Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Rules & Guidelines | Uninsured Payment Alert!
How to post Feedback | How to Red-Flag a thread

NEVER use Paypal Gift, Venmo, Zelle, Apple Pay, Google Pay or any other uninsured payment!

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7              10       11       end

Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

wolfpacktx
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

Does the signature conformation require someone to sign when they receive the package? Can you show show paypal the signature of the buyer to get your money back?

dadgummit wrote:
Regular paypal does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to protect the seller despite having silly paragraphs and phrases that say oterwise. I shipped a $700 wrist watch via priority mail with insurance and signature conformation to a buyer here in the USA. The buyer claims he never received the package even though I have the date and time of the delivery. Without even asking me a question or giving me the chance to respond they took the money right out of my checking account and sent it to the buyer. Of course since the package was actually delivered the post office would not
...Show more

Jul 14, 2017 at 08:18 PM
westiegrrl

p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

I have sold 90+ pieces of photographic gear on Pentax Forums in the last 7 years and have rarely used PayPal gift. The couple of times that I did, I had the buyer put it in writing that they were assuming the risk if the item was not as described or was not received. I think the real resistance on the part of sellers to paying the 3% is that to recoup that and the shipping expense one has to ask more for the item. Buyers love a deal and expect sellers to accept a low ball offer and on top of that, eat a 3% PayPal fee and insured shipping. I for one, have cut way back on selling via on-line market places for this reason. Its just as easy to sell gear on Craig's List, meet the buyer at the bank to verify the cash is legit, and be done with it.

Jul 14, 2017 at 08:31 PM
westiegrrl

p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

One tip I can offer about shipping though is that it is imperative that you get a Certificate of Mailing if you use the USPS. If you do not have proof that they assumed care and custody of the package, the tracking and insurance is a wasted effort because they will request proof that the package was mailed. If you cannot provide that proof, they will not pay up on the insurance if the package is lost in transit. The Certificate of Mailing costs a $1.35 and it is money well spent.

Jul 14, 2017 at 08:36 PM
jecottrell
• • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

westiegrrl wrote:
...it is imperative that you get a Certificate of Mailing if you use the USPS. If you do not have proof that they assumed care and custody of the package, the tracking and insurance is a wasted effort because they will request proof that the package was mailed...

So, the tracking history isn't evidence enough that the package was accepted, handled and delivered by the Postal Service?

Jul 14, 2017 at 11:23 PM
unangelino
• • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

No, I believe you're correct.

If you'll note the first item on a tracking progress report is either the word "acceptance" or (as with my most recently mailed item shown below) "USPS in possession of item."

USPS insurance is both horrid and stupid-expensive but I doubt they'd try to dodge an insurance payout if a tracking record showed something similar.

Has anyone else had a contrary experience with USPS tracking/insurance?

jecottrell wrote:
So, the tracking history isn't evidence enough that the package was accepted, handled and delivered by the Postal Service?

Jul 15, 2017 at 01:17 AM
yeiter
• •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

Yes, payment has been made immediately in I think all cases, but access to that payment was always contingent upon delivery confirmation...that is unless the money was gifted

Jul 15, 2017 at 05:56 AM
RickPerry
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

PayPal is a service.. it cost money to set it up and to run it. They have a right to charge a fee for that service. If you ask for 'gift' PayPal ' then you are cheating the system that you are using. Before PaPal it was always a hassle to send and receive money. They deserve their fee.

Jul 15, 2017 at 06:58 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

Havenot read the entire 6 pages, so this may have been mentioned.
1. when I sell here (rarely, I mostly buy) I figure the paypal cost in to the cost of doing business.
2. If selling by regular paypal, insurance is mandatory. regardless of who pays for it.
3. As a buyer, I always use a credit card. It gives me an extra layer of protection, and I always make at least 1% in return. Keep in mind as a seller, if you were to accept credit card, it will cost you 2-3% anyways. That makes paypal fees not appear so onerous.

