Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Outside of my element, inside.

JakeB.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Outside of my element, inside.

I've never really done studio work. But I've gotten an opportunity lately to basically have free access to a studio pretty close to my house... Here's a shot from this evening,

Mavella - Studio Portraits - Gem by MavellaPhoto, on Flickr

See it slightly larger on Flickr, if you are so inclined.

I spent a little time removing strays... what are your opinions what is left (particularly the ones coming across her neck)?
Thanks in advance for any comments!

Jan 25, 2013 at 04:57 AM
elliotkramer
• • •
p.1 #2 · Outside of my element, inside.

I like this photo a lot. It may be a bit over-sharpened. I can see the excess sharpening in her hair and face. The skin on her face could benefit from a little less detail which I think was brought out by sharpening.

Jan 25, 2013 at 05:08 AM
JakeB.
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Outside of my element, inside.

Thanks a lot Elliot. I think the oversharpening is a result of the resize by Flickr... I tend to like the extra little bit their algorithm provides, but I agree that it does hurt this shot.

Here's the original file with the sharpening as I applied it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mavellaphoto/8413433400/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Jan 25, 2013 at 05:21 AM
ChiShutter
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Outside of my element, inside.

Nice shot, but I think even the original version could do with some subtle skin smoothing. Too much texture there! I like it so it's visible if you're looking for it, but this skin texture jumped out at me.

Jan 25, 2013 at 06:00 AM
DaveOls
• • •
p.1 #5 · Outside of my element, inside.

I really like this shot, even though you can see the pores in her face. So many of the images posted here are so smooth that they don't look real.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:22 PM

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Outside of my element, inside.

You did very well. My only suggestion is to "smooth" the flesh slightly. Not silky, just a little.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:52 PM
friscoron
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Outside of my element, inside.

I like this shot a lot, love the lighting. I don't think smoothing will help the skin without turning it plastic. Pores are a bit deep here. I'd leave it as it is. I really like this!

Jan 25, 2013 at 04:46 PM
fgransee
• •
p.1 #8 · Outside of my element, inside.

I do like the composition and the model is certainly very pretty. I like the hint of a smile on her face combined with the seemingly accidental exposure of the shoulder. Very tasteful and interesting.

The skin texture has been mentioned before - I would like to suggest that the makeup for this particular lighting might be less than ideal. On my monitor the face appears more reddish whereas the shoulder is nicely bronze / golden. In this framing I feel that it urges the viewer to compare the different display of the skin.

Jan 25, 2013 at 05:52 PM
JakeB.
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Outside of my element, inside.

Thanks everyone.

friscoron wrote:
I like this shot a lot, love the lighting. I don't think smoothing will help the skin without turning it plastic. Pores are a bit deep here. I'd leave it as it is. I really like this!

Thanks! This is the case... I actually did do a bit of skin smoothing, but like you mention, her pores are deep and noticable. I hate the plasticky look, so I stopped here.

fgransee wrote:
I do like the composition and the model is certainly very pretty. I like the hint of a smile on her face combined with the seemingly accidental exposure of the shoulder. Very tasteful and interesting.

The skin texture has been mentioned before - I would like to suggest that the makeup for this particular lighting might be less than ideal. On my monitor the face appears more reddish whereas the shoulder is nicely bronze / golden. In this framing I feel that it urges the viewer to compare the different display of the skin.

Thank you. The note on the color of her makeup is a great one. something to keep in mind for the next session, and maybe something I can revisit on this edit.

I appreciate all of the comments!

Jan 25, 2013 at 09:30 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password