Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4       5       6       end
  

Archive 2013 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...
  
 
CRFTony
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...


I simply meant that I would have liked to have seen some photos that exhibited the problems you were experiencing. Sorry for posting in your thread.

Edited on Jan 28, 2013 at 08:07 PM · View previous versions



Jan 26, 2013 at 04:13 PM
RJKphoto
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...


That's not what you meant, nor how it was phrased. Love the hide button!


Jan 26, 2013 at 04:19 PM
sjms
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...


CRFTony wrote:
I simply meant that I would have liked to have seen some photos that exhibited the problems you were experiencing. Sorry for posting in your thread. Instead of kissing your ass, I'll just hide your posts from now on. Feel free to do the same.


as to your chosen use of words. you did commit a no no. to an extent we do try not to cross certain lines.



Jan 26, 2013 at 04:33 PM
James R
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...


Photorph wrote:
OP, I agree that if you spend $6k the camera should just work and let not get in your way.

See this thread I started http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1183543

I will say the D4 is a great camera, but try the 1dx You may change your mind once you try that out.

Other people have had AF issues with D4, but when I tried out someone elses D4 there were no AF issues. It was focusing great, but comparitively speaking it felt much slower to me compared to my 1dx, the screen wasn't nearly as good for viewing images, and the colors looked
...Show more

Why are you trolling a Nikon site pushing the 1DX?



Jan 26, 2013 at 04:43 PM
CRFTony
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...


sjms wrote:
as to your chosen use of words. you did commit a no no. to an extent we do try not to cross certain lines.


I crossed lines? My initial post was pretty clear. We had 2 pages of drama (from both sides) and no pics from the problem camera. I've made posts complaining about my D800 and some lenses and if it was an issue relevant to image quality, I always shared images to show what problems I felt I was experiencing.

I didn't insult the OP. He's the one who told me to kiss his ass. If I broke any forum rules, I apologize.


Edited on Jan 26, 2013 at 04:55 PM · View previous versions



Jan 26, 2013 at 04:51 PM
sjms
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...


James R wrote:
Why are you trolling a Nikon site pushing the 1DX?


he's on a crusade of a sorts
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1183543/0



Jan 26, 2013 at 04:51 PM
sjms
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...


CRFTony wrote:
I crossed lines? My initial post was pretty clear. We had 2 pages of drama (from both sides) and no pics from the problem camera. I've made posts complaining about my D800 and some lenses and if it was an issue relevant to image quality, I always shared images to show what problems I felt I was experiencing.

I didn't insult the OP. He's the one who told me to kiss his ass. If I broke any forum rules, I apologize.


my apology to directing it to only you. both of you crossed the line and it was unnecessary to do so. no drama here.



Edited on Jan 26, 2013 at 05:12 PM · View previous versions



Jan 26, 2013 at 05:08 PM
M Lucca
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...


It's unfortunate Nikon seems to be having a raft of reliability issues from left bank AF problems, green tint, oil/dust spots etc. It seems the only reliable new Nikon is the D5200!

What's worse is how Nikon responds to such issues. There are quite a bit of thread on this to the point Thom Hogan an all time Nikon supporter had to chime in. Of course it illicit alot of opinions from Nikon fanboys <ahem> apologetics.



Jan 26, 2013 at 06:32 PM
ct8282
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...


Yeah, certainly doesn't seem that Nikon have handled the well publicised issues very well at all. Lots of reports of what can only be described as horror stories from some people once they have sent their cameras in for service or repair.

It is a shame, but equally I have also read plenty of horror stories from the Canon camp too in regards to Canon service and repair. Very disappointing really! People invest a lot of time, money and emotion into their camera gear and whilst faulty or problem products are to be expected, what is more important is how the manufacturers deal with the issues once reported.



Jan 26, 2013 at 07:39 PM
rhyder
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...


RJKphoto wrote:
I parted with $6,000 for a new D4, and I have to tell you, I am not really impressed. The colors seem great, but the focusing with the 24-70 and 70-200 are crap. Even at 5.6...not happy at all. Back to Adorama you go!


What's that whining sound?? Do you think anyone really cares?? I've never understood why some folks have a need to put all their problems on the internet.



Jan 26, 2013 at 07:49 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Ghost
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...


ct8282 wrote:
Yeah, certainly doesn't seem that Nikon have handled the well publicised issues very well at all. Lots of reports of what can only be described as horror stories from some people once they have sent their cameras in for service or repair.

It is a shame, but equally I have also read plenty of horror stories from the Canon camp too in regards to Canon service and repair. Very disappointing really! People invest a lot of time, money and emotion into their camera gear and whilst faulty or problem products are to be expected, what is more important is how the
...Show more

Really? A visit over to Canon forum seems pretty dull by comparison. The 6d as dorky a camera doesn't leak like an '89 Oldsmobile. The 5d3 has no left bank AF issues or green tint. That thing just works. Colour tone spot on. No moire. No green tint. Everything just work. Oh wait... light leak when shooting with the lens cap on. Right. Photography with the lens cap on.

It's not to say all Nikon camera is crap. However it must be acknowledged that currently Nikon clearly has QC problems and service treatment is disappointing. Put it this way when you have a thread about D800 with an opening title to "No Whine" really tells a lot on owners general feelings.



