&S forums. I'm used to the 5D2 and 7D, so this is a hell of a change UI wise. I've had a 1D3 a couple times, but this thing is different! I never liked the form factor of 1D's but I just couldn't pass up on this deal, lol....

I wanted to try this cam out as I didn't like how the 7D handled the 500/4 + 1.4xv2 in servo mode. I got about 70% keeper rate on slow moving targets, but for what I do (hobby), I figured why not try out the 2N.

A few questions as I didn't get a manual (I have downloaded the online 200 page book).

1. Can you set the P.Fn setting in the camera? According to the book, you can only do this with the software on the computer?

2. How do you set the flash sync to 1/250 in Aperture Priority? I can get it to 1/250 in M mode, but can't seem to figure it out in A mode.

3. How many images does your batteries last, just to get an idea.

4. How often do you clean your sensor? I had to use 5 sensor swabs as this sensor was DIRTY!! Still not 100% clean, but far better than it was.

So far, just trying out samples and running it through what I would put the 7D through in PP reveals that the files are really nice. At ISO800, the files clean up WAY easier than the 7D. The real test will come soon when I go outside and test it on the birdies.

Test image of my lazy cat ISO 800, 85/1.8 @ 2.8, 430EXII bounce

Jan 26, 2013 at 04:37 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Canon 1D Mark 2 N

Congrats!

Will your lazy cat be helping when you go outside and test it on the birdies?

1. Can you set the P.Fn setting in the camera? According to the book, you can only do this with the software on the computer?

You need a firewire connection.

Jan 26, 2013 at 04:44 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Canon 1D Mark 2 N

Looks like I'll need to do some shopping, no software or firewire cable.

This week looks good for weather, finally in the pluses Jim!

Jan 26, 2013 at 04:49 AM
Zander Alberts
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Canon 1D Mark 2 N

Amazon has some good cheap FW cables. Software should be available to download here.

Regarding batteries I have had really good experiences with the Lenmar batteries. I've gotten 2000+ shots on them... shooting in Servo too. Lenmar batteries at Amazon.

Jan 26, 2013 at 04:58 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Canon 1D Mark 2 N

lowa2 wrote:
This week looks good for weather, finally in the pluses Jim!

I'm really looking forward to it.

Jan 26, 2013 at 05:00 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Canon 1D Mark 2 N

Zander Alberts wrote:
Amazon has some good cheap FW cables. Software should be available to download here.

Regarding batteries I have had really good experiences with the Lenmar batteries. I've gotten 2000+ shots on them... shooting in Servo too. Lenmar batteries at Amazon.

Thanks for the info/link! I'll be downloading that tomorrow morning!

Jan 26, 2013 at 05:03 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Canon 1D Mark 2 N

Congrats on the great deal! You need an older Win operating system too. Win 98 or 2000, I think. I know I couldn't use Win XP. I didn't find the PF to be any big deal for me anyway, and didn't mind not using them on a 1D2.

Jan 26, 2013 at 05:32 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Canon 1D Mark 2 N

Well I have a vista and win7 machine, so I may have to dig out an old laptop with XL :P

Thanks for the tip.

Jan 26, 2013 at 01:59 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Canon 1D Mark 2 N

lowa2 wrote:
Just got a wicked deal on this rig on the B&S forums. I'm used to the 5D2 and 7D, so this is a hell of a change UI wise. I've had a 1D3 a couple times, but this thing is different! I never liked the form factor of 1D's but I just couldn't pass up on this deal, lol....

I wanted to try this cam out as I didn't like how the 7D handled the 500/4 + 1.4xv2 in servo mode. I got about 70% keeper rate on slow moving targets, but for what I do (hobby), I figured why not
...Show more

I still feel the 1DIIn was maybe the best camera I ever owned and while the demands of work (shooting action in very low light) pushed me to a 1DIV the IIn remains a fond memory.

1) Via firewire. If your computer doesn't have a firewire port (few windoze machines did) you can get firewire to USB converters. Question: what do you need to change in Pf? I shot the camera for years and never felt the need to change anything. BTW you can probably pick up an over priced manual on fleabay.
2) Won't swear to this but I have a memory that one had to be in A mode to do 1/250 sync. I didn't use flash much so could be full of it on this point.
3) With a fully charged, reasonably new battery I never ran out in the field. I regularly got 1,000 clicks. After market batteries are available with Lenmar seemingly the best.
4) No auto cleaning so care in the field is essential. Are you a CPS member? You can get free CLA if you join. Worth the fee just for the CLAs.
5) I still believe - backed up by re-examining some of my older shots - that the 1DIIn (and even more so the 1DsII) had something "special" in their IQ. I always found their images malleable and a joy to print up to 11x17. Also, ISO 800 is about the top for the cam. I shot on occasion at 1600 and even H but lots of noise.

You will enjoy the camera immensely particularly if you take the time to learn the "tactile" interface. You can control all important settings without pulling the camera from your eye, but you have to learn the button front/rear wheel combinations. I shot 10,000s of images with mine.

