Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · promediagear universal L-braket, any good?

Yong Ni

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · promediagear universal L-braket, any good?

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I am trying to find a L-braket that work with D600 and allow both gripped and non-gripped configuration, as well as occassional video shooting.

After looking around, I am considering this one from promediagear
http://store.promediagear.com/4-inch-Universal-L-Bracket-_p_135.html

Has anyone tried it? How is the quality of their product and compatibility with RRS lever clamp? I am thinking of using just the base plate in non-gripped use case.

I tried searching for feedback about their product but found none. Appreciate your feedback.

Yong

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:32 PM
peter_n
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · promediagear universal L-braket, any good?

I use a ProMediaGear PX3 universal plate which is very well made and thoughtfully designed. I also have a brand new RRS 60mm lever clamp (my first lever clamp - I'm a screw clamp fan) that claims to be self adjusting to plates. I use a lot of different plates and tested the ProMediaGear PX3 tonight and can report that the plate is very secure in the clamp.

I tested about six different plates including some from RRS and Wimberley, and the ProMediaGear plate appeared to have the best fit in terms of the depth that the plate dovetail reaches into the clamp jaw. The two dovetail surfaces are also parallel; IMO the ProMediaGear PX3 universal plate works very well with the RRS B2 LR II clamp.

Jan 26, 2013 at 01:41 AM
Yong Ni

p.1 #3 · promediagear universal L-braket, any good?

Awesome. Thanks for the information.

Jan 27, 2013 at 03:54 AM
spdntrxi
• •
p.1 #4 · promediagear universal L-braket, any good?

yes it's very good... normally I am a 100% RRS person, but this is one of the few times I've ventured out and got something else.... mainly because I use their fancy flash bracket rig, I had to also get their L-bracket... no issues working with all the other RRS gear I have.. which is all my clamps and ball heads etc etc.

Jan 27, 2013 at 04:38 PM
pixelshooter

p.1 #5 · promediagear universal L-braket, any good?

I use a pro media gear L bracket for my 5D Mark III. Love it. Fits great, and no complaints. I can access all ports, and even attach my strap to the bottom plate. Their design is unique - you can use only the bottom plate or attach the L plate to make it a complete L bracket.

Jan 31, 2013 at 07:45 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #6 · promediagear universal L-braket, any good?

Not that unique, other companies are making component L-plates too.

Jan 31, 2013 at 01:45 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · promediagear universal L-braket, any good?

I don't know if it's good or not. But it looks rather nice for being an universal L-plate. A few other things on their website also look nice

Feb 04, 2013 at 05:43 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · promediagear universal L-braket, any good?

somethings do look better in the store window don't they?

Feb 04, 2013 at 12:05 PM
sperraglia
• • •
p.1 #9 · promediagear universal L-braket, any good?

I ordered a L bracket for my 5dIII and a camera plate for the 1dIV - very, very nicely made. The L bracket didn't fit because I had a 3rd party grip that turns out to be slightly larger than real thing and they were so nice and sent me a return label. I will definitely order from these guys again as they make a nice product that is very reasonable.

To cynically sjms - they look just as good in person as they do in the store window

Mar 03, 2013 at 06:41 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · promediagear universal L-braket, any good?

it is a matter of taste and usability to me. I don't use L brackets on separate grip cameras. it is less universal the one thinks. you are willing to accept some things that I am less apt to.

Mar 03, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

liamtoh1

p.1 #11 · promediagear universal L-braket, any good?

I purchased their L-bracket for my D800 with a non-OEM grip. The fit is perfect and excellent workmanship. I can access the side ports of my camera (using a coin). The battery tray in the grip is also accessible with the mounted L-plate.

Great customer service. They had free shipping on their website, but not on Amazon (from where I purchased this bracket). After an email they refunded the shipping cost.

I am extremely pleased with the product.

Mar 04, 2013 at 12:45 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · promediagear universal L-braket, any good?

that is a type specific design in this case and should work quite well. in most user situations. but it is also a compromise when it comes to using the camera in portrait mode and using your ports.

my opinion is there is always a compromise in the term "universal" and it shows sooner or later.

Mar 06, 2013 at 12:55 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #13 · promediagear universal L-braket, any good?

I agree that the well-designed L-plates are great in terms of usability, but they can be very expensive. I use a RRS L-plate on my Sony NEX-7 and it cost $120, that's 11% of the cost of the camera body for a small piece of milled aluminum. There was a very revealing post on another forum several months ago from a guy who's a principal in a camera body accessories company. He gave a manufacturing cost estimate for these plates and the markups by the well-established brands are quite exorbitant.

I do think that these universal plates have their uses. I use them on four cameras; two medium format bodies, an SLR and a P&S. I have three universal plates including one from Wimberley and one from ProMediaGear that I use on a Fotoman 617 camera that's all-metal and pretty heavy. The performance is indistinguishable but the ProMediaGear plate was 1/2 the cost of the Wimberley.

My own experience with a ProMediaGear plate has been very good, and other posters above have apparently had similar experiences. Provided you select your plate judiciously for use and do your due diligence on performance there's no reason not to go with a less expensive product.

