Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       end

Archive 2013 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

ShutteredMe
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

Good luck. I hope you will get a good one.
I have both the D4 and the D800e. The D800e has already been to Nikon once and I need to send it in again b/c it is not 100%. I can live with the minor focus issue but I think it should go back for another visit now. As for the D4, it also have minor focusing issue as well. It will go back to Nikon service pretty soon along with my 600mm vr for calibrations. No big deal, just little annoyances we have to go through. I am thinking of it as having to send the gears in for a tune up every year...

-Quang

Jan 28, 2013 at 06:03 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

M Lucca wrote:
Sorry that it has to come to this. There was a guy who posted here not long ago with D4 problems and sent it into Nikon for repair. Nikon actually lost his D4. Gave him the run around. The guy posted his frustration here and he got similar treatment as you. So don't think you're singled out. There is a pervasive culture of insecurity here. The fanboys cannot stand any negative sentiment on the forum and must feel they have to shut people up or divert attention to Nikon Enemy #1 - Canon.

Lucca I think it's interesting how we see things differently

Here's how I see it:

There are a lot of FMers that would like to keep this forum from degrading into DPR-like mentality - both in brand fanboy-ism as well as brand bashing/trolling. So, lots of times these types of threads are seen as poor taste and the OP insulted.

I don't know about you guys, but I'd really hate to read a forum that's chock-full of nothing but complaints on whatever camera they're using at the time.

Now, I do not agree with insulting the OP - if you don't like what he/she has said, just move on and let the thread die from attrition.

However, I do see the viewpoints the other posters have made, if rudely.

1) The OP "insults" the D4, calling it not impressive, and simply says he's returning it. There is no asking if anyone else had these problems or asking if perhaps it's possible there is a new setting/feature which he isn't up-to-par on. Just a negative statement about the camera.

So, many people see this statement as completely void of value. There is no question to answer, no photo to show problems, nothing. It's almost a Facebook-quality post in how it's just free-flow thought post (not to insult the OP, that's how I saw it).

2) Furthermore, the OP never posts any photos actually showing the problems so that perhaps someone could troubleshoot the problem, or maybe a D4 owner could pipe in and say "well yes I ran into that problem too until...". Regardless of experience levels, even if you have been using cameras longer than some of us have been alive, realize there are always quirks for cameras and new things added, etc. Automatically discounting this possibility is crotchety at best.

3) Finally, the OP has the (IMO) completely unrealistic expectation that a $6000 mass-produced item should work perfectly, disregarding the fact it's possible it did work fine until the shipment either to the reseller or to his home.

So ultimately, I see it as a thread expressing frustration at the OP for a very low-value post to begin with, followed with what (some) see as a completely unrealistic expectation of an item working at 100% just because it costs X, the complete unwillingness to upload test shots or have help because he was just wanting to vent, and ultimately it degrading into something we'd see on DPR.

At least I got to read up on Six-Sigma and learned something new

Best of luck to the OP on the replacement.

Jan 28, 2013 at 09:01 PM
Sambru
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

Photorph wrote:
RJK what did you end up deciding? My friend got the same exact camera from adorama with a package deal they had going on for D4, with a battery, memory card, 3 year warranty, and 5% rewards. Plus he got 3% from his CC, so overall 8% off and $450 worth of stuff... It's like getting a new D4 for $5000. A great deal overall! He hasn't done any extensive AF testing, but so far his is doing okay. No adjustment needed with his 85 1.4 at 1.4. I would upload photos but I don't have buy/sell upgrade (yet..).

I paid
...Show more

The Canon 1Dx is NOT a better camera over all. Both the D4 & 1Dx have there quirks to say one is better than the other is very narrow minded.

Jan 28, 2013 at 09:27 PM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

Let me me this perfectly clear. I did not post my original comments looking for advice. I know how a camera should work, and I didn't want anyone else's opinion on the matter. I was frustrated that a $6000 camera didn't work correctly. I do not owe you any photos. And to be totally honest, after this post and the ridiculous replies and reactions, this forum would be THE VERY LAST place I would come looking for answers about anything related to how a camera functions!

Furthermore, I am certainly not going to accept your view that expecting a camera of the cost to function reliably right out of the box is being unrealistic. SIX THOUSAND F>%@)!* DOLLARS! And I sent it back. So for all intents and purposes...the point is now moot.

If the post was so "low value" to you why on earth would you waste any amount of time reading, much less commenting?

Jan 28, 2013 at 09:40 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

RJKphoto wrote:
I didn't want anyone else's opinion on the matter

Yes, you have made it perfectly clear that nobody's opinion on the matter was welcome.

I can only surmise that you are new to the internet, possibly taking over an account from some other person that posted 1000+ times, and that you were unaware that posting a rant on a public forum devoted to the object of your rant might solicit, you know, other peoples' opinions.

If that's the case, let me assure you that this is a standard occurrence on the internet. I wish you the warmest welcome, and I hope you enjoy your stay in the digital world.

Jan 28, 2013 at 09:50 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

RJKphoto wrote:
If the post was so "low value" to you why on earth would you waste any amount of time reading, much less commenting?

Assuming this was to me :

You'll note I didn't comment on your OP (though I did read it), but on the reactions of others to how this thread developed. Not to be insulting, but I found the psychology (and mutation) of this thread more interesting than the original post

Best of luck in your replacement D4.

Jan 28, 2013 at 09:55 PM
popinvasion
• • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

RJKphoto wrote:
Let me me this perfectly clear. I did not post my original comments looking for advice. I know how a camera should work, and I didn't want anyone else's opinion on the matter. I was frustrated that a $6000 camera didn't work correctly. I do not owe you any photos. And to be totally honest, after this post and the ridiculous replies and reactions, this forum would be THE VERY LAST place I would come looking for answers about anything related to how a camera functions!

