Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Rules & Guidelines | Uninsured Payment Alert!
How to post Feedback | How to Red-Flag a thread

NEVER use Paypal Gift, Venmo, Zelle, Apple Pay, Google Pay or any other uninsured payment!

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3              10       11       end

Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

pizdets17
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

I got scammed on a 5d3 on ebay for 2700. Paypal refunded my money. No gift for this guy. ever.

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Kevin Hummer
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

All YMMV. Feedback talks.

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:03 PM
papamac

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

ggOk wrote:
+1, I believe it's seller's resposibility to have package insured and claim if lost.

for Paypal Gift options... I'll make the call. if I'm purchasing item that costs more than my bi-week pay check, I'll pay the 3%. For everything else, it's reference first.

/r
Andy

Sorry but it now seems it is the buyers responsability to ask for insurance as I have just done a couple of deals on mu-43 and the sellers shipping did not include insurance and they wanted more money to get it for me. If I sell something I ALWAYS include insurance in the price then if the buyer wants to save a few bu ks and doesn't want insurance, which has happened a couple of times, I tell them fine but if it doesn't shlw up I will not refund their money, they change their mind rather quickly. As far as paypal is concerned if they had REAL insurance I would be glad to spend 3%, they say 2.9% but it is more like 3.14%. Paypal set themselves up for this by offering gift with no fee and I don't feel sorry for them, they are an ebay company of which all of their subsidiaries charge a sometimes unreasonable fee like ebay, pay to list THEN around 8% to sell plus the 3% they will get for you taking paypal, what a racket!

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Mike1.6
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

TooManyShots wrote:
How about some examples in which PayPal was able to help the buyers to recover the money when the deal has gone wrong...because the buyers were using the regular paypal? I am not talking about Ebay sales.

You forget that using PayPal to pay for an item with your credit card gives you the double protection of PayPal buyer protection and the ability to reverse the charge on your credit card. I don't know anyone personally that has failed to receive their money back using Paypal Credit Card payment. I know plenty of people who have been able to get there funds back though. Here's one from the Forum & Misc. forum:
Paypal refunds.

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:29 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

papamac wrote:
Sorry but it now seems it is the buyers responsability to ask for insurance as I have just done a couple of deals on mu-43 and the sellers shipping did not include insurance and they wanted more money to get it for me. If I sell something I ALWAYS include insurance in the price then if the buyer wants to save a few bu ks and doesn't want insurance, which has happened a couple of times, I tell them fine but if it doesn't shlw up I will not refund their money, they change their mind rather quickly. As far
...Show more

Is 10% closing fee. I believe they cap the max dollar amount to $100.

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:31 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

I also want to point out that there is no fee for paypal gift only if the fund is from the paypal balance or the bank account. It is still 3% fee for gift money from any other sources.

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:33 PM
jasonsim
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

convergent wrote:
Fred, Thank you so much for this. I have been very frustrated with the whole Paypal "gift" usage by many. When I buy something, I am not giving a "gift" to the seller. In our world of so many feeling entitled to things for free, it seems that sellers don't feel that they should absorb the "cost of sales" and incorporate it into their price. Merchants do this. If you are selling something, you are a pseudo merchant. Offering Paypal increases the number of people that will want to buy from you (vs. check, money order, etc.), and greatly increases
...Show more

Well...I for one do not like to absorb paypal fees on large ticket items. Neither does the buyer. One could include the 3% in the price, but after $25k in normal paypal sales, Paypal reports it to uncle Sam. So yet another tax on something I've already paid taxes on.

Folks also insure their packages with USPS, but I've heard so many horror stories trying to get the USPS to pay for a missing / undelivered item.

Jan 23, 2013 at 01:14 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

Despite it being against Paypal policy, I don't really have a problem with where the charges are placed as long as everyone is up front. I've seen several people on this board insist that the seller should incorporate those charges into their item cost and then offer a discount for other payment methods, which I find amusing. Why is different to say, "add 3% for Paypal" than it is to say, "subtract 3% for cash"?

I do, however, unequivocally believe that the item is the seller's responsibility up until it hits my doorstep. If the item goes missing, you don't get to wash your hands of it unless we've got a specific understanding that I deliberately chose to not insure the shipment and accepted the responsibility.

Anything I sell is shipped via insured mail. If the buyer is paying the shipping, that's what I quote to them. If the item goes missing, they get their money back and I deal with the shipper.

Jan 23, 2013 at 01:31 PM
argar
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

Sorry but it now seems it is the buyers responsability to ask for insurance as I have just done a couple of deals on mu-43 and the sellers shipping did not include insurance and they wanted more money to get it for me. If I sell something I ALWAYS include insurance in the price then if the buyer wants to save a few bu ks and doesn't want insurance, which has happened a couple of times, I tell them fine but if it doesn't shlw up I will not refund their money, they change their mind rather quickly. As far as
...Show more

Buyer can refuse insurance to lower costs, however according to PayPal seller is responsible for the package till buyer receive it. You can make an agreement with the buyer to do not insure the package however if the package really get lost your buyer can simple open a case and win it. Your agreement between you and him might not be enough for PayPal. PayPal follow their own rules, not yours... So keep it in mind - seller is always responsible for the package, insured or not.