Mar 07, 2013 at 09:50 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · promediagear universal L-braket, any good?

again I ask when making a statement such as: "There was a very revealing post on another forum several months ago from a guy who's a principal in a camera body accessories company"

its simple:
who, what and where reference so it can be shared

and you do know that when all the concept/baseline work is done (especially when its not done by you) it does become easier to produce and then costs are reduced. that's how certain economies flourish. all the hard work is done for them.

I prefer to support those who innovate, not those who leach and cannibalize.

now the definition of innovation is far from same to all people.

oh I do agree that a "universal plate" is useful. useful as long as you are willing to work within their limits. they are less pricey due to the one for all and all for one nature. you really don't have to design and stock for the differences.

Edited on Mar 08, 2013 at 05:55 PM · View previous versions

Mar 08, 2013 at 01:15 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #15 · promediagear universal L-braket, any good?

sjms wrote:
who, what and where reference so it can be shared

I will look for it tonight. I think the numbers he gave applied to universal plates as I recall. The camera-specific L-plates are obviously more expensive.

Actually I may not be able to look tonight. We're having another big snowstorm here.

Mar 08, 2013 at 02:05 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · promediagear universal L-braket, any good?

then we shall see.

Mar 08, 2013 at 05:56 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #17 · promediagear universal L-braket, any good?

OK found the post I read last year. He costed out a universal plate at $5.49 to manufacture, milling is 73% of that cost.

Let's throw in the overhead: R&D/prototyping, labor cost, depreciation on equipment, factory overhead, admin & selling, and double the cost of the item so $11 per plate total. (Could be wrong on this estimate but I understand that overhead on mechanical finished goods is around 46%.)

RRS sells a couple of universal-type plates for medium/large format cameras, the B29 & B35 for $55, Wimberley sells their P-5 plate for $52, and the ProMediaGear equivalent PX3 is now $29.95. Those are all pretty hefty markups.

Mar 09, 2013 at 02:48 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · promediagear universal L-braket, any good?

do you really want me to comment on that particular exercise?

using the "assume" principle it sounded like a plain rectangular real baseline plate. with no other data it was useless incomplete information.

so do you have some real data on specing out a the cost of designing a real plate from design time to the actually setup and machine cost for a specific lot. that includes tooling and actual steps? or is this just a block of alloy given a basic wedge edge and a hole blown thru it for the screw. cause when I hear "die cut gasket with the pressure sensitive adhesive applied" I here crap.

which he does make mention as an obvious get outa jail free card if questioned beyond the basics.

now if this is Mr Koenig of Luna Labs they also sorta (not in stock at this time with no date of availability to order for awhile) make (made?) a strap I like and use which retails out at $70 US+ shipping. I give them their due because of the design/functionality of the product not its manufacturing cost. I did have to modify it to work the way that was more to my liking.

quote from mr Koenig:
"Now, if you are running big gear, in a tough environment - get a fitted plate. The pricing dynamics are different because there is some more R&D involved, the production volumes go way down and you now have a very niche SKU to manage. Still though - it isn't exactly rocket ship building."

so is building a strap with a $70 price tag.

WEAK!

Quote from LL on their $70 Cinch Strap that I like, own and use:

"Cinch is like no other camera strap available today and we've never built any of our products like anyone else. Cinch's shoulder pad is reenforced with mil-spec mechanical stretch webbing and easily holds over 250lbs. Edges are all finished with die-cut, full grain American leather. The polymer camera connectors and webbing are all the same kind that NASA specifies and flies. Our metal hardware is all CNC machined aerospace grade aluminum. For the geeks out there, itís 6061-T6 thatís been Type II anodized. CinchMount is black-oxide finished ordinance steel.

We donít skimp on anything. Itís simply not in our nature. Even the smallest of details has been lovingly designed for maximum utility and enjoyment.

One more thing we should mention: Each and every Cinch is crafted in our hometown of Portland, Oregon USA."

a fine piece of techno babble with a little flag wave at the end marketing run. again I say I do like this strap and use it all the time. I'd like to get a second one but.........

as you can see also that LL is "on hiatus" "retooling" at this time. this will be the second time for them of (0) product for en extended period.

the pot should not call the kettle black

Edited on Mar 10, 2013 at 12:11 PM · View previous versions

Mar 09, 2013 at 03:02 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · promediagear universal L-braket, any good?

It is not worth the excercise. Cheapskates need not purchase such products.

EBH

Mar 09, 2013 at 03:09 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #20 · promediagear universal L-braket, any good?

OK this I understand:

sjms wrote:
do you really want me to comment on that particular exercise? using the "assume" principle it sounded like a plain rectangular real baseline plate.

Why not? Benro/Induro are selling your basic rectangular plate on Amazon for $28.00, and their cost of finished goods is undoubtedly less than $5.49!

EB-1 wrote:
It is not worth the excercise. Cheapskates need not purchase such products.

Excuse me, but this cheapskate has been using a Benro PU-60 (just a wee bit bigger than the plate in the link above) for many years and it's been as reliable as my Wimberley plate!

Mar 11, 2013 at 01:07 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password