Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Three 20mm ish lenses compared on NEX 7

flashinm
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Three 20mm ish lenses compared on NEX 7

I just did this comparison for my purposes, but I thought others might be interested in this as well. I recently sold my xpro1 and bought an nex 7. I had conceded that the Contax G 21mm wasn't going to work out well with the 7, but I decided to test it with the Adobe flat field plug in anyway. I was surprised that it actually looked pretty good after conversion so I decided to test it against two SLR lenses that I had planned on using occasionally with the 7. Here's what was tested:

Contax G 21mm
Canon FD 20mm f2.8
Nikon 20mm f2.8 AIS

All shots were taken at f8. White balance was manually adjusted to get them close (flat field plugin really changes the WB).

Here's my standard test image

Center 100% crops

Here they all look pretty good. Keep in mind this is a long way away for a wide angle. I'd rank them:
1. G21
2. AIS
3. FD

Here's a crop about half way out from center. I chose this spot because CA performance really shows up here.

The G shows just a hint of CA, but much less than the other two. In this sample I'd rank them:
1. G21
2. FD
3. AIS

Last crop is from the left edge.

This one surprised me. While they are all soft, the G21 performs the best. I'll leave it up to you to decide whether this is good, good enough, or inadequate for your uses. I just thought it was interesting since prevailing wisdom is that retrofocus wide angle lenses will perform better with the NEX 7. The G did of course require "cornerfix" but with the lightroom plugin, this is pretty painless.

Here's the before and after on the G21 image:

Next, I will have to compare the results between the 7 and 5n to determine how I will actually use this lens. I planned on having it permanently mounted to the 5n, but now I think it's at least useable on the 7 and certainly better than either of these SLR options.

Jan 26, 2013 at 03:00 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Three 20mm ish lenses compared on NEX 7

That sure is some gross color shift with the G21. I didn't know it was that bad on the NEX-7....

Jan 26, 2013 at 03:06 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Three 20mm ish lenses compared on NEX 7

I need to learn more about "cornerfix" (only recently heard of it) as I've got some lens combinations that can also be an issue similar to your example.

I've got LR4, but mostly work CS6 ... tips

Jan 26, 2013 at 03:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

douglasf13
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Three 20mm ish lenses compared on NEX 7

RustyBug wrote:
I need to learn more about "cornerfix" (only recently heard of it) as I've got some lens combinations that can also be an issue similar to your example.

I've got LR4, but mostly work CS6 ... tips

LR4 has the functionally built-in, if you download the flat field plug in, although I haven't used it to compare.

Jan 26, 2013 at 03:46 AM
flashinm
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Three 20mm ish lenses compared on NEX 7

Rusty, there's the stand alone cornerfix program that you can download and run on its own or the adobe version which is called flat field. I don't know if the adobe version works with acr/photoshop. I think its lightroom only. Both programs require you to convert the raws to dng first. With Lightroom, you can do this automatically on import. With photoshop you will probably have to use their stand alone dng converter first.

Jan 26, 2013 at 04:00 AM
Jabberwockt
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Three 20mm ish lenses compared on NEX 7

The G21 is a lot less purple in the corners on a 5N. For what its worth, when I was using a 5N more, I ended up trying many 20mm-ish (G21, zuiko 21 & 24, sigma19, rokkor 20 &24). In the end, the 18ZM was what I ended up with and its rendering style wasn't too far off from the rest of the contaxG's.

Jan 26, 2013 at 05:43 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password