How to post Feedback | How to Red-Flag a thread

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              6       7       end

Archive 2013 · Paypal Gift - Please read

papamac

Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Paypal Gift - Please read

You will only get your money back from paypal IF there is money in their account or available on their paypal buyers credit card, that's it, I know this from experience. If you have never had to deal with paypal resolution then all you are doing is regurgitating paypals retoric

Jan 23, 2013 at 09:28 PM
TooManyShots
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Paypal Gift - Please read

papamac wrote:
You will only get your money back from paypal IF there is money in their account or available on their paypal buyers credit card, that's it, I know this from experience. If you have never had to deal with paypal resolution then all you are doing is regurgitating paypals retoric

That would make sense because, unlike Ebay the fund is held until a positive feedback is given. Otherwise on the message board, once the fund is withdrawn from the seller account (3 to 4 days), there's no way to get the money back.

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:15 PM
walky
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Paypal Gift - Please read

I think Paypal is a rort. For people here, usually dealing in expensive trade, there should be as already said, a sliding scale. Paypal will offer little protection for sales that go bad outside of eBay, especially if the funds you have paid were drawn from the dodgy sellers account because they have a vested interest in keeping eBay members happy protecting their own brands, and none otherwise.

If you fund your purchases via eBay with a credit card, (this applies in Australia at least due to chargeback laws) they will in all likelihood do more to refund your money even when the scammer has split with the funds from the Paypal account, because they know that if you chargeback via your bank, the bank will draw on eBay's bank who in turn draw on eBay accounts because over here, the merchant is eBay and they bear the responsibility of ensuring you get what you paid for.
No doubt that is why they like to charge so much for their services, to cover all the ones that go bad...

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:25 PM
papamac

p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Paypal Gift - Please read

They should just lower the fee to say 1.5% and offer real insurance for a reasonable rate, then if the buyer decides to pass on the insurance it is solely on him and no one else.

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Thang
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Paypal Gift - Please read

papamac wrote:

+1 paypal resolution center is a JOKE.

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:23 AM
argar
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Paypal Gift - Please read

+1 paypal resolution center is a JOKE.

not exactly, There is lots of forum members who can say that PayPal save them from scammers. In most cases when scammer is involved and you used regular PayPal to make a payment and you react quickly, you will get your money back.

Edited on Jan 24, 2013 at 01:04 AM · View previous versions

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Paypal Gift - Please read

For the same fee you can use a credit card but get 100% protection. That is all the proof I need that PayPal is basically a scam.

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:46 AM
rhetor770

p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Paypal Gift - Please read

I actually contacted PayPal and asked if using "gift" for personal transactions such as selling cameras was against the rules--they explained we were under no obligation to select the three percent option. Using the gift option is within their rules, I think that they only make it seem otherwise to get more people to pay 3%. The benefit, however, they explained is that the 3% affords some protection, while a gift does not.

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:55 AM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Paypal Gift - Please read

I always ship insured. A responsible seller should ship insured, if the item has substantial value.

Second point, see above post. Paypal makes plenty of money from other transactions that I use them for.

ReneMurea wrote:
No established member will side with you if you use Paypal gift and the package is lost in the mail.
Second of all, Paypal is a business, they are in for the money. I don't understand why people think they should use paypal services for free.

Jan 24, 2013 at 01:13 AM
papamac

p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Paypal Gift - Please read

argar wrote:
problem is they make you wait until you can file a claim and then they give the other party too long to respond and by that time the money is long gone

Jan 24, 2013 at 02:12 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

bresso
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Paypal Gift - Please read

dadgummit wrote:
This is why I like the feedback here on the forum. it is easy to look into someone's history.

If the person has lots of positive feedback but most is from people with little or no feedback of their own that may be a red flag.

If the person has lots of positive feedback and when you look each entry is from a different established forum member you are probably pretty safe.

Feedback on the forum is nice, but it's no guarantee. I've recently received a fake email from FredMiranda that asked me to reactivate my account by clicking on a link. Then, the page (which looked just like the real thing) had a log-in box ready to steal my real account information... I did not fall for it, but I'm sure others may have. So scammers are actively trying to hack into account of members with good/great feedback. Once it's done, they'll quickly offer stuff for sale that they don't have to a unsuspecting, trustful member. The feedback system is therefore no guarantee.

(I reported it to fredmiranda by PM but he did not seem to care. At least, he did not bother getting back to me.)

