Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 2013 Girls Varsity Shoot for a cure game.

gome1122
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 2013 Girls Varsity Shoot for a cure game.

My first post here with photos. Sorry but I only have a link to my facebook album . 119 photos, a bit much, but I needed excess for the facebook viewers. Most game shots at 1/400 f/4 ISO 5000 with a 7D and 70-200 f/4. Used in camera NR and some NR after in post. Only 16 but was asked by the coach to shoot this game, because I went to every other game. Even landed me a seat on the bus to away games with the team. Only let down of the night is that I was a special mention for shooting at the games, but one of the players aunt who is a 'pro' photographer got one of "3 very special mentions". She used the kit lens, pop up flash and another $200 zoom lens. And this was her first game I saw her at. A bit of a why moment, but I'm still happy with the results. Working on a 70-200 f/2.8 so I can dial down the noise. Besides some timing I'm pretty happy with it. Any advice tips, comments. Again sorry for the mass amount of photos.

Game was to raise money for Roswell park cancer institute. The event raised $7118.96. Plus they won 34-13.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10200417359466037.2187142.1517567154&type=3

Jan 25, 2013 at 08:48 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · 2013 Girls Varsity Shoot for a cure game.

If you want honest critique, you'll get more feedback by posting about 12 shots in the body of your post.

I sifted through the first 30 shots or so and have suggestions...
1) Avoid backs. A shot like this would not be a keeper:

2) Your exposures seem to be all over the place. Were you shooting manual?

3) Color balance is also an issue. Cycling lights doesn't make it easy, but you'll have to learn how to process them better.

4) Finally, there are some out of focus images in there. I know from your previous post that you are looking to build a portfolio. Post only your best shots.

Hope this helps. Happy Shooting.

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:29 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #3 · 2013 Girls Varsity Shoot for a cure game.

P Alesse wrote:
If you want honest critique, you'll get more feedback by posting about 12 shots in the body of your post.

I sifted through the first 30 shots or so and have suggestions...
1) Avoid backs. A shot like this would not be a keeper:

2) Your exposures seem to be all over the place. Were you shooting manual?

3) Color balance is also an issue. Cycling lights doesn't make it easy, but you'll have to learn how to process them better.

4) Finally, there are some out of focus images in there. I know from your previous post that you are looking to
...Show more
1) yeah, I figured that. Would never put one like this in my portfolio. But just up there for anyone that wants to see it for now.

2) I'm shooting manual, but I have no Idea why the lighting of the gym it was in is very weird. I would shoot a burst of 2 shots and they could be completely different exposures. Could it be the lights? It was shot at night, so it couldn't be sunlight coming through the skylights.

3) I have had a problem with this as much as I have had with the exposure. I set it to a custom white balance but every time it seems to come out all over the place.

4) The 7D in low light doesn't have the best AF system, I put it in AI servo mode, so If a player would run past me it would throw it off. I put them up there just because people will still like them. Once I start to get more serious and make a business page I'll only put up a few shots from each game.

Anyone know why the exposure and white balance would be off? I'll also post only a few here next time. It said only members could upload photos. I didn't know you could just put up a link of the photos. I'll do that next time. I post a ton on facebook and tag the people in them because that makes more people get notified about the photos because more people are tagged, so I get out there more. But the beginning photos on here are JV then it goes to varsity photos(that's how the event went) so you only saw the JV photos which weren't the best, so if you could look at the varsity photos, that would be great.

thanks for the input,
Luke

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · 2013 Girls Varsity Shoot for a cure game.

There isn't anything you can do for cycling lights. Some will say set a custom WB, some will say shoot manual. Bottom light is that there is NOT a thing that can be done to overcome cycling lights other than strobing. You just have to learn to deal with it and process images after the fact. And yes, it can reek havoc with exposure too.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:41 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · 2013 Girls Varsity Shoot for a cure game.

Also, Luke... sit on the floor and shoot lower. There are a couple of keepers in the varsity shots, but overall, you just need to keep practicing. Shoot. Shoot a lot. You will get better. I know you are trying to get into bigger events, but bigger doesn't mean better. Many of our best shots are actually of the younger, less prestigious events. School sports and youth events offer lots of opportunities for portfolio shots.

Finally, be careful with tagging subjects in your FB posts to "get your name out there.". If looking to make a business of this some day, that idea will come back to bite you in the ass.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:48 AM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #6 · 2013 Girls Varsity Shoot for a cure game.

P Alesse wrote:
Also, Luke... sit on the floor and shoot lower. There are a couple of keepers in the varsity shots, but overall, you just need to keep practicing. Shoot. Shoot a lot. You will get better. I know you are trying to get into bigger events, but bigger doesn't mean better. Many of our best shots are actually of the younger, less prestigious events. School sports and youth events offer lots of opportunities for portfolio shots.

Finally, be careful with tagging subjects in your FB posts to "get your name out there.". If looking to make a business of this
...Show more
I tried to get on the ground as much as I can. I sat down for a lot of the shots. But the baseline at our school is only 3 feet wide and I have to leave a lot of it for the refs. I stood occasionally when talking with other photographers, because there were a few there, as it was a big event. But I usually sit or kneel.

I'm not necessarily looking to go to bigger events just to say I can go big. I'm mainly just doing it to get a feel for how stuff works with the bigger leagues, and talk to photographers in these bigger leagues. And most importantly to get more games in to shoot. I try and do as much as possible. Never thought about that coming back to bit me. Over summer I'm going to slowly ease out of uploading so many photos, start watermarking(facebook only) and make my own website to use.

Thanks for the advice,
Luke

Jan 26, 2013 at 01:12 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password