Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Need some advice on how to set up a studio for car photog...

firstgear99
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need some advice on how to set up a studio for car photography

A friend of mine recently had his car professionally photographed in a studio with white walls and a radiused corner to a white floor. The setup was very basic, but the challenge is the size. Probably need a wall at least 20 feet long, white and with radius to the floor and 12 to 14 feet out from the wall.

I know I could drywall my garage wall (garage is 24x42) and paint the floor white, but I am sure in the end that is exactly what it will look like. Is there some one piece fabric or paper that would be long enough and wide enough to do what I am talking about?

Ideas? Suggestions?

Jan 24, 2013 at 03:29 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need some advice on how to set up a studio for car photography

You're talking about making a cyclorama or cove, and you really need one much larger than you think to do a car. You have to have the car away from the background and then you need to be far enough away to frame and ceilings high enough to hang a large flat reflective panel to put a nice highlight in the paint. Cycs soak up a ton of paint and you're constantly repainting them for every shoot. It's not uncommon to have half an inch of paint or more built up on the floor over the years.

If you are just shooting detail shots, you can get away with some large softboxes and reflectors, but if you're doing the whole car it might be easier to shoot it outdoors at magic hour. You also might be able to rent someone's studio that has a suitable cove. It's a lot of work to build one yourself, especially the corner...

Jan 24, 2013 at 08:28 AM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need some advice on how to set up a studio for car photography

Thanks for the comments. But I am still thinking about it. My ceiling height is 11.5 feet in one building and 10' in another. The taller one has open joists above so no problem getting lights above.

I am looking for suggestions on how to do it.

Jan 24, 2013 at 06:08 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need some advice on how to set up a studio for car photography

Your ceiling height is kind of low, but I suppose you can get by with it in a pinch. It does not leave much room, especially if you have to bounce lights. If you're dead set on going forward, it's going to take some effort. I just moved my studio and elected not to build a cove this time. Just not as necessary as it used to be. I did build a 25x25 corner cove that was 16 feet tall and it was great for a lot of things, but unless you cove it back into the ceiling, you will often run out of wall on the top end. I use pre-made fiberglass sections from a company in Florida that seems to no longer be around. Those used a 36" radius and if I were to do it again, I would want something more like a 60" radius, which give you a much easier corner to light. Of course, the larger radius eats up more floor space.

I know people who have cut radius guides from sheets of plywood - sort of like ribs I guess, and then fastened 1/8 inch masonite to that and finally blend that into the wall and floor with drywall mud. Doing a wall that way is not too hard, but a radiused corner is the tricky part. You can ponder that one for a while.

Jan 26, 2013 at 08:37 AM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need some advice on how to set up a studio for car photography

Corner not as hard after viewing this video, wonder if I can get some help?

http://www.eyehandy.com/photography/how-to-build-a-cyclorama-photo-studio-with-ashley/

Jan 26, 2013 at 03:45 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password