Furthermore, I am certainly not going to accept your view that expecting a camera
...Show more
I understand your point and I understand your frustrations. I can't say I disagree with your opinion. I understand you were just venting. I do however think it may be helpful to others, possibly myself if I was looking into buying a D4 to understand the issues you experienced because I may want to avoid them. Not to mention we are neighbors, so hey

Jan 28, 2013 at 09:56 PM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

binary visions wrote:
Yes, you have made it perfectly clear that nobody's opinion on the matter was welcome.

I can only surmise that you are new to the internet, possibly taking over an account from some other person that posted 1000+ times, and that you were unaware that posting a rant on a public forum devoted to the object of your rant might solicit, you know, other peoples' opinions.

If that's the case, let me assure you that this is a standard occurrence on the internet. I wish you the warmest welcome, and I hope you enjoy your stay in the digital world.

Binary, this made me actually laugh out loud...

It's not that I wasn't open to opinions, it was the other crap, like saying that the expectation of having a $6000 item actually WORK, as well as the other random name calling, saying the post was of no value etc. I post here from an iPhone, so adding pictures is a HUGE chore, and not really necessary.

I LOVE Nikon. I have used them for 30+ years. I stuck with them when Canon kicked their ass in AF. I am old school. I need my gear to work. That's really all there is to it...

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:01 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

RJKphoto wrote:

Furthermore, I am certainly not going to accept your view that expecting a camera
...Show more

Here's the thing - we don't know you. We don't know your skill with a camera or understanding of the highly complicated system that is a D4 (especially when it comes to the AF system). Your original post gave very little information to go on, so each person reading it was trying to decide whether you were venting, looking for help, bashing/trolling, just didn't understand the hardware, had some nuanced setting turned on, whatever.

I agree it is a valid expectation that the camera work 100% correctly right out of the box, but it is completely unrealistic to think that is going to be true 100% of the time. Stuff happens. Even the very best companies suffer from defects. The best of the best do a good job reacting well when stuff happens. I can't really comment on Nikon, though their handling of the D800 issues wasn't inspiring.

As it turns out, you were just venting. Fine. You shouldn't be surprised that people disagree with you, and the photography world seems to have a...vivid tapestry...of personalities . If you'd just said in your post "I'm frustrated and wanted to take the opportunity vent" this probably would have been a pretty quiet thread. Hope it works out for you in the end!

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:14 PM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

M635_Guy wrote:
Here's the thing - we don't know you. We don't know your skill with a camera or understanding of the highly complicated system that is a D4 (especially when it comes to the AF system). Your original post gave very little information to go on, so each person reading it was trying to decide whether you were venting, looking for help, bashing/trolling, just didn't understand the hardware, had some nuanced setting turned on, whatever.

I agree it is a valid expectation that the camera work 100% correctly right out of the box, but it is completely unrealistic to think that
...Show more

Well said Lee...

Can you imagine those poor customers that purchased the Boeing 787 Dreamliner? I don't think there is a big enough Internet to vent that purchase...

-Quang

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

RJKphoto wrote:
Thanks you to all the helpful and supportive comments. I dropped the body off at fed-ex, Adorama will have it tomorrow. With any luck I will have the new body in a week

Well that's a more positive tone!

Jan 29, 2013 at 04:03 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

binary visions wrote:

Now that's funny!

Jan 29, 2013 at 04:04 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

M635_Guy wrote:

I agree it is a valid expectation that the camera work 100% correctly right out of the box, but it is completely unrealistic to think that
...Show more

+10 What made me think the OP was over the top was not the original post, but his response to others, but I agree ... if you need to rant/vent, it helps to let people know.

When one pays good money for something, they expect it to work. When it does not, it is frustrating, but you at least have to give the company a chance to make it right. In this case, that means send the camera in.

I do hope you new camera works to your expectations. It does seem that Nikon is seeing its fair share of QC incidents lately and their new policy of not selling any meaningful parts is very customer hostile.

Jan 29, 2013 at 04:09 AM
WeiQ

p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

Price and Quality are not necessarily linked.

There are some Honda Civics that are built with better QC than a Mercedes, just saying.

Jan 29, 2013 at 04:17 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

ShutteredMe wrote:
Well said Lee...

Can you imagine those poor customers that purchased the Boeing 787 Dreamliner? I don't think there is a big enough Internet to vent that purchase...

-Quang

i'm part of one of them and currently have 5 sitting on the ground here in the US and one stuck in Japan

Jan 29, 2013 at 04:44 AM
SweetMk
• •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

Maybe the D4 needed a firmware update!!?

Here is the update:

https://nikoneurope-nl.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/55332

Changes in this version
The performance of the function subject to follow in the focus mode is AF-C (continuous-servo autofocus) when you compose with the viewfinder, are improved.

Jan 29, 2013 at 03:37 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

why not just go to the Nikon usa site?

Jan 29, 2013 at 03:40 PM
spxxxx
• • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

I've had two D800's and a D4 and was very underwhelmed with the focussing abilities of all three ..... Nikon seem to have gone backwards from the D3s ....

But I may have had bad copies of all three .......

Jan 29, 2013 at 03:51 PM
SweetMk
• •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

sjms wrote:
why not just go to the Nikon usa site?

I just wanted to see who could speak Dutch!

Jan 29, 2013 at 04:35 PM
traylorc
• •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...

M635_Guy wrote:

...Show more

+1

Jan 29, 2013 at 07:46 PM
       6       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password