Jan 24, 2013 at 02:58 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Paypal Gift - Please read

bresso wrote:
Feedback on the forum is nice, but it's no guarantee. I've recently received a fake email from FredMiranda that asked me to reactivate my account by clicking on a link. Then, the page (which looked just like the real thing) had a log-in box ready to steal my real account information... I did not fall for it, but I'm sure others may have. So scammers are actively trying to hack into account of members with good/great feedback. Once it's done, they'll quickly offer stuff for sale that they don't have to a unsuspecting, trustful member. The feedback system is therefore
...Show more

I got the same email, but it was to my email NOT linked to my fm account. Auto delete!

Jan 24, 2013 at 03:03 AM
Dan88
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Paypal Gift - Please read

thanks for that

Jan 24, 2013 at 03:31 AM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Paypal Gift - Please read

convergent wrote:
Fred, Thank you so much for this. I have been very frustrated with the whole Paypal "gift" usage by many. When I buy something, I am not giving a "gift" to the seller. In our world of so many feeling entitled to things for free, it seems that sellers don't feel that they should absorb the "cost of sales" and incorporate it into their price. Merchants do this. If you are selling something, you are a pseudo merchant. Offering Paypal increases the number of people that will want to buy from you (vs. check, money order, etc.), and greatly increases
...Show more

I agree. Thanks for bringing this up, Fred.

I wish people would just incorporate the cost into their sale price is that's big of an issue to them. I personally won't buy from someone who is skirting the rules of using Paypal by using the "gift" option. One doesn't walk into a Best Buy, for example, and pay one price for cash and then 3% more if they use a credit card. No difference here, IMO.

Bottom line is, if it's against the Paypal TOS then it shouldn't be done.

Jan 24, 2013 at 04:48 AM
pcvrz22g
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Paypal Gift - Please read

I have no problem using regular PayPal with established members. The fee does not bother me. With new members or members that have very low feedback I just will not do it and it has nothing to do with a fee. PayPal offers little to no protection to the seller outside of eBay sells.

As far as "whats right", I have given PayPal plenty of money in eBay and regular PayPal transactions to outweigh the few gift transactions I make to protect myself. I would also have no issue paying the same fee with a transaction option that let both the buyer and seller opt out of any protection.

Jan 24, 2013 at 05:15 AM
Eins

p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Paypal Gift - Please read

New FM member here, but not new to the world, and established on other tog forums and on ebay.

I appreciate the advice and see the good intention behind it. However, don't get so hung up on the 'gift' thought. Look at the category: Personal Payment. In that category, there is also a "Money owed" option. There. Money owed.

And will Paypal still make money? You bet. Just by letting funds sit for a day or ten, they make money with it, and when you transfer your funds to your bank, how long does it take? Four days! Time to make money again. So, don't feel sorry for Paypal for not getting their 3 greedy percent. They are not giving you a loan. They are getting to sit on your money for a bit.

Jan 24, 2013 at 06:16 AM
nesuser2

p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Paypal Gift - Please read

i bought a macbook air on macrumors...paid PP gift. Let's say I started to sweat a lot when it wasn't showing up for an extended period. I called paypal before waiting too long and they verbally reprimanded me for what I did, put my money right back into my account. I got lucky! I NEVER use paypal gift unless I owe somebody money and they already delivered.

I concur with post #1, never ask for it....never send it. Pay the fees

Jan 24, 2013 at 06:52 AM
AxelsHumanDad

p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Paypal Gift - Please read

[bobjames]- "I find it very irritating to have to add 3% to somedoby's asking price. I much pefer the seller to include all his expenses in his price, except maybe for shipping."

[Scott Sewell]-"I wish people would just incorporate the cost into their sale price is "that's big of an issue to them.

this. +++1.
Just tell me the total amount you want me to send. Why should I have to do your math for you.

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Paypal Gift - Please read

Almost every buyer that contacts you wants 100-200 dollars off the asking price then they want you to eat the 3% to boot.

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:42 AM
chez
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Paypal Gift - Please read

unangelino wrote:
i wish paypal could crack down on the abuse of their gift service. i like to use it once or twice a year to send a gift; imagine that.

it never fails to amaze me when otherwise savy fmers fail to simply add 3% (or more) to the asking price rather than playing the silly game of paypal gift.

beyond that, using pp gift for non-gifts cheats pp.

yes, a big company like ebay/pp can be cheated when their services are abused.

I totally agree about you on this. I also question if I even want to deal with a person that wants to cheat the system to save 3%. this just goes against their character and I just don't want to deal with people that have no ethics when it comes to paypal. Everyone signs up with paypal and they clearly state there is a charge for a transaction. The gift option is used to truly send a gift like I do to my daughter once a year.

Jan 24, 2013 at 01:22 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password