Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · promediagear universal L-braket, any good?

sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · promediagear universal L-braket, any good?

my comment is simple as it has been said before:

if you can do all the work and get it done to your satisfaction then do so. if you can't then you will pay the fare of someone who can or do without.

don't talk about it, demonstrate your ability and do it.

for the designer/seller: market pricing conditions prevail

for the buyer: how much compromise are you willing to accept.

on the B29 and B35 plates. universal? yes and no more like versatile fit. the flange on the B29 would reduce its universalness somewhat on some camera bodies. on many Mformat cameras there is for the most part a pretty flat bottom so the need for custom fit is reduced considerably. I would say the B35 could be a more versatile fit due to its versatile layout. again that would be camera dependent overall.

Mar 11, 2013 at 08:33 AM
opfoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · promediagear universal L-braket, any good?

I have one I purchased a couple of years ago.....I love it... No affiliation, Happy customer thats all.

Mar 12, 2013 at 07:26 PM
sperraglia
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · promediagear universal L-braket, any good?

Used their camera plate on my 1div this weekend in Iceland - top notch. Will definitely buy from them again. I use specific plates instead of universal plates, but if the universals are as well made as their other plates then they are a good option for folks looking for an universal plate.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Gene_C
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · promediagear universal L-braket, any good?

SJM

I prefer to support those who innovate, not those who leach and cannibalize.

Would innovation also be as in the case of the original 5D3 L bracket where the RRS engineer admitted on the Canon forum that they used a borrowed camera to make the original L plate. The original had a rear anti rotation ledge that was cut at a 45 degree angle instead of radiused to fit the camera. It marked up the camera pretty badly if you used it. It didn't even sit flat on the bottom of the camera. Mine went back. You posted on this thread in the Canon forum, you should remember it well. As far as the Universal L plate from Pro Media gear, have you seen one? There is a lot of inovation. For what it is, nothing comes close. I use a lot of RRS products some are good, some not so good. Overpriced, yes.
But then again so is everyone else, it's a specialty business.

gene

Edited on Mar 17, 2013 at 09:28 AM · View previous versions

Mar 16, 2013 at 08:30 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · promediagear universal L-braket, any good?

I think the point is that the cost of the milling and material isn't by any stretch what it costs once you factor in the equipment, tooling, design, development, prototyping, testing and dozens of other real costs it takes to bring a product to market. And it kinda sucks when some companies do nothing more than jump in and knock off a product once someone else has made the investments and the market. Also, the great deal you got might not seem so great if you ever need help from the cheapo guys.

I'll say that lots of folks on this forum use the term "knockoff" a little loosely (and seem to think anything made in China is by definition a cheapo knockoff, which isn't true), but ultimately it is a matter of who you want to support and how good you really think it is. If you're happy, so be it.

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:20 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · promediagear universal L-braket, any good?

geniousc wrote:
SJM

Would innovation also be as in the case of the original 5D3 L bracket where the RRS engineer admitted on the Canon forum that they used a borrowed camera to make the original L plate. The original had a rear anti rotation ledge that was cut at a 45 degree angle instead of radiused to fit the camera. It marked up the camera pretty badly if you used it. It didn't even sit flat on the bottom of the camera. Mine went back. You posted on this thread in the Canon forum, you should remember it well. As far as
...Show more

actually I see and handle a lot of things that you don't see out in the wild.

and yes RRS did make a poor move on the original 5D3 bracket. no bodies perfect. I deal with that sort of issue a heck of a lot more then most here in my work. oh well. as far as over priced I guess then so is Kirk and a few other names as well as there pricing is within a few dollars. we all have perceptions of value and usability I don't need all that much and have probably a fairly minimal amount of RRS equipment vs many but I don't nickle and dime on it either. I to have had my issues with some RRS gear but in the end I go there first for the right reasons because they resolve them.

Apr 10, 2013 at 08:51 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.