Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Avoid SLR Magic 35mm, Design Flawed!

misterbill7718
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Avoid SLR Magic 35mm, Design Flawed!

On a whim I bought the new SLR MAgic 35mm 1.4 in Fuji-X mount from Adorama since sample images looked pretty good and it was only $279 with free shipping. I just got it today and the lens is unusable. Yes, the images are pretty damn impressive for $279 or maybe even compared to a more expensive price range IF you can get it to focus. However, there is massive slop in the focussing helicoid and it has almost a milimeter of front/rear movement making accurate focussing impossible.

Do not be sucked in by claims that SLR Magiic has improved their build quality, this is an obvious issue and means that they cannot achieve the tolerances necessary for lens production.

The lens is going back to Adorama on Monday.

Jan 26, 2013 at 01:42 AM
bellyface
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Avoid SLR Magic 35mm, Design Flawed!

That's a bummer. Was looking at that lens for my x-e1. I just haven't been convinced by the whole focus by wire system Fuji offers.

Jan 26, 2013 at 03:21 AM
misterbill7718
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Avoid SLR Magic 35mm, Design Flawed!

If the build was better I would be totally stoked with it. The size and feel of the lens is great and the IQ is really nice, but the focus slop kills it. Too bad, this could have been a really big turn-around for SLR Magic, but they dropped the ball.

Jan 26, 2013 at 04:21 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password