1       2       3      
       5       6       7       end

Archive 2013 · Paypal Gift - Please read

unclechuck
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Paypal Gift - Please read

Let's see ...

You sent your friend in Kuala Lumpur a $2,500 gift hoping they would send you a NIB Mark 4. Only they didn't, and now they aren't answering your emails.

What's the problem?

Ever the gentleman, Fred Miranda is trying to put out warning lights without making rules --- this reminds me of one of my Fathers pearls of wisdom:

"You can't save people from themselves."

Jan 24, 2013 at 01:38 PM
godfather
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Paypal Gift - Please read

Great to see a lot of honest people on this forum. I hope they are paying sales (import) tax on all of these items shipped to different states / countries. Especially important is any professional using this service with depreciated gear. This site should be a first stop for IRS agents making sure people are not "forgetting" to pay taxes on a lens that is 6 years old but worth 80% of its value that they sell (online or otherwise).

If your not doing 100% of what is listed above there is no reason to be criticizing others...

** I have no problem whatsoever w/ what Fred is saying. He is totally correct that the buyers are not protected at all with gift payments. I presume this post follows a loss of money by a member on this forum which is very sad! I assume the guilty member now has a locked account and I did see this recently happen to a higher feedback individual. **

Jan 24, 2013 at 01:47 PM
SweetMk
• •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Paypal Gift - Please read

There is alternatives to this madness!!
First off, why is the guy with the cash taking all the risk? You want to sell something, send it and expect payment after.
Oh, wait, we as a society never do that. How many of you have jobs that pay up front for services rendered? I was never paid 2 weeks in advance for my job as an engineer.

The driving force behind the negative results of using PP gift is greed. Getting something at below the item's real value. We all know that is fun, but, there is risk involved.

It is not worth it to me to have to worry. I buy from KEH, Adorama, and the local brick and mortar store.

I love looking at the B&S stuff. I for one will never make a purchase of this type. - Never.
Why? It is not worth it to me. I refuse to worry over a few dollars.

My perusal of the photographic items sold show the selling price is always too high versus the risk - to me.

If you enjoy playing the used equipment buy and sell game, have fun. I for one, sit on the fringe and just watch.

Jan 24, 2013 at 02:08 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Paypal Gift - Please read

Andrew J wrote:
Almost every buyer that contacts you wants 100-200 dollars off the asking price then they want you to eat the 3% to boot.

Well, in fairness - and I'm not pointing fingers since I have no idea what you've sold - a lot of sellers are putting unrealistic numbers out there. I can't imagine paying 90% of the new, retail price of an item in order to deal with a missing warranty and the risk involved in this kind of individual transaction. Yet, it's not uncommon to see items listed at 90% of their retail value.

There are definitely unrealistic buyers out there - but that exists on both sides of the table.

Jan 24, 2013 at 02:29 PM
unclechuck
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Paypal Gift - Please read

binary visions wrote:

There are definitely unrealistic buyers out there - but that exists on both sides of the table.

It's a mystery to me why more buyers don't call and talk with Sellers about items over a few hundred dollars. It's easy. it's fun --- and it takes the username mask off both sides.

Jan 24, 2013 at 02:50 PM
tom in mpls
• • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Paypal Gift - Please read

About a year and a half ago I received a warning from Paypal that my account would be closed if I continued to use "gift" for purchases. Obviously they did not know what the purpose of the transactions was, but it would not be a big leap of logic to assume their true nature. At any rate, they have succeeding in intimidating me, and I do avoid it now.

Jan 24, 2013 at 04:03 PM
Sellerman
• •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Paypal Gift - Please read

tom in mpls wrote:
About a year and a half ago I received a warning from Paypal that my account would be closed if I continued to use "gift" for purchases. Obviously they did not know what the purpose of the transactions was, but it would not be a big leap of logic to assume their true nature. At any rate, they have succeeding in intimidating me, and I do avoid it now.

I sent 20 --- $20 Gifts last Christmas to kids on our family. Glad I did not get that warning.

Jan 24, 2013 at 04:44 PM
Jon Joshua
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Paypal Gift - Please read

Always pay with CC when using paypal. CC protection is your best defense against a scam. Paypal doesn't like to deal with chargebacks which is why they will try to resolve problems first.

When you pay with a gift, you can't use a CC so it's no wonder paypal won't protect you.

Jan 24, 2013 at 05:18 PM
TooManyShots
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Paypal Gift - Please read

Andrew J wrote:
Almost every buyer that contacts you wants 100-200 dollars off the asking price then they want you to eat the 3% to boot.

Correct. Fees tend to drive up the buying price. Same as the cost of doing business would drive up the cost of the items. Then, you get low ballers telling you that you can get the same item on Ebay for $100 less.

Edited on Jan 24, 2013 at 06:57 PM · View previous versions

Jan 24, 2013 at 06:47 PM
TooManyShots
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Paypal Gift - Please read

SweetMk wrote:
There is alternatives to this madness!!
First off, why is the guy with the cash taking all the risk? You want to sell something, send it and expect payment after.
Oh, wait, we as a society never do that. How many of you have jobs that pay up front for services rendered? I was never paid 2 weeks in advance for my job as an engineer.

The driving force behind the negative results of using PP gift is greed. Getting something at below the item's real value. We all know that is fun, but, there is risk involved.

It is not worth it to
...Show more

Which parts of the world you are living? Did you ever be able to bring a product home first and then paying your retailer later? No. Ship first and pay later..hehehehe Madness....

