Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Program for both Mac and PC

whode

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Program for both Mac and PC

I currently manage my photos on a PC using Picasa. Is there a recommended program that would let me manage them from both a PC an a Mac? Could I store the photos on an external drive connected to my router or would I use some other means?

Jan 23, 2013 at 06:08 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #2 · Program for both Mac and PC

LightRoom
PhotoShop

Jan 23, 2013 at 06:14 PM
whode

p.1 #3 · Program for both Mac and PC

Thanks. I thought there were complications using Lightroom from both a Mac and a PC (maybe something about syncing catalogs)?

Jan 23, 2013 at 06:24 PM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Program for both Mac and PC

the catalog has to be on a disk drive that the computer sees as 'local' so that can be an issue. You'd have to manage keeping them in sync

Jan 23, 2013 at 06:28 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Program for both Mac and PC

With Photoshop the included companion application "Bridge" is used to index the files. It will display the contents of file folder from any location you select. There's the option to store the metadata for the RAW in a database of "sidecar" files in the same folder. The latter would be better if storing photos in different locations.

The Bridge UI is similar to spreading out slides on a light table to select and cull them. It also has full screen review, rating, sorting metadata functions. Not as robust in managing a large collection as Lightroom but more than adequate for my needs.

On the Mac Bridge can be configured in Preferences to automatically open another small app called "Bridge Downloader" when you attach the camera or insert the CF card in a reading. You then pick what folder you want them to be downloaded to and can attach custom metadata such as copyright 2012 and filenames with session name / date prefixes. The "side car" files are created and the folder opens in Bridge.

Double clicking the thumbnail in Bridge opens it in ACR. Any changes made in ACR are reflected in the Bridge thumbnail and preview when it is saved in Bridge. Changes made to one file in ACR, such as a test shot with a gray card, can be easily copy/pasted to the other files in the batch by clicking the circle icon that appears on the edited thumbnails. If you open the RAW in ACR then open from there in Photoshop any .PSD, JPG or other file you save is stored in the same folder as the RAW by default. The can be displayed separately in Bridge with a menu pick by file type.

I haven't shared the same folder with Mac and PC version of Bridge / PS for several years but I don't recall there being any compatibility issues since the RAW and sidecar file formats are identical.

Jan 23, 2013 at 09:40 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password