Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · transcend wifi SD? Updated.

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · transcend wifi SD? Updated.

just wanting to know if anyone has used the transcend wifi SD cards?

ok quick question/s

Do you have the ability to shoot RAW&Jpeg but just send the jpeg to the IOS/Android App?

are they as good as the EYE-Fi cards ?

any issues with the Transcend versions.

Im looking at the transcend (rather than the Eyefi or others) as I was browsing on Amazon and the transcend are much cheaper than the others AND also come in 32gb.

The size is a big plus. i want to shoot lots but dont want to clog up my ipad with RAW files. so being able to send the much smaller jpegs to the ipad and still have the space for a whole days shooting is a huge plus . (i was thinking of getting the new Eyefi 16gig but consider these still a tad small)

:See lower post for update:

Edited on Feb 03, 2013 at 05:30 PM · View previous versions

Jan 23, 2013 at 08:49 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · transcend wifi SD? Updated.

Here's a direct link to Transcend's product sheet:

http://www.transcend-info.com/support/dlcenter/edm/EN_ProductSheet_WiFiSD.pdf

Looks like no support for RAW files, unfortunately.

Jan 23, 2013 at 01:39 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · transcend wifi SD? Updated.

yeah that does look a problem.
but then im thinking that if it does not support raw and I shoot RAW&Jpeg onto the same card then maybe it only sees the jpeg so will send only that.

Or if the card does not support raw does that mean the camera cant write a raw file to the card in the first place?

dam all I want is to be able to send the jpegs to my Ipad so I can view images (and so can others) while ime out.

Ive send a question to transcend , but as with alot of tech support i doubt ill ever get a straight answer if they even bother to reply.

My current method works but has a few drawbacks

Im currently shooting just raw and Have an Airstash which sends the files to my ipad. the clever thing about that is it has an option to send jpeg only. it does this by stripping the embedded jpeg from the raw and just sending that (full res but compressed to 2mb which is fine for the ipad) .
problem is its fine for a few images but the stripping process means it takes ages for lots of files (at least it does it in the background)
i can send the full raw file which is marginaly quicker (but then I have an ipad full of raw files i dont need. (ipad and raw is not a good place, its a fast way to loose space that means you have to wipe the ipad and reinstall) .

maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and get an eye-fi. not that I like the cost or the 16gig max size. (I can get 2 of the transcend 32gig wifi cards for the cost of the eyefi 16gig and still have some change!)

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:21 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · transcend wifi SD? Updated.

ok so I just went ahead and ordered a 16 gig version. thought that for the price and the fact that im getting it from amazon (not yet had an issue with a return) it was worth a punt.

i'll post an update when i get it and have had a play with it

Jan 23, 2013 at 04:48 PM
sritri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · transcend wifi SD? Updated.

Been using the 16 gigger for a month now with a couple irritants. The file transfer seems quicker to my iPad, as I have set my 5D Mark 3 to send Small JPG to the SDCard and RAW to the CF.

A minor irritant for me is to get the WiFi up and then having iPad connect to it. Initially the WiFi card used to 'sleep' whenever the camera went to sleep and since the iPad would have reconnected to the known network, I kept thinking that the card was failing, when no photos showed up on the iPad.

The second irritant is that the card warms up a bit both inside the camera and if in a card reader and I am always worrying if this will have any other -ve effect.

Amazon rocks

Jan 24, 2013 at 03:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · transcend wifi SD? Updated.

sritri wrote:
Been using the 16 gigger for a month now with a couple irritants. The file transfer seems quicker to my iPad, as I have set my 5D Mark 3 to send Small JPG to the SDCard and RAW to the CF.

A minor irritant for me is to get the WiFi up and then having iPad connect to it. Initially the WiFi card used to 'sleep' whenever the camera went to sleep and since the iPad would have reconnected to the known network, I kept thinking that the card was failing, when no photos showed up on the iPad.

The second
...Show more

Nice to know someone else is using it .

So do you know if you can send both raw and jpeg to the card but have the card only deal with the jpeg .im not a dual card body user.

Also what app are you using? Is the free app any good or do I have to get shuttersnitch.?
I was having a look at shuttersnitch and it seems good , but I think the cost (in iPad terms ) its alot for an app .

Thanks in advance

Jan 24, 2013 at 07:35 AM
davidnholtjr
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · transcend wifi SD? Updated.

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Nice to know someone else is using it .

So do you know if you can send both raw and jpeg to the card but have the card only deal with the jpeg .im not a dual card body user.

Also what app are you using? Is the free app any good or do I have to get shuttersnitch.?
I was having a look at shuttersnitch and it seems good , but I think the cost (in iPad terms ) its alot for an app .

Thanks in advance

I was just going to post if anyone here has used this card.

So, what do you think of the card? Is it worth getting or just spend the extra money and get the Eye-fi card?

Feb 09, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · transcend wifi SD? Updated.

Ok I've had a couple of goes using this card with my iPad.

I've yet to go out for a real shoot so these are only my initial thoughts while testing things out.

1: raw , this was my big fear when I read the 'no raw support' comment. Well yes you can shot raw to the card. I've not attempted to send raw from the card to shuttersnitch as that's something I have no desire for. But if you shoot raw+jpeg the raw sits on the card and the jpeg goes to the IPad . Just how I wnt things

2: usability. Here's where things may be a bit iffy. It seems like I have to make the connection with te card manually . Other wifi devices I have connect straight away. It's not a big deal breaker but it seems like letting the camera go to sleep quits the connection . Maybe this is due in part to my iPad then connection to my home or work wifi and not then connecting back to the card. Out in the field when I don't have a wifi connectin the iPad knows about things maybe diffent.

3: sending jpegs automatically . Sometimes they send straight away and then other times they don't. I read on another forum (the shutter snitch one I think) that the card could only send 1 image from the buffer. Well that's not the case as I filled the buffer up to test and got NEARLY all the images. It seemed to miss the odd image in the middle of the set.
But then other times even just shooting 1 shot the connection didnt send the image either at all or (more often) the image was sent across when I shot again (2 were sent over)

I will say that shuttersnitch have just issued and update so maybe these things will be different.
You can at the end of a shoot (or at a convienient point) connect to the card and pull down your images. It will act as though its pulling all the images down but skips past the ones already sent and just fills in the gaps .

4: the supplied free app. Well other than needing it to configure the card its total crap. The shoot and view otion (which is what you want it for) only displays 1 image and then you have to say if you want it downloaded . Tried it once and was glad I bought shutter snitch.

5:speed a, write speed to the card is slower than my other SD cards in the SD/cf adapter but not a huge amount. Convienence more than makes up for it.
B, speed in transfer. Playing with differnt jpeg sizes to see the best size to send but it seems pretty quick if I send a more compressed full size jpeg from my 7D (3mb apprx)

Is it worth paying extra for eye-Fi ? I can't say (I've never used eyefi) but I do see there are plenty of threads on forums that detail many issues with the eyefi card so I guess its not imune to issues above.
My main beef with eyefi is cost and card size. My transcend card is 16gig but you can get a 32gig . Eyefi have only just come out with a 16gig card (which I can't find on sale here) but the usual one is 8gig and its still lots more than a 32 gig transcend.
My plan is to get a 32gig transcend card to go with the 16gig . That's probably as much as I need . I can fill the card with raw+jpeg files and when its full go onto the other card. It looks easy enough to specify different settings so that the iPad can see the 2 different cards. I believe you can only use 1 at a time but that's ok as that's the way I need to use them anyway

Feb 11, 2013 at 03:27 PM
davidnholtjr
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · transcend wifi SD? Updated.

Thanks for the info.

I can't use shutter snitch since it's iPad/phone only, so would just have to use the free app for it.

All I really need is to transfer photo's to my tab at the end of the day for posting to flickr, facebook etc.

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:13 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · transcend wifi SD? Updated.

Well it will do that.

But if that's all you need then have a look at the airstash

I have it . It takes standard SD cards (HC &XC as well) . Works with both iOS and android .
The free app is very good . It works as a media streamer (HD movies included) and I can send images from my iPad to it (not much else let's you send images from the iPad) .

I still use mine. The only drawback I found was that it treats raw+jpeg as one file and sends both to the iPad (in much the same way as the iPad cam connection kit) . But it will do a good thing with just a raw file. It will strip the embedded jpeg and send just that. Doing this is not quick but its a handy feature .
The tech team is very helpful . On a couple of occasions I have emailed them questions and suggestions . They always reply and if they like the suggestion they will work it into a future update . (The raw+jpeg thing may be changed soon) . It's not an alternative to the eyefi/transcend cards but its a nice device to have in te bag. At the moment mine has a 32gig card with 3 HD movies on and a bunch of image files that I didn't want cluttering up my iPad

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:46 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password