New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lighroom 4 Initial Workflow

Persio
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lighroom 4 Initial Workflow

Gentlemen,
I am new to Lightroom (just switched over from Capture One) and would like advice on the initial steps in the workflow.
After Importing my images into Lightroom I believe I have two major options:
1) I can go directly into the Develop module and start working on my images or;
2) I can create a Collection based on the recently imported images and then go into the Develop module.
What is the best practice to follow?

My concern is that in option 1 above my adjustments are linked directly to my original images while in option 2 my adjustments are linked indirectly (through the Collection) to my original images.

Please let me have you comments and suggestions.
Thanks,
Persio.

Jan 25, 2013 at 06:55 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lighroom 4 Initial Workflow

The adjustments are stored in the LR catalog and are always linked to the specific image and it does NOT matter if that image is included in a collection or not.

I don't want to confuse you but here is some additional, related information:

If you are using Virtual Copies, you can have multiple sets of adjustments related to the same image.

Collections do not interfere with how adjustments are linked to images. Via filtering or via the use of Smart Collections, however, you can create and maintain Collections based on adjustments criteria. In other words, adjustments may impact which images are included in a Collection but a Collection in itself cannot impact the adjustments of an image.

Jan 25, 2013 at 07:17 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lighroom 4 Initial Workflow

I save all imports in folders based on year -> date/event. From there everything is organised using collections.

Adjustments are linked to images either via being a part of the LR catalogue file, or by sidecar .xmp files saved in the same folder as the image.

Jan 26, 2013 at 03:04 AM
Persio
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lighroom 4 Initial Workflow

Thanks 15Bit and Eyeball for taking time to replying to my post.
I appreciate your comments.
If anyone else would like to comment, please do so.
Regards,
Persio.

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:29 AM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lighroom 4 Initial Workflow

As was said, there is no dependence on the order, except when you are making copies. Once you make a copy, the processing of the two versions is no longer linked. For me, it makes sense to do initial organizing and processing of the images upon import so you can get a better idea of what you have. Then apply collections if needed.

I import images into a folder as a set and do the initial deletion of unwanted images. I then do initial ranking/keywording to finish getting organized and do whatever initial processing is needed. After that, the use of collections may be relevant. If it is something like a family event, they generally are just in the folder and I only make a collection of the select images I plan to post. If it is landscapes from a trip, there may be individual images that get added to various portfolio collections. If I have made copies to try different processing options, they are all in the original folder and the best copies may get added to a collection.

Generally I keep the images in folders by date/event name and use collections for special groupings of those images as needed.

One thing I am finding is that I am probably not using copies enough. If I have just the original in several different collections, going back to re-process will change it in all collections, which is not always what I want.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:06 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.