Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

naturephoto1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

I am not ready to make the purchase of the Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens but I am considering this lens and am interested in input on this lens. Presently I have a Fujifilm XE-1 as well as the Lumix G1. I am debating the purchase of the Leica M 240 in the future (or another FF mirrorless camera after release). At present I have and am using a full battery of 16 Leica R lenses ranging from 21mm to 560mm.

For those experienced with this lens (and I know that Zeiss is scheduled to come out with one for the Fuji mount), do you suggest that if I purchase this lens that I should buy it in the Leica M mount and an f4 aperture (minimum focus or 18") or purchase it in the Nikon F mount with an f3.5 aperture (minimum focus of 11.81") and live with the aperture adjustment and focus that operate in the opposite direction of my Leica lenses?

Thanks for any thought and comments.

Rich

Jan 24, 2013 at 05:45 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

AFAIK the M lens is very strong, nearly as good as the Leica at a much lower price. The Z lens is much more controversial, and it has to be handled with some care to maximise the quality of the results, but I recall that someone (a member of an Austrian orchestra, or something similar, IIRC) was using one with impressive results. Perhaps search early on in the ZE/ZF/ZM thread.

Jan 24, 2013 at 05:50 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

carstenw wrote:
AFAIK the M lens is very strong, nearly as good as the Leica at a much lower price.

+1

I love mine.

Jan 24, 2013 at 05:53 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

Carsten, Thank you. Edward, that is really good to know. If nothing else, I could get the M adapter and use it with Fujifilm XE-1 for a time and when and if I purchase the M 240 also use it on the Leica mounted directly with the M mount.

Rich

Jan 24, 2013 at 05:58 PM
Bijltje
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

Why would u consider a big slr lens for a rangefinder camera? The M mount version is smaller, has great optics and the best thing, its rangefinder coupled.

Using it on a mirrorless camera with an adapter means u can also use a smaller (thinner) adapter.

Personally trough, I went for the leica 18mm super elmar. Its a little more compact, has great optics and has a focusknob which I like better on a rangefinder camera.

Only downside for the leica is u need a adapter to use filters, and those are the big 77mm ones while the zeiss usses 58mm. So the zeiss is a little handier with filters.
Not a problem when U have big filters lying around trough.

Jan 24, 2013 at 06:08 PM
bobring
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

I really like my 18mm CZ lens. This shot was taken with my D800E. I have an X-E1 and just got a Fotodiox adapter for the Nikon DSLR lenses. Should be interesting. If I were you though and you're only going to use the lens on a Leica or an X-E1, I'd get the M version. Bob

NIKON D800E    Zeiss Distagon T* 2/25 ZF.2 lens    25mm    f/8.0    1/80s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 24, 2013 at 06:27 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

Here are 2 shots on the M9, cross posted from the Leica thread:

M9 - ZM 18/4 by edward karaa, on Flickr

M9 - ZM 18/4 by edward karaa, on Flickr

Jan 24, 2013 at 07:05 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

Now that it appears that the M240 does not seem to be in my future due to its restrictions, let me resurrect this thread.

Has anyone used the 18mm M Distagon on their Fujifilm X-E1 or Fujifilm X Pro1 cameras? If so, did you use the Fui adapter and how does the lens perform on these cameras?

Also, thoughts on using this lens on FF cameras (and if it is even possible with current FF cameras) and the thoughts on using it with a FF mirroless camera when they become available from Sony, Fuji, Ricoh, or anyone else during the course of the next year or so.

Extremely disappointed in what the new Leica M240 will offer to me for my needs including moving the magnified view, and 60 second maximum bulb setting to name but several of its limitations.

Rich

Feb 22, 2013 at 05:34 PM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

I have owned many Leica lenses and can tell you that they are incredible. However, IMHO, the Zeiss glass is just as good for a fraction of the price. My best photo financial decision was to dump all my R and M stuff including the DMR and move onto to Nikon with ZF lenses. Have a look here for comparing

ZM:

http://zeissimages.com/lensbrowser.php?lenstype=488

ZF/ZF.2

http://zeissimages.com/lensbrowser.php?lenstype=488
http://zeissimages.com/lensbrowser.php?lenstype=343

and

ZE

http://zeissimages.com/lensbrowser.php?lenstype=356

Feb 22, 2013 at 06:38 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

Yes, the ZM18 is a killer lens. Incredibly sharp images...

Feb 22, 2013 at 07:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

If there had been a remote chance of a full frame M-mount camera at a agreeable price I would never have sold the ZM18. It performs well on the M9 but since I didn't keep the M9 I let go of it in the end. It performs equally well on APS-C but in that sensor class it has some competition.