Jul 15, 2017 at 08:35 AM
iazybandit
• • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

yeiter wrote:
Yes, payment has been made immediately in I think all cases, but access to that payment was always contingent upon delivery confirmation...that is unless the money was gifted

Now that I think about it, it all depends on peoples account: Personal, Premier and Business accounts.

All payments whether gifted or normal payment has been immediate in my account unless it was eCheck and PayPal puts a hold until payment has been cleared. That is when PayPal will let you know its OK to send. I am on a Premier account.

I think for those who have a Personal account, your payments are held temporarily. So your payment is only released to you when you provide tracking and when I think it is delivered. After a few days or so, the payment is released to you.

I remember something similar happened to me when I was on Personal or when my account was "limited" (I forgot the reason).

Jul 15, 2017 at 10:14 AM
davidrhorer
• • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

fudoshingeist wrote:
My first purchase on this site was a scam. I didn't pay attention to the obvious warning signs but Paypal reimbursed me. That being said, when I sell, I am always wary. I've had buyers buy things, pay through paypal, I ship, and then I find out the card they used in Paypal was stolen. The person got their money back, and I was out an iPad. So as a seller, I prefer Paypal gift. It's a catch 22, however, since you can't get feedback without transactions, and you can't get transactions if people are wary of low feedback sellers.
...Show more

Keep in mind too that there are many buyers out here who won't do business with a seller who wants to be paid via Paypal gift (and who's willing to cheat Paypal in the process).

Jul 15, 2017 at 11:00 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mogud
• • • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

davidrhorer wrote:
Keep in mind too that there are many buyers out here who won't do business with a seller who wants to be paid via Paypal gift (and who's willing to cheat Paypal in the process).

I'm one of those buyers. I won't buy from any seller here that I have not seen their many posts in the many forums here. I won't buy where PayPall gift is used or required by the seller.

Jul 15, 2017 at 11:30 AM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

Can't you just drop it at a PO and ask for a recipt? If you do they scan your package into the system and give you a printed receipt, even if you printed postage from eBay, PayPal etc. Use it all the time with higher dollar items.

westiegrrl wrote:
One tip I can offer about shipping though is that it is imperative that you get a Certificate of Mailing if you use the USPS. If you do not have proof that they assumed care and custody of the package, the tracking and insurance is a wasted effort because they will request proof that the package was mailed. If you cannot provide that proof, they will not pay up on the insurance if the package is lost in transit. The Certificate of Mailing costs a $1.35 and it is money well spent.

Jul 15, 2017 at 12:03 PM
mach250
• • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

Has the buy and sell community degraded? I haven't been active in this area since about 2011 or 12.

Jul 15, 2017 at 08:31 PM
yeiter
• •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

"So your payment is only released to you when you provide tracking and when I think it is delivered. After a few days or so, the payment is released to you."

It seems to me that this would be a no brainer best way for PayPal to operate...The seller does not get access to the money, which PayPal holds, until the buyer provides confirmation that he/she has received the item as described...regardless of whether you are a premier member or whatever. Just seems like sound business idea...am I wrong?

While I am at it, I am also not convinced that insurance is worth the expense...I have done some googling and it can be a royal pain in the glutes to recoup your loss from the USPS etc...best insurance is lots of bubble wrap? Again, I would be interested in other opinions...I have never purchased insurance.

In response to a recent post about the market degrading, I have been buying and selling stuff via eBay and other sites incl CL for years and have never had an issue until just this past week. The seller seemed a little odd but then I figured that PayPal would hold the money until I got the 100-400 lens...I was wrong.

Jul 16, 2017 at 06:04 AM
fudoshingeist
• •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

I accept either method, but I don't see it as "cheating" paypal. If you do paypal gift, you get zero protection as either buyer or seller. The 3% you pay is in case something goes wrong.