Robert

Jan 26, 2013 at 04:09 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Canon 1D Mark 2 N

you can get firewire to USB converters.

Robert

Have you personally tried using a FW to USB converter?

Jan 26, 2013 at 08:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

crteach
• • •
p.1 #11 · Canon 1D Mark 2 N

Just be sure to get the right firewire....I first ordered a 400-800 firewire adapter, but it didn't work. So, I had to get the 4-pin to 9-pin firewire to connect to my iMac.

Jan 27, 2013 at 02:40 AM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Canon 1D Mark 2 N

Paul Mo wrote:
Have you personally tried using a FW to USB converter?

No, I only use Mac which until very recently all had built in first FW 400 and the FW 800. I only know that such devices exist but can't vouch for their effectiveness, but conceptually it doesn't seem that challenging to do. One thing for sure, using a USB converter will mean that data moves at USB speeds (or perhaps a bit less), not at FW speeds.

Robert

Jan 27, 2013 at 03:20 AM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #13 · Canon 1D Mark 2 N

Communication speed wouldn't be important for changing personal functions or any other settings. It might be an issue with downloads but setting things like owners name etc won't be any slower. Back in the day when the 2n was still available new you were able to download a file from a Sports Illustrated site with all the recommended settings for shooting sports. That file was transferred to your memory card & then transferred to the camera and generally was what worked for a lot of users. I think I may have changed 1 setting but otherwise it was a great starting point.

Jan 27, 2013 at 03:34 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Canon 1D Mark 2 N

That's a hell of a way to do it! So far, with static subjects, the camera works great. Next step is to try it on slower flyers.

The only thing I'd use the firewire is to update the FW, which is already up to date.

Jan 27, 2013 at 03:49 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Canon 1D Mark 2 N

OntheRez wrote:
One thing for sure, using a USB converter will mean that data moves at USB speeds (or perhaps a bit less), not at FW speeds.

Robert

Or not at all, being mutually incompatible. They are just another scam item being made in China, so no one should consider buying them.

Jan 27, 2013 at 05:15 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Canon 1D Mark 2 N

My Alienware m17x has FireWire. No need to argue :-)

Paul Mo wrote:
Or not at all, being mutually incompatible. They are just another scam item being made in China, so no one should consider buying them.

Jan 27, 2013 at 05:32 AM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Canon 1D Mark 2 N

A few questions as I didn't get a manual (I have downloaded the online 200 page book).

2. How do you set the flash sync to 1/250 in Aperture Priority? I can get it to 1/250 in M mode, but can't seem to figure it out in A mode.

3. How many images does your batteries last, just to get an idea.

4. How often do you clean your sensor? I had to use 5 sensor swabs as this sensor was DIRTY!! Still not 100% clean, but far better than it was.

So far, just trying out samples and running it through what I would put the 7D through in PP reveals that the files are really nice. At ISO800, the files clean up WAY easier than the 7D. The real test will come soon when I go outside and test it on the birdies.

For me (had one for three years) my answers follow:

1. Never needed to do any changes
2. Aperture Priority will give you ETTL capacity...either TV or M to get the sync you need
3. My canon batteries lasted up to around 1000 to 1200 per charge...with gimping too!
4. I cleaned my sensor before every gig....so at least once a week.

YES...the images of the 1DMKIIn..........AWESOME!!! I have thousands of them on my site, all from 08 to the first part of 2011....great color and purity. I will too agree, one of the best focus bodies out there.
The layout will become more natural once you start using it....took a while to adjust to the MKIII too.

I too sometimes look at one on the FS boards and ponder getting another.....

Jan 27, 2013 at 06:19 AM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #18 · Canon 1D Mark 2 N

Personal functions plus setting / changing the owners name are done TETHERED via the firewire cable.

Jan 27, 2013 at 03:44 PM
Daniel Smith
• •
p.1 #19 · Canon 1D Mark 2 N

Possibly the sharpest digital body Canon has produced. Used them for sports and wildlife for the past few years. Still have one for sale - will list it a bit later.

Very good for sports and wildlife as the AutoFocus is reliable and fast. The image quality is still very good and I shot at 3200 for gym and night sports and sold quite a few images from events at those settings.

Solid and well built, the cameras work.

Jan 27, 2013 at 05:02 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Canon 1D Mark 2 N

Daniel Smith wrote:
Possibly the sharpest digital body Canon has produced. Used them for sports and wildlife for the past few years. Still have one for sale - will list it a bit later.

Very good for sports and wildlife as the AutoFocus is reliable and fast. The image quality is still very good and I shot at 3200 for gym and night sports and sold quite a few images from events at those settings.

Solid and well built, the cameras work.

I am impressed with the AF so far. It is very fast indeed. The real test will be BIF, which I hope to try out this week!

Jan 27, 2013 at 05:53 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password