Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Help with an assignment.

gome1122
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Help with an assignment.

It's not really an assignment, as I'm not getting paid or anything like that. But I would still like your help. Not exactly sure where to post this either, so if you think there is a better place tell me and I will post it there. I'm 16 and I'm all in as far as photography. I mostly do sports around my school. My schools varsity basketball team is doing their second annul Brest cancer support game(last year they raised $4000 for Roswell park). I am going to the game later, but the coach came to me today and asked for me to take pictures so that the media can see the schools support for the event during the day(all the pictures last year in the news were from the game). So does anyone have any advice for taking pictures. I'm not a street photographer at all, I have a dslr not film or a street camera at all. So what are some tips for candid shots and quick poses maybe. Any way I can get really creative?

Jan 23, 2013 at 08:47 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Help with an assignment.

If I had this assignment, I'd want to know what's going on during the day. Then I'd ask myself, what's the most important aspect of that activity? Is it the nature of the activity itself? Or is it the enthusiasm of the participants in the activity? Since the basketball coach asked you to cover the day, I'd suggest back to him that the basketball team take an active part in the other activities of the day, and focus some shots of them doing whatever it is that's going on. Also, think of scale. If the activities have a lot of people participating, get some wide shots to show the support for the effort. If there aren't that many people participating in any given activity, go in tight and get expressions of individuals.

One more tip, coming from an old guy. If I were shooting this day, I would resist the urge to take the kind of photos that most 16-year-olds take. Goofy expressions, extreme closeups, hand signs, and weird poses may be good for Instagram or Facebook, but if you're going to share your photos with the media, photos of this sort will never get a second look. Capture joy, but not manufactured joy. There's a big difference.

Jan 23, 2013 at 08:59 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #3 · Help with an assignment.

Get permission from the school to use your flash in the gym and be able to get anywhere on the sidelines.

Take your whole kit and get some close up action shots around the hoop with the 70-200, with your 18-55 get both sides of the full bleachers in the shots to show the turnout and support. Use your 50 to hang out around the concession stand area and in front of the bleachers and ask to take individual or group shots of students having fun.

Take a notebook with you and get their email addresses along with the shot number. Email them photos of themselves in exchange for an up front donation to support the cause.

Jan 23, 2013 at 09:04 PM

jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Help with an assignment.

Can't teach you how to use a camera but make sure to have names of people in the photos. Magazines and most news papers prefer to say who is in a photo and what organization they are with as well as their position. Always get those in charge or paying for the event. 2-3 people per image. More than that and they are too wide for most layouts. Do at least 2 shots of each. Try to do 2 posed looking at camera and 2 of them pretending to talk with each other. Each publication has a look they prefer so you need both to get published. For the most important groups take 2 different looks. In other words move people around for a new look. Magazine #1 will not want to print the same image as magazine #2. This way you have exclusive for each of key people. Always do some background shots for atmosphere and fill. Scoreboard, flowers, food, team logos etc.
This is what most magazines and newspapers require. When I shoot an event the images are sent to 5-8 different publishers and all require the same.

Edited on Jan 23, 2013 at 10:15 PM · View previous versions

Jan 23, 2013 at 09:09 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Help with an assignment.

You have to start somewhere in doing something new, and this is a great place for you to start. Just think of this assignment as documenting all the little events/moments that make up the big event (your school's BC support). Try to shoot with available light, but if you have a flash, use it by bouncing it off a wall or the ceiling or whatever onto your subject.

You can get creative but be sure you're documenting the event first, then grab some creative shots. I wouldn't really pose people, but focus on documenting whatever they're doing. Have fun with this.

Jan 23, 2013 at 09:11 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #6 · Help with an assignment.

The main thing that the coach wants(talked to him earlier) is that tomorrow, most people are going to wear pink in support for breast cancer, since that's the point of the game. I try to not be like the rest of the 16 year old 'photographers' I know my camera well, I shoot manual, I'm not very snap happy. And I like a good composition. Maybe a few snapshots here and there because of the rush, but I try not to. I tried shooting with the flash in an earlier game and it doesn't do as much. But I'm asking more about the non sports photos I'm pretty experienced with sports photography. It's a small school, so I know almost everyone. Not many big events in the day so i'm going to try and get creative with it.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:17 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password