Jul 16, 2017 at 11:42 AM
LPfromNJ
• •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

Like many others I see why Paypal charges Seller Fees. You are using their service to sell your item. It's a service fee. They charge the percentage because they don't know what you're going to sell your item for before it sells. What I don't get is how buyers are sometimes required to pay the seller for being able to sell his product for free. It's called a sellers fee not a buyers fee. When I shop online I don't ever have to pay any additional Paypal fee when I purchase. I don't understand this logic when people say "I'll take care of the PP fees". You're supposed to anyway it's in their contract! I've sold many items online- ebay, FB, used gear groups ect.... and never once charged PP fees. It's against the rules of the agreement with them. There are groups that are actually incorporating this in to their rules for being in the group. If you want the fees covered, add it to the asking price but don't tack it on later. Oh wait, if it's more expensive you might not sell it......

Jul 16, 2017 at 04:17 PM
iazybandit
• • •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

yeiter wrote:
"So your payment is only released to you when you provide tracking and when I think it is delivered. After a few days or so, the payment is released to you."

It seems to me that this would be a no brainer best way for PayPal to operate...The seller does not get access to the money, which PayPal holds, until the buyer provides confirmation that he/she has received the item as described...regardless of whether you are a premier member or whatever. Just seems like sound business idea...am I wrong?

While I am at it, I am also not convinced that insurance is
...Show more
I'm a Premier and if you send me money (regardless of amount), no money is held. Once I receive payment, its in my account and I can transfer it out if I wanted to. The only payment that would be put on hold is an eCheck where PayPal needs to have the payment clear. Once its cleared, payment is in my account and they tell me to ship. Those who are having money temporarily held until its been confirmed may be Personal accounts? Can someone confirm?

If you wrap your item up properly and securely, I honestly don't think there is a need for insurance. Insurance would be more for the event that the package is lost and can not be found.

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:36 AM
drewmey
• •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

LPfromNJ wrote:
Like many others I see why Paypal charges Seller Fees. You are using their service to sell your item. It's a service fee. They charge the percentage because they don't know what you're going to sell your item for before it sells. What I don't get is how buyers are sometimes required to pay the seller for being able to sell his product for free. It's called a sellers fee not a buyers fee. When I shop online I don't ever have to pay any additional Paypal fee when I purchase. I don't understand this logic when people say "I'll
...Show more

I think it is against Paypal's policy because it is literally impossible.

If I post something for sale that is $100 plus Paypal's 3% and you agree to pay me $103, who paid for the Paypal Fee? The seller is still paying for the 3% fee, at least that is how Paypal would see it. It is impossible for the buyer to actually pay the fee in Paypal's perspective as the system is not setup to charge them.

A poster who say's $100 plus 3% Paypal is not really asking you to pay for the Paypal fees, they are telling you that they want to make $100 at the end of the day. It is a marketing tactic to make the number look lower. But at the end of the day, the price was always $103.

Jul 25, 2017 at 10:39 AM
Michael H
• • • •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

In adding a reply here to hopefully get this back up to the top. I'm doing this as I browse through things I'm interested in and very frequently see people asking for the gift option as payment.

Folks, this is a really bad idea. Add 3% to you asking price and be done with it. Get protection for both parties. If you want to offer a discount for other no fee options, great. Keep your sales simple for both sides and they always go better.

Ps: is Love to see this as a sticky post on the top

Jul 29, 2017 at 02:23 PM
westiegrrl

p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

Mathieu18 wrote:
Can't you just drop it at a PO and ask for a recipt? If you do they scan your package into the system and give you a printed receipt, even if you printed postage from eBay, PayPal etc. Use it all the time with higher dollar items.

You may be able to just ask for a receipt. It is so inconsistent with the USPS. Some of their staff will brush off the certificate of mailing (like they are embarrassed to charge you the $1.35 for it), give a receipt with the tracking number and not charge you. Some will not. Some seem to have never heard of a certificate of mailing and will argue that the tracking should be your proof, which is fine if it actually gets scanned before leaving the facility. I always request email notifications when I do click and ship, so I know where the package is. I had one package that I handed over, got the certificate of mailing, and never got another notification for a week until it was scanned and showed delivered. Tracking is only as good as the folks behind the scanner, Receipt or certificate of mailing. Just be sure to get one or the other.

Aug 02, 2017 at 09:05 PM

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.