Feb 22, 2013 at 08:02 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

Holy hell, that is a good lens, almost as good as the 21mm Distagon, similar distortion pattern even, just half as much!..Ed, a great shot with it, the market; and what depth Bob. These Zeiss ultra wides always give me the impression 'the lens is on your side', lol.

Feb 23, 2013 at 04:41 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

naturephoto1 wrote:
Now that it appears that the M240 does not seem to be in my future due to its restrictions, let me resurrect this thread.

Has anyone used the 18mm M Distagon on their Fujifilm X-E1 or Fujifilm X Pro1 cameras? If so, did you use the Fui adapter and how does the lens perform on these cameras?

Also, thoughts on using this lens on FF cameras (and if it is even possible with current FF cameras) and the thoughts on using it with a FF mirroless camera when they become available from Sony, Fuji, Ricoh, or anyone else during the course of
...Show more

I would be curious too, because the early results I saw with a number of wide angle M-series lenses on the XP1 didn't look good in the edges/corners. It wasn't a problem of colour shift, rather, the general inability to render sharp details in a pleasing way.

I suspect this will be a huge differentiator between the M240 and any other FF MILC, unless those other MILCs' sensors are optimized for rangefinder lens designs. Therefore I would be cautious about selecting the ZM with this in mind. That said, you should be able to resell it relatively easily.

The Fuji 18 seems to be a different animal from the ZM. From what I've seen, it's not really optimized for edge performance and seems to need stopping down a fair amount. For the X series, if the ZM doesn't pan out, I'd probably wait for the Zeiss release. BTW, you can rent the ZM and ZF from lensrentals. They also have the Fuji M to X mount adapter.

Feb 23, 2013 at 05:16 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

Here's a quick test with the Leica 18/3.8 on the X-Pro1: http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/dressup/20120712_546238.html

If you check the full-rez versions of the various wall shots, you'll see the edge smearing. While this is not the ZM18, many consider the Leica and Zeiss to be very similar and I wouldn't be surprised to see similar edge results from the ZM. In any case, something to test before buying, if possible.

P.S. welcome to the joys of adapting wide angle rangefinder lenses to various MILCs, often with less than ideal results.

Feb 23, 2013 at 05:55 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

Ron: I guess you are right on the sensor issue. I actually forgot about that.

The new XF 14mm seems to be tailored to suit the X-cameras better than the LeicaM/ZeissZM though the existing XF18mm doesn't seem to do as well as the XF14.

EDIT: link checked. Camera looks pretty sweet with that half case. Classy. I even like the color.

Feb 23, 2013 at 07:33 PM
thrice
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

I owned the ZM 18mm prior to getting my 21/3.4 Super-Elmar-M.
It was a great lens, just a little chunky for my taste

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:29 AM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

kosmoskatten wrote:
Ron: I guess you are right on the sensor issue. I actually forgot about that.

The new XF 14mm seems to be tailored to suit the X-cameras better than the LeicaM/ZeissZM though the existing XF18mm doesn't seem to do as well as the XF14.

EDIT: link checked. Camera looks pretty sweet with that half case. Classy. I even like the color.

Now, I am thinking about getting the XF14 for my X-E1 in the near future and then possibly the Distagon 18mm M if and when a FF mirrorless camera is released that will work well with the wide angle M lenses, Then I could use the 18mm lens on both cameras. But, in the mean time once I add the XF14 to the X-E1 system that would provide me with the equivalent to a 21mm lens for the camera system. My Leica R lenses in my system to add to this would include my 21mm f4 Super Angulon, 24mm f2.8 Elmarit, 35-70mm f4 Vario Elmar, 80-200mm f4 Vario Elmar, 100mm f2.8 Macro Apo Elmarit, 28mm f2.8 Super Angulon PC, 35mm f2 Summicron, and 50mm f2 Summicron.

Rich

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:59 AM
philber
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

The ZM 18 is pretty much the best WA lens to mount on a NEX. On the 5 and 6, no colour shift, on the 7, it is correctable. Very sharp indeed, and a pleasure to use, if a bit on the heavy side, though no more than Leica lenses.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:08 AM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

I lost interest in this lens after looking at images shot with it posted on photozone

Feb 25, 2013 at 06:26 PM
CVickery
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

AmbientMike wrote:
I lost interest in this lens after looking at images shot with it posted on photozone

That would be the ZF/ZE lens since photozone has never tested the ZM18. Based on the comments above the ZM18 would seem to be a significantly different lens.

Feb 26, 2013 at 03:21 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password