--------------------------------

PayPal charge 2.9% + 0.30 not 3.14% you just count wrong.

F.E. to Pay 1000$ to someone

1030.18 - 2.9% - 0.30$ = 1000$

You do not count from the bottom

1000$ + 2.9% + 0.30$ = 1029.3$

Paypal charge from total amount, they do not add their fees, they subtract them from total.

Jan 23, 2013 at 02:11 PM
Mike1.6
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

Argar is absolutely correct on all of this.

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mikemflash

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

TooManyShots wrote:
How about some examples in which PayPal was able to help the buyers to recover the money when the deal has gone wrong...because the buyers were using the regular paypal? I am not talking about Ebay sales.

Forgive me, I'm new here and new to PayPal and I'm not certain I understand how using the service protects a purchaser when buying gear on these forums. Can somebody give me a quick explanation? Thanks.

Mike

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:26 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

mikemflash wrote:
Forgive me, I'm new here and new to PayPal and I'm not certain I understand how using the service protects a purchaser when buying gear on these forums. Can somebody give me a quick explanation? Thanks.

Mike

I am not new but I never need to resolve disputes the deals with the sellers or buyers. I am also clueless about the steps needed to resolve a transaction dispute outside of Ebay. I mean, would proofs needed to verify the transaction took place as well as the dollar amounts? Since here, on the message board, it is outside of Ebay, how much controls PayPal actually has to resolving issues? Are we all just duped by the sense of false security?

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:33 PM
bobjames
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

I find it very irritating to have to add 3% to somedoby's asking price. I much pefer the seller to include all his expenses in his price, except maybe for shipping.

When you buy something at Walmart, do they add 3% if you use your card?

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:36 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

bobjames wrote:
I find it very irritating to have to add 3% to somedoby's asking price. I much pefer the seller to include all his expenses in his price, except maybe for shipping.

When you buy something at Walmart, do they add 3% if you use your card?

No but you have to pay sales tax....

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:39 PM
dadgummit
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

pdmphoto wrote:
In general, I understand where you are coming from.

Some of us have been around here for a while and know other members likewise. I would rather deal with one of them, Paypal gift, check, or money order; than regular Paypal with a new member. Why pay the extra 3%?

Regular Paypal does little to protect the seller. More than a few sellers have been scammed by false claims. Seems more important to establish some trust with whoever you might be dealing with, before finalizing the deal, whether buying or selling.

Paypal, and the Ebay connection, can be frustrating (or even downright
...Show more

Regular paypal does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to protect the seller despite having silly paragraphs and phrases that say oterwise. I shipped a $700 wrist watch via priority mail with insurance and signature conformation to a buyer here in the USA. The buyer claims he never received the package even though I have the date and time of the delivery. Without even asking me a question or giving me the chance to respond they took the money right out of my checking account and sent it to the buyer. Of course since the package was actually delivered the post office would not let me lodge an insurance claim.

My opinion

Paypal gift: risk is 100% on the buyer if there is a bad seller there is no recourse

Regular paypal: risk is 100% on the Seller if there is a bad buyer there is no recourse

I would never sell anything to anyone who does not have excellent feedback unless it is via gift or money order. Others may be more willing to take the risk but I have donated enough to the notion that most people are good and honest. With the price of our equipment it is not worth the risk in my opinion.

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:46 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

+100, I lost twice against lousy sellers PP sided with them. I don't mind gifting with high feedback members.

dadgummit wrote:
Regular paypal does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to protect the seller despite having silly paragraphs and phrases that say oterwise.

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:49 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

Well, businesses pay significantly less than 3% on a credit card transaction. I believe the typical rate is around 1-1.5%.

Second, we are not primarily dealing with storefronts here. While I'm inclined to chalk up the credit card transaction fee as a cost of doing business, which can be spread over thousands of transactions (many of which are offsetting cash or check transactions) and added into the other huge costs of doing business, it's a little different when you're an independent seller putting something on the used market.

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:51 PM
papamac

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

Argar and mike1.6, explain this tk me then. I sold a lens recently for $425 regular paypal, at 2.9% the fee would be $12.33+.30=$12.63, I was charged $13.35+.30=$13.65, this works out to 3.14%+$.30. I called paypal and they said that those are the standard fees and I asked when they changed and there answer was get this "I can't remember" WTF! Also ebay fees are different for different kinds of auctions and items, all I am saying os I understand that they need to make a profit but tocharge to list then a IMO high percentage for selling and requiring that you offer paypal is legal extortion hence the reason I rarely sell on ebay anymore.

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:52 PM
dadgummit
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

kewlcanon wrote:
+100, I lost twice against lousy sellers PP sided with them. I don't mind gifting with high feedback members.

This is why I like the feedback here on the forum. it is easy to look into someone's history.

If the person has lots of positive feedback but most is from people with little or no feedback of their own that may be a red flag.

If the person has lots of positive feedback and when you look each entry is from a different established forum member you are probably pretty safe.

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:56 PM
dadgummit
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Alert: Uninsured payments and tips for safe transactions

mikemflash wrote:

Mike

If you buy something and pay for it using paypal then you have seller protection. If the item never arrives or if it arrives as a box of rubbish instead of what you purchased you can lodge a claim and get your money back.

Jan 23, 2013 at 04:03 PM

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.