Jan 26, 2013 at 08:59 PM
ct8282
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...


Ghost wrote:
Really? A visit over to Canon forum seems pretty dull by comparison. The 6d as dorky a camera doesn't leak like an '89 Oldsmobile. The 5d3 has no left bank AF issues or green tint. That thing just works. Colour tone spot on. No moire. No green tint. Everything just work. Oh wait... light leak when shooting with the lens cap on. Right. Photography with the lens cap on.

It's not to say all Nikon camera is crap. However it must be acknowledged that currently Nikon clearly has QC problems and service treatment is disappointing. Put it this way when
...Show more

Err, I did acknowledge Nikon's issues, quite clearly in fact in my opening paragraph.

Your fanboy Nikon slating wasn't required but thanks for your input anyway. I'm heavily invested in Nikon as you may have noticed but quite frankly I couldn't care less if my equipment says Nikon or Canon as long as it produces the results I want.
I wasn't having a dig at Cannon products in any way whatsoever. I was merely remarking that there have also been many issues reported with their poor service.


Edited on Jan 26, 2013 at 09:32 PM · View previous versions



Jan 26, 2013 at 09:25 PM
Photorph
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...


Ghost wrote:
Really? A visit over to Canon forum seems pretty dull by comparison. The 6d as dorky a camera doesn't leak like an '89 Oldsmobile. The 5d3 has no left bank AF issues or green tint. That thing just works. Colour tone spot on. No moire. No green tint. Everything just work. Oh wait... light leak when shooting with the lens cap on. Right. Photography with the lens cap on.

It's not to say all Nikon camera is crap. However it must be acknowledged that currently Nikon clearly has QC problems and service treatment is disappointing. Put it this way when
...Show more

My point exactly. Canon had many issues in the past but all is well on there side now, it must be nikons turn to drop the ball and lose customers.



Jan 26, 2013 at 09:29 PM
lsutigerfan
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...


I don't know what else to add really...I have the D800 and my buddy has the D4. AF performance is about equal (aside from FPS obviously) but I do notice they meter slightly differently. I don't know why, but on the same subject, same setting, metering is a little different. Do I consider the d4 2X the camera (being twice as $$$$$)? Heck no! I'm glad I got the D800, and IF i could;ve afforded the d4 -- I would have still gotten the d800.


Jan 26, 2013 at 09:33 PM
RJKphoto
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...


rhyder wrote:
What's that whining sound?? Do you think anyone really cares?? I've never understood why some folks have a need to put all their problems on the internet.

I don't understand why you bothered to comment. Another worthless contribution...



Jan 26, 2013 at 10:33 PM
sjms
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...


somehow I muddle through. moving boat, rocking boat so so light. then there's that low light in the early AM and those fireballs. and then lastly those lousy lit comic con on the fly moments




sjms 2012

  NIKON D4    24mm    f/8.0    1/400s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  






  NIKON D4    24mm    f/7.1    1/200s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  






  NIKON D4    92mm    f/5.6    1/125s    16126 ISO    0.0 EV  




Jan 27, 2013 at 05:06 AM
James R
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...


sjms,

You need to make your pics a little smaller. They go off my screen. I assume these shots did not have any post processing added.



Jan 27, 2013 at 06:11 AM
fishfilm
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...


James R wrote:
sjms,

You need to make your pics a little smaller. They go off my screen. I assume these shots did not have any post processing added.


Willing to deal with it for the content.



Jan 27, 2013 at 06:36 AM
sjms
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...


James R wrote:
sjms,

You need to make your pics a little smaller. They go off my screen. I assume these shots did not have any post processing added.


I do minimal post work. generally not too much needed. DXO for lens correction and nef to whatever I need conversion. brought into PS6 for cropping. I tend to do minimal post work on my images (too lazy and for the most part to preserve the real moment). these are within the prescribed max size allowed by the image upload limits. they have been stomped on pretty good (compressed). these are pretty low res. I currently work off a 24" screen and in full screen format I have a good piece (about 30% side to side) of area left open w/o the need to pan. home screen res is 1920x1200. 15" laptop res 1920x1080. the largest image there is 1280x810
in camera:
Hi ISO NR is OFF
Long Exp NR is OFF
I try to turn off or minimize any in camera processing so if reqd I have the option to do at my leisure. I shoot raw or occasionally raw+fine jpg. i'm moody that way
the 3rd image of the young lady did get a touch of post NR using Neat Image 7.3 in PS6 with a setting of "remove half the noise"
any post work is generally under 5 minutes per image which includes me looking over "my precious"

any post work done is within the specified limits of my employers for their publication.

my work doesn't run off a script or at set known locations. I generally don't get chances for "setups". I don't get to say "hold that pose". I've used an assistant (aka 2nd shooter) 2 times in 35 years.



Jan 27, 2013 at 01:20 PM
chez
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · UPDATE! Impressed with my $6k expenditure...


rhyder wrote:
What's that whining sound?? Do you think anyone really cares?? I've never understood why some folks have a need to put all their problems on the internet.


I guess the same can be said about your totally useless post. I know I am not adding anything to this topic...but I have to call you out on your post. Zero, yes zero value.



Jan 27, 2013 at 02:50 PM
1       2      
3
       4       5       6       end




FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4       5       6       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password