Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · photographing snowboarders - 5D2 or 1Ds2?

bigbluebear
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · photographing snowboarders - 5D2 or 1Ds2?

I see all these posts about winter photography and thus am going to try to shoot something worth contributing this weekend when I'm up at the slopes. I've never shot in the snow so I've been reading up on what to do (like carrying plastic bag for camera when you are transitioning from cold to warm to prevent condensation inside the camera).

I'll likely try to take some action shots as friends ride on their boards. Having said that, do you think i'm better off going w/ the 5D2 or the 1Ds2?

5D2 - advantage is a video feature, better battery life, and also better low light performance. Negatives are weaker focusing system and no weathersealing.

1Ds2 - advantage is better weathersealing and focusing system. Negatives are much heavier and no video. I have three batteries but not sure how these bricks will hold up in the cold weather.

I've never shot in the snow so I'm not sure how good/bad the batteries are in the cold and also if the weathersealing is a big factor. I'm currently leaning towards the 5D2 for it's video capabilities (nice to have) and the weight factor.

I'm planning to bring a small waterproof backpack and hope to get some nice captures with a fisheye, 70-200 f/4 IS (over the 100-400 and the 2.8 versions due to weight), and a wide angle zoom. The plan is likely to shoot early during the day, put my pack away in the afternoon, and then shoot again closer to sunset. I'll have hand warmers to hopefully lengthen battery life, plenty of zip lock baggies, and silica gel packets.

Thoughts?

Jan 25, 2013 at 07:52 AM
JORDI350D

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · photographing snowboarders - 5D2 or 1Ds2?

1ds2.
Without any doubt.
I have 1ds2 and 1d4, and if I do not need the high ISO ratings, I use 1ds2.
5d2 that I had in the past have not the same AF level and shutter lagg.

BR

Jordi

Jan 25, 2013 at 08:02 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · photographing snowboarders - 5D2 or 1Ds2?

I agree with Jordi. AF with the 1D_II-series is world's better than the 5DII. The batteries are a bit better. OTOH, if you want video too, then it's either the 5dII or pick up a used GoPro Hero.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:24 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · photographing snowboarders - 5D2 or 1Ds2?

1DSii... The 5DII will not AF as well. I carry 5 batteries for the 1DsII but have shot for hours on one. Keep batteries close to your body (warm) and you'll be ok.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:46 PM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #5 · photographing snowboarders - 5D2 or 1Ds2?

The 1DsII is your best bet, especially with the weather sealing the better AF over the 5DII.

-Nick

Jan 25, 2013 at 03:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #6 · photographing snowboarders - 5D2 or 1Ds2?

thanks everyone. Friend also will be bringing a gopro so it should be an interesting weekend

Jan 25, 2013 at 05:22 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #7 · photographing snowboarders - 5D2 or 1Ds2?

both are about the same speed but the AF on the 1ds is much nicer.

have fun

Jan 25, 2013 at 06:41 PM
jason.alabama
• •
p.1 #8 · photographing snowboarders - 5D2 or 1Ds2?

Weather sealing hopefully isn't that big of a deal in the snow, but it does depend of where you will be (as snow can be relatively wet or dry depending on the temperature and humidity). I have shot in the snow with the D30 (not a typo), which didn't pose any problems, and I was on a snowboard. I just stopped, spun to my knees, popped off my backpack, and started shooting. Then again, I have also shot my 1Ds in the snow and felt a little more comfortable. In the end, the 1Ds2 will be better for the AF. Just watch your batteries.

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #9 · photographing snowboarders - 5D2 or 1Ds2?

One thing to point out re the snow is that it will fool the metering. You'll need to shoot 1 to 2 stops higher for a nice look on the snow. I'd also use a 1Ds2 rather than a 5D2.

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:04 AM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #10 · photographing snowboarders - 5D2 or 1Ds2?

My tip after the trip is to NOT keep the batteries in your pocket. Some say warm batteries last longer. However, my brother's friend cracked his rib from falling on his keys while he was on a snowboard. Same thing can happen with batteries.

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:18 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password