New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 1D Mkii

Mattuso

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1D Mkii

Hi people,
Im new on here but have been looking at the forums for a while.
Looking for some opinions about a 1D mkii that i had bought that has a shutter problem. It leaves a black band across the image at times and you can see one of the blades crooked when to have a look when it does is.
Got in touch with Canon Sydney and they expect it would be around the $600 mark to replace it.
I bought it for second $450.......
so do i replace the shutter? or look at alternatives? ie. mkiiN or something along those lines?
Cheers, Matt

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:08 AM
jason.alabama
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1D Mkii

Yikes, tough call. If it were me I probably wouldn't fix it. Especially if it was doing it only intermittently. Any idea how often you are seeing this? 10% vs 80% makes a big difference.

The other thing to consider is if it is just shutter sticking, or you are worried about total shutter failure. If it is the latter, do you put the rear element of your glass at risk? I don't know the answer to this - maybe if you post an example pic of what an affected photo looks like, this might be helpful.

Good luck.

Jan 23, 2013 at 01:03 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1D Mkii

Man that's crap. Used to only be $300 or so for shutter. Typical Aussie price gouging.

What's the shutter count. If it's way under spec, demand it free.

Jan 23, 2013 at 01:06 AM
Mattuso

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1D Mkii

It's shutter count is around 175k when i checked.
Waiting on a reply from Canon atm.
Was the expected life of these around 300k?

Jan 23, 2013 at 04:25 AM
safcraft
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1D Mkii

Here in PT it also is very costly to replace a shutter on a 1D2.
I was quoted around 600€ , the used value of a 1D2 beeing around 650€ it was just not worth it.
So i bought the shutter on ebay for 80€ and replaced ti myself. Not easy, not recommendable, will not do it again. But it now works

Ps. The 1D cameras can do 200K and fail, or they can go on 500K and upwards...its a surprise

Jan 23, 2013 at 04:33 AM
Mattuso

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1D Mkii

Anyone want to trade the Mk ii for a lens plus cash from my end?
Looking at a 70-200 but might be interested in others..

Jan 24, 2013 at 07:53 PM
Mattuso

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1D Mkii

or possibly a 5d plus cash from my end

Jan 24, 2013 at 07:54 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1D Mkii

Well at least Canon in Sydney repairs the 1D2. Canon Canada will no longer service it.

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:43 PM
vivisha
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1D Mkii

safcraft wrote:
Here in PT it also is very costly to replace a shutter on a 1D2.
I was quoted around 600€ , the used value of a 1D2 beeing around 650€ it was just not worth it.
So i bought the shutter on ebay for 80€ and replaced ti myself. Not easy, not recommendable, will not do it again. But it now works

Ps. The 1D cameras can do 200K and fail, or they can go on 500K and upwards...its a surprise

Did you really replaced it yourself? I have a 1D2 with close to 200k, and have considered sending it to canon so they can replace the shutter, but then again it could go to 500k.

Jan 25, 2013 at 01:22 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.