Jan 24, 2013 at 06:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

TooManyShots
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Paypal Gift - Please read

nesuser2 wrote:
i bought a macbook air on macrumors...paid PP gift. Let's say I started to sweat a lot when it wasn't showing up for an extended period. I called paypal before waiting too long and they verbally reprimanded me for what I did, put my money right back into my account. I got lucky! I NEVER use paypal gift unless I owe somebody money and they already delivered.

I concur with post #1, never ask for it....never send it. Pay the fees

Could you provide more details? Are you saying that you paid for a mac book via gift, in a sale on a message board, outside of Ebay. Then, you filed a claim to PayPal and PayPal refunded you the money. Even though the money may have already withdrawn from the seller account. And the seller account's bank information is no longer up to date. So, PayPal refunded you the money from their own pocket?

Jan 24, 2013 at 07:01 PM
SweetMk
• •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Paypal Gift - Please read

Which parts of the world you are living? Did you ever be able to bring a product home first and then paying your retailer later? No. Ship first and pay later..hehehehe Madness....

Your boss takes home YOUR product (YOUR work) before you get paid, every week. It is identical. The old world (1960's) had COD mail. I believe COD UPS may still be available. (Maybe even COD mail? I do not know, as I do not use it.)

There are many options available to the heavily complained about PP. Everybody wants the simplest approach, PP, the problem is, there seems to be shortcomings with it.

I do not hear anybody complaining about COD! Why? No problems with it? Or nobody uses it because it is slightly harder to use?

Mail a check, if the seller defaults on supplying a product, your bank can stop payment and take back funds just like PP, if the money still exists. I also think a bad check or lack of supplying a product, beyond some dollar amount over state lines is a federal felony. That sounds like protection.

I would be willing to bet cash (NOT PP, ) that a personal check is more secure than PP, and no fees. It is just more difficult to do (you gotta walk to the mail box), takes a little longer, and is not the latest computer wizz bang thing.
I for one, would never mess with the Feds!!

It is slightly harder to earn $2400 to pay for that camera that never arrived, IMHO.

I am surely no authority, but, I have accepted thousands of checks for payment over the last 21 years for a item. I have never had a bad check.

Anybody in the US want to risk time in a Fed Pen by sending a $1100 bad check to somebody? Not me!

Jan 24, 2013 at 07:16 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Paypal Gift - Please read

bump

Jul 14, 2017 at 03:05 PM
Mathieu18
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Paypal Gift - Please read

Maybe make it a sticky Fred?

Fred Miranda wrote:
bump

Jul 14, 2017 at 03:07 PM
WorldwideLeks
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Paypal Gift - Please read

Edited on Sep 21, 2017 at 07:28 PM · View previous versions

Jul 14, 2017 at 03:09 PM
butlerkid
• •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Paypal Gift - Please read

Agreed! A seller should respect the terms they agreed to when they signed up for the PayPal service.

I recently had a seller respond to a WTB of mine. Back and forth we went to the point I finally realized that he was simply using PM's to multiple people to auction off his item to the highest bidder here on FM. (I called him out on this and he told me he was "doing research" to determine what it was worth". Yeah, right! It's called an auction!) And yep, he wanted PayPal gift too! !

OTOH - I find that buying and selling on FM with established members is generally a great experience that involves win-win transactions with highly ethical (not to mention really nice) folks!

Jul 14, 2017 at 03:26 PM
Jacknut16
• •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Paypal Gift - Please read

I dealt with a Craigslist seller, sent him the money via paypal, they held the funds for 21 days since he was a new user. Once he got the money he started sending me incorrect tracking numbers, and then started making up excuses about how he wasn't home or couldn't send it out. I opened a dispute with Paypal, and they got me my 1800$ dollars back.

OTOH, I have dealt with GIFT payments a few times on here with reputable sellers and never had a problem.

I think Fred M is correct though, its just better not to be gifting money to people as a rule. You never know when someone will disappear.

The amount of people that will go to great lengths to scam you is quite frankly, amazing.

Jul 14, 2017 at 03:57 PM
davidrhorer

p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Paypal Gift - Please read

Couldn't agree with Fred, and many others here, more. Sellers/buyers who use Paypal gift defraud Paypal. It's that simple. And buyers who pay via Paypal gift are left with zero buyer protection in the event the transaction goes bad. Those purchases are not covered by Paypal Purchase Protection. Good luck, all.

Jul 14, 2017 at 05:55 PM
bargainguy
• •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Paypal Gift - Please read

I have used PP gift exactly once in my life. It was at a bike swap, a friend of mine had run out of cash buying stuff and wanted a bike I was selling for $200. He was taking the bike with him, I was selling it, PP gift worked just fine, as it was an in-person transaction with no questions.

Now for any online transaction where I'm buying at a distance, I want regular PP. Period. That 3% fee is cheap insurance IMO. I want it both as a seller and as a buyer, and I refuse to engage in any online transaction without it. If I'm selling something here and the buyer wants to use PP gift, I refuse. And I won't ever purchase at a distance with PP gift, that's just asking for trouble. With gift, the seller could send me a brick, or nothing at all - and I would have no recourse.

Jul 14, 2017 at 06:08 PM
eyphotog
• • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Paypal Gift - Please read

Fred is just doing his job to inform users in his site/forum. It's your decision to do whatever you want. Why is this even a discussion?

Jul 14, 2017 at